can of diet soda and cake mix? anyone?

Options
kbc525
kbc525 Posts: 149
I've heard this was a WW trick... I've never tried it and I am going to be making cupcakes later.. I read diet clear sodas such as 7up/sprites/cream sodas work for white/yellow cakes and diet cokes/pepsi/rootbear/chocolate soda work for chocolate cakes?

Any ideas? Suggestions? Was it good? Bad? Is it noticeable?

Please let me know your input!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• woopidydoo
    woopidydoo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It works great for me.. I'm vegan so this is how I make cakes. :)
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    cupcakes are bad...stop before its too late!!!!
  • kbc525
    Options
    cupcakes are bad...stop before its too late!!!!

they are bad... but I am a great fiance and make sure I bake and cook for my hard working man... and HE LOVES CUPCAKES... so I know if I make them eventually I may eat one or two... and I figure I would try it out this way and not tell him and see what he says ... :wink:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can use a can of club soda as well from what I've read. The cake suppose to come out pretty moist. Let us know how the cup cakes turn out.
  • teee12
    teee12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint you, but sugar turns into fat. Not good for you, if you're trying to lose weight... Unfortunately we all have to give ip the sweet things :/ but totally worth it in the end!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It works great for me.. I'm vegan so this is how I make cakes. :)

Same here. I've also done a can of crushed pineapples with cake mix and added shredded coconut for a pina colada cupcake.
    They do turn out much better if you make cupcakes. I like to have vanilla cake mix with diet cherry seven up.

Also (I hope this doesn't offend who posted this, this is meant to help) sugar does not turn into fat consuming more calories than you burn makes you fat.

=]
  • deedee0398
    deedee0398 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do this every time i make a cake and it turns out better than a regular cake. My family loves chocolate cake, so i use a can of Cherry coke zero and it gives it a little bit of a cherry taste. Really yummy
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint you, but sugar turns into fat. Not good for you, if you're trying to lose weight... Unfortunately we all have to give ip the sweet things :/ but totally worth it in the end!

Not true.

I've used soda before. It's okay. Not quite the same as with eggs and oil, but close enough and lower calories.

Go ahead and eat sweets once in a while. If you deprive yourself of things you love, eventually you'll quit. This should be for the rest of your life. Make it liveable.

Neither sugar nor anything else turns into fat, unless you eat too many calories.
  • Ashleacurtice
    Ashleacurtice Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ive done it a couple of times...any cake mix...20 ounces of diet 7 up...bake on 350 for 30 minutes let it cool then you put a thing of sugar free cool whip on top! YUMEEE!!! For WW you cut in into 20 peices and its 1 point per peice! :tongue:
  • Ashleacurtice
    Options
    I had entered into MFP recipe to! HERE YA GO = )
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/8238224
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Do you add it instead of eggs and oil? And how much? Thanks!

Ive heard of using one can of pumpkin instead of the oil and eggs. Want to try that next if I can locate some pumpkin in the UK :indifferent:
  • Ashleacurtice
    Options
    All u need is:
    The Cake mix, 20 ounces of diet 7 up and cool whip!! ITS SOOO EASY!!! No eggs, oil...or anything!
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I stay away from desserts. If I go out I get one bite of something. Just enough to taste it. The only thing I keep at home are sugar free popcycles. At 15 calories I can afford one. But even if I only take a bite of something when I'm out I log it. I do still buy mother stuff but I stay away from it. I've been off of my diabetic meds for 4 weeks now and still running in the 80's and 90's so no cheating. I gained all of my weight back when on Atkins by buying all their "low carb" stuff. Low carb certainly does not mean no calorie. Even though I was extremely strick with the no carb thing it still didn't work.
  • kbc525
    Options
    OK. I'm going to make the soda/cake cupcakes tonight.. not tell the man of the house, and let him eat one... i may even video his reaction.. tee-hee!:bigsmile:
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I made one with devil's food cake mix and diet root beer. I "frosted" it with Fat free cool whip that I had mixed sugar free raspberry jello powder into. I made it on a night when my husband's parents came for dinner, no one noticed! :laugh: I hope you both enjoy them, I know we did! My honey is doing MFP with me, and we are not believers in the "we all have to give up sweets to lose weight" theory...We just try to eat less of them and make them lower calorie when we can.:flowerforyou:
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Mine were an epic failure in every way.
  • FreeThotStrm
    Options
    Ive done it a couple of times...any cake mix...20 ounces of diet 7 up...bake on 350 for 30 minutes let it cool then you put a thing of sugar free cool whip on top! YUMEEE!!! For WW you cut in into 20 peices and its 1 point per peice! :tongue:

Thanks for this and for the nutritional info :)
  • kenscarlson
    kenscarlson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cobbler recipes also use 7-up. Best dessert ever! Especially if you have cast-iron.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I like to make mine with one can of crushed pineapple. Did this for my son's birthday and he LOVED it. I never thought of it as a diet thing-I'm just lazy when it comes to baking. :)
  • tomskat51
    Options
    I've done this many times and have mixed and matched all diet canned soda with misc different cake mixes. I love the diet black cherry soda or the diet orange soda in a dark fudge cake mix. They come out tasting similar to the chocolate covered fruit sticks by Brach's. I also mix 1 can of crushed pineapple (not drained) in an Angel Food mix and it's also wonderful. Just be careful to use a LARGE baking pan, since it nearly doubles in size.