Christian Music Listeners

Options

Replies

• RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't listen to much Christian music now, but I still love DC Talk, Skillet, Newsboys, etc.

Having a child means I also listen to alot of VeggieTales. :)
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Can somebody explain to me what separates Christian Music from other forms of music?

Didn't most music evolve from some form of spiritual beginning?
    Is it subject matter? A Christian list of approved subject matter and/ or groups? Who decides?

This may sound like I am not sincere, but I am. As a Blues afficiado, I am quite familiar with the evolution of modern day blues. And a serious influence was early Gospel and Spiritual Music. Can Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton, etc. be considered Christian Music?

I think the biggest differentiation between "Christian" and "secular" music, in the beginning, was that Christian contemporary music (CCM) was very overt in speaking about nothing but Christian themes in their songs. So while many artists sing songs that deal with their beliefs or walk with God, CCM is by and large set apart by its unspoken assumption that the listener is a Christian. But you're right, there are many artists who speak of their faith in their music who are not "Christian musicians." I'm a huge country fan, so Johnny Cash immediately comes to mind.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Can somebody explain to me what separates Christian Music from other forms of music?

Didn't most music evolve from some form of spiritual beginning?
    Is it subject matter? A Christian list of approved subject matter and/ or groups? Who decides?

This may sound like I am not sincere, but I am. As a Blues afficiado, I am quite familiar with the evolution of modern day blues. And a serious influence was early Gospel and Spiritual Music. Can Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton, etc. be considered Christian Music?

I think the biggest differentiation between "Christian" and "secular" music, in the beginning, was that Christian contemporary music (CCM) was very overt in speaking about nothing but Christian themes in their songs. So while many artists sing songs that deal with their beliefs or walk with God, CCM is by and large set apart by its unspoken assumption that the listener is a Christian. But you're right, there are many artists who speak of their faith in their music who are not "Christian musicians." I'm a huge country fan, so Johnny Cash immediately comes to mind.

Carrie Underwood does a few like this as well but yes I agree with this ^^
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Oh boy glad I ran into this post! My fav artist are:

KIM WALKER-SMITH (Worship)....Y'all got to hear this sister
    JESUS CULTURE
    WILLIAM MATTHEWS
    JOANNE ROSARIO
    NEWSBOYS
    SAMESTATE
    HEZEKIAH WALKER
    TEDASHII
    SHEKINAH GLORY
    LECRAE
    RICK PINO
    ANN NESBY

12146223.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    DC Talk
    Sanctus Real
    *** Third Day ***
    Jars of Clay
    Newsboys
    Michael W Smith
    Stephen Curtis Chapman
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Superchic{k}
    Counting Crowns
  • ajburroughs
    ajburroughs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My have is Fireflight, an old friend's group :)
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options

DC Talk ( yes...I know... lol... but they were still awesome...Jesus Freak was the first time I heard Christians rockin' LOL )

I still like DCT. I just converted my VHS copy of Rap, Rock and Soul to DVD. Holy cow are they young in that. It's a bit cheeseball, but still awesome.

Oh. my. word. LMAO! ... I totally remember that.. ;) Yes...they WERE crazy young... ;) I actually owe a lot to DCT...and how God used them in my life........ 2 of my best friends in the world I met in an AOL chat room about DCT back in the day.... one of whom is my best friend and roomate! In a strange way, they altered my life... because meeting my best friend in that chat room led me to move across the country... I also read some of Kevin's poetry...and started writing after that because I wanted to express myself in that way..and asked God to help me do so. So strange how music can change the course of one's life!

Now I have to go listen on my ipod... bringin' me back..... ;) ...listening to *What if I stumble*...
  • imafatloser
    Options
    bleach
    Superchic(k)
    Slingshot57
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Andrew Peterson <
    all time favorite!
    Chris August
    MercyMe
    Casting Crowns
    The City Harmonic
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Casting Crowns and Michael W. Smith here.
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Mercy Me
    Casting Crowns
    Michael W. Smith
    Jars of Clay

my all time favorite is my sister, she is not famous but has made her own CD where she wrote all the songs on it. I believe she could go pro. God is blessing her's and her husbands ministry all the time.
  • amberiam
    amberiam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas of songs/groups to download!
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I love SOOOOO many artists, but as far as GOSPEL: Mali Music, Canton Jones, Myron Butler, Earnest Pugh, Jonathan Nelson, Kirk Franklin, Lecrae, Trip Lee, Flame, Byron Cage, Israel and New Breed, and so many more...............

CHRISTIAN: New Life Worship, Jason Upton, Hillsong, Lakewood Church, Kari Jobe, Gateway Worship, Newsboys, Toby Mac, Christ for the Nations, etc.....

^^^^^^^^This is a great tool for playlist....We have exact same taste, my friend!!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    funny my favorites haven't been mentioned yet

Sara Groves
    JJ Heller
    Bethany Dillon
    Enter the Worship Circle
    Hillsong
    Jason Gray
    Matt Redman

If you want to get funky George Moss or Family Force 5
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    So if you're a Christian you aren't allowed to listen to good music. Bummer.

Christians are free to listen to any kind of music they want. CCM happens to be a genre in the States. Who knows why... maybe Americans like categorizing things. In most other countries, Christian music is on the radio with other types of music. Delirious was marketed as a Christian band in the U.S., and in Europe, they opened for Bon Jovi.
  • KristenCassandra
    KristenCassandra Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    funny my favorites haven't been mentioned yet

Sara Groves
    JJ Heller
    Bethany Dillon
    Enter the Worship Circle
    Hillsong
    Jason Gray
    Matt Redman

If you want to get funky George Moss or Family Force 5

Loooove Family Force 5!
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I like To Laodicea. They are a Christian metal band but I think they changed their name and I've forgotten what to.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I like To Laodicea. They are a Christian metal band but I think they changed their name and I've forgotten what to.
    Letters To Laodicea, had to look them up, as I never heard of them before now. :)
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    So if you're a Christian you aren't allowed to listen to good music. Bummer.

That is like saying, just because you're Irish, you drink heavy. Or just because you're African american, you belong to a gang and want to cap someone. Or just because your hair is blond you're mentally challenged.

Labels are as useful as a shotgun made out of cheese. Sure it looks pretty, but it is useless, except to the small amount of people who would eat it.

Christ called us to love all .... and some of us don't want to listen to music that tells us to do the opposite.
    Personally, my favorites include ones from the old "masters" Beethoven, Mozart and many others, that new great music didn't need lyrics. Instead the sound of music it self would touch you. I just can't seem to find good workout music from them :P