muscles no thanks

Options

Replies

• raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    how can I avoid gaining muscles?

Don't take steroids while lifting weights.

For the vast majority of the population (male and female) a moderate program of weight lifting will increase your strength, improve your injury resistance and make you feel a lot better without adding bulk. Bodybuilders spend hours a day in the gym and, I suspect, give mother nature a helping hand.

not true, we have guys here I work with that are just jacked and huge but never take steroids and I would know, I live with them

It's true. Some people are just genetically gifted! Le sigh!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have to question why anybody would respond to this post. Its just stupid.

because some people want to help and see others succeed and some people think that's stupid.

Believe me, I have always been here to help but the question "how can I avoid gaining muscles?" doesn't warrant an intelligent response. There is nothing behind it. It sounds like somebody looking for trouble. Sorry.

You can give people who are hoping to change their lives the benefit of the doubt by trying to figure out what they actually mean by their question. Those who care enough to read between the lines or who have discussed this with young women before, know that they usually mean-

"Im scared to start doing strength training because Im not sure how my body will react, if I will get bigger when I'd rather slim down, if it will make my veins pop out and give me a unfeminine physique. It also seems likea lot of work and I dont know if Im cut out to do it. Does anyone have any advice for me."

Would answering THAT question be stupid? Or is that one worthy?

You must be someone who likes to argue with people on here. I don't and never have. I'm always here to help, but I don't think an entire 3 or 4 page thread dedicated to people arguing over and over about who is right is beneficial to anyone. Its been done to death on here. It sounded like a troll post, or someone who really didn't care enough to search the forums for real answers to their questions...end of story. I'm shocked how much time people waste arguing about ridiculous things on here.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    just eat right and do cardio, no weights
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Why would you not want muscles?

Mind = blown
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Its because those who don't like muscles don't understand how important muscles are especially when it comes to our strength, metabolism & health. They got the wrong notion that having muscles means looking like a female Arnold Schwarzengger which is very false. Those women who ended up like that are juicing up on testosterone pills aside from the long hours of training but without it, these women will not get bulky since we women lack the necessary testosterone levels needed to build large muscles. Right now I bench press 60 lbs. & squat 75 lbs. and I've been doing that for more than a year but I don't have a bodybuilder-like body.

FYI, our heart is also a muscle.

That's just your assumption. I doubt many women think they would ever look like Arnold. Personally, I don't like muscles on women either. Never have. That's why when I was younger and naturally firm I didn't do strength training. Now at age 50, I do some. But I still don't "lift heavy". I do low weight high reps and it gives me the look I want.

FYI - aerobic exercise is the best way to exercise your heart
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Mind = blown

Oh, now don't tell me you haven't heard that before. :tongue:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Mind = blown

Oh, now don't tell me you haven't heard that before. :tongue:

You know me so well Bcatts =)
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options

For the vast majority of the population (male and female) a moderate program of weight lifting will increase your strength, improve your injury resistance and make you feel a lot better without adding bulk. Bodybuilders spend hours a day in the gym and, I suspect, give mother nature a helping hand.

not true, we have guys here I work with that are just jacked and huge but never take steroids and I would know, I live with them

Yes but that is not the norm. Those guys are the exception.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    High repetition low impact weight training... for sure you ain't gonna gain muscle...
  • loseweightjames
    Options

high reps, light weights, like 10 lbs dumbbells and under

and don't do Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST). Puts pounds of muscle on like crazy.... well, me at least, but i've always gained muscle fast.

I actually only started HST again after losing 13+ lbs because I was afraid if I did HST while trying to lose I'd put the weight I lost right back on in the form of muscle!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This thread needs to die
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I broke my pelvis and was forced to perform two weighted hikes and several long runs over the next month. By the time the doctors bothered to x-ray it the gap was the size of a quarter. I was told I would have problems all my life and my phyical therapist gave up on me. 7 years later lifting weights and building muscle has transformed my life. Still not done, but having muscle makes losing fat easier.

162-1.jpg
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Why would you want to avoid muscles?

^^My question exactly.....

Muscle growth is important in many aspects. That doesn't mean that you have to "bulk" up. Bulking up would take a lot of hardcore eating habits and some serious lifting. Lifting weights will help you look fit, build metabolism and build lean mass. I've been lifting since January and LOVE it!!!! I drink whey protein and amino acids to help with my muscle build and still, there doesn't appear to be any bulk in my future, which works for me! I want to be fit and appear fit...not just skinny.

www.skinnyms.com
    www.simplyshredded.com

These are both some good sites. Read up on it, talk to you doctor and do what's best for you. But please consider the benefits of building muscle.

Good Luck!
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The choice isn't being all muscled up vs being slender vs being fat. To avoid gaining muscle don't eat at a surplus while lifting heavy. Isn't it that simple? It actually takes work to gain muscle. You should still do weight bearing exercises though because it is good for you and will have the added bonus of making you look better.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer is don't exercise. Just diet.

This could make you "skinny fat" though.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    This thread needs to die

Very true sounds like a troll post which gathered more trollers on the way.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

^
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Oh wow..that first pic is just...sad. Body dismorphia for sure. How can ANY woman do that and think she looks good?

Why is it 'sad'? I certainly don't think it looks attractive, but it's not sad. It's how she wants to look.
  • Hawksbillus
    Hawksbillus Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you want to see what happens to real women (not body builders or steroid takers) who pump iron take a look at this:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I showed my wife this article and she said: "I want to be her!!!" Now my wife gets up with me at 6am several days a week for strength training.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you briansharpe I won't take any steroids. I was hit by a car so can't do any lifting because of I have a shattered disk in my spine and tendonitis in my right shoulder.

Hello mandyloo, but if I want to lose fat don't I have to exercise?

Thanks for your responses!

Even spinal injuries don't need to stop you from strength training. In fact, it will likely help you, as long as you make sure not to overdo it.

I have a herniated disc in my lower back. It's put me in enough pain to make me go to the ER. The best thing I've ever done for it is start strength training. For a while, it was simply bodyweight exercises that worked the core area (bellydancing, Pilates, and Yoga are all great for it), but I've started lifting weights, too. I'm able to deadlift and bench press around 100lbs, and I'm in no way "bulky" (not from muscle, anyway....fat is another matter).

Additionally, I don't think this woman is builky, nor has she let an accident stop her - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=j1lYDKbkpd8 (and she makes a lot of men look weak).