Any low Carbers out there?

Options
12346»

Replies

• J0ET
    J0ET Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi! I typically follow 50/30/20 - Pro/Fat/Carb Once a week I do a carb load day, usually the day before my heavy leg workout. It all depends on how I feel, what the mirror says & on rare occasion, what the scale says!

I'm new here & could use some friends - add me!
  • LeeRB1990
    LeeRB1990 Posts: 34
    Options
    yep, under 50g per day of carbs and I'm in the UK. Eating lots of oils and fats, naturally.

The photo isn't me, it's a guy that nobody told about starvation mode ;-)

He wasn't taking his Multi Vits lol
  • LeeRB1990
    Options
    I do love me the "OMG, I ate less than 2000 calories do you think I am in starvation mode" threads.

Lmao
  • LeeRB1990
    Options
    Also Low Carber here

Pleased to make new friends :)
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi,

For about 8 months now I've been eating moderate/low carb I guess in a 'primal' way of eating. I try to not eat anything processed and would love some friends to motivate me and give me some recipe ideas :)

I try not to go over 100g/day and it's working for me so far - Being that I was diagnosed as Insulin resistant and having issues with the dietitian telling me to eat 200g+/day and taking Metformin.

Feel free to add me (with a msg please)

Jess
  • amksmk
    amksmk Posts: 40
    Options
    no need to get personal and make fun of her hair!
    I don't agree with what she said, but there's no need to be mean, even if her tone was...
  • amksmk
    amksmk Posts: 40
    Options
    or maybe you have brain damage from the dye used to color your hair PURPLE!??!!!

no need to get personal and make fun of her hair!
    I don't agree with what she said, but there's no need to be mean, even if her tone was...
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Edit:

edited by mod
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Edit:

I love how people have started drama over one comment.

I think you guys might have low blood sugar and are just a bit crankywanky. D'awwww

too bad keto diets keep the most even blood sugar. do you read much?
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    I am not new to MFP by any stretch and adore the friends I have made on here. However, I only know one lady who is doing low carb. Are any of you lovely folks trying to reduce your carb intake or following a more ridgid no carb diet?
    It would be lovely to hear from you, please feel free to add me with a little message.
    Good luck with your weight and fitness journey, I look forwards to sharing it with you.
    Lotte

Im doing the 90 day challenge of P90X following the nutrition guide as best as possible. So for my first month Im aiming low carb and high protein to help burn the fat I want to lose ( 50% Protein, 30% carb, 20% fat). Next month I change it up (40% protein, 40% carb, 20% fat) . The final month changes again to balance out.
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am going to low-carb.. Need to reduce my waist line for health and looks.. Also have very HIGH Triglycerides. My Nutritionist suggest this site to track food and for moral support.. I joined yesterday.,,,
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am going to low-carb.. Need to reduce my waist line for health and looks.. Also have very HIGH Triglycerides. My Nutritionist suggest this site to track food and for moral support.. I joined yesterday.,,,

Welcome, Nancy!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am trying very hard to cut out the white stuff - bread, pasta, rice, white sugar, etc.

I am still eating fruit and "high carb" veggies and I do indulge in fried foods here and there.

But my doctor has recommended that I have a diet consisting primarily of organic meats and veggies and I have started trying to take his advice..
  • J5diecast
    Options
    Wow! I am amazed at the large variety of "low carbing" we have here. Some people are keeping it under 28 gms a day while others are staying under 100 gms a day. I do agree you shouldn't eliminate or severly restrict a portion of your diet, (a no carb diet is as dangerous as a 400 calorie a day diet would be), but don't think we need a doctor to tell us every move we need to make (whe I was having high cholestrol - I researched foods to lower cholesterol - not my MD). We need to research what diet will be best for our individual situation and alter it from there. We do need carbs, but have the choice to make smart decisions of which carbs we consume. I am trying to reduce my carbs, but also get most of the carbs I consume from fresh fruit/vegetables 6 days a week. The seventh day I have a free day so if I am really craving something, i know I can have it later in the week. I have also increased my protein. Is it working? Yes when I stick to it. I have been really struggling this last 2 weeks with bad carbs. I can tell a major difference when I consume them and have to get a control on this. Basically I believe everyone has to determine what is right for thier situation (diabetic, heart problems, just want to lose a few pounds, morbidly obese ect....) and what works for them. I plan on this being a lifestyle / diet change and to continue it after I lose my weight. Good luck to us all!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    a no carb diet is as dangerous as a 400 calorie a day diet would be

I do agree with your saying that we need to adjust our diet to our individual situation.

A 400-calorie diet is one step from starvation, and is indeed dangerous. However, people do very well on diets with 20g of carbs, which is the next thing to no-carb. What's the science behind your assertion that it's dangerous not to eat carbs?
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    a no carb diet is as dangerous as a 400 calorie a day diet would be

Where is the science to back it up?

The only essentials are

Essential Fatty Acids (FAT)
    Essential Amino Acids (Protein)

There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. Why? Because your body can make it's own glucose from the two Essentials. Going low carb is not dangerous, only to Type I diabetics, the high levels of keytones (sugar) can create serious issues depending on the quantity.

That being said, carbohydrates are nice to have, but not essential.
  • Amethyst125
    Amethyst125 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Yes I have been on a moderate low carb. Still eat fruit and losing. How are you doing.
  • hamsaurusrex
    Options
    I've been working my way to low carb over the past 5 or so days. Yesterday and today I was under 20g and I plan on keeping it that way. I spent a LOT of time reading and asking questions first to make sure that I knew what I was doing, especially as I have some medical issues that I like to keep on top of. So far I'm feeling quite well and energetic, and so does my SO who is doing this with me. Making a change to your diet is important and you should definitely educate yourself, but once you find something that works for you and keeps you healthy you should totally go for it.

Feel free to add me if you want :).