can of diet soda and cake mix? anyone?

Options

Replies

• amfabiano
    Options
    I tried this last night, and it really does work! I used a box of yellow cake mix, and stirred in 1 can of Diet 7Up. I read that they dont rise that much, so I filled 12 muffin cups to the top (the entire box made 12 in total) and baked on 350 for about 20 min. They come out very dense and moist. They had a bit of lemon flavor (from the 7up... it really stands out when you bake with it I guess) and they were so sweet, I didnt even need icing. Granted I only got 12 cupckakes out of the entire box, but they are so dense you dont really need more than one to fill your sweet craving.

As others suggested, I'm going to try a chocolate cake mix with another kind of pop. Good luck everyone!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i love the idea of the cream soda used with a vanilla cake. my sisterinlaw is going to be thrilled with these variations on her diet coke cake. she said one piece is only 2 pts (she is on WW) and she loves desserts. has lost 34 lbs on WW, even eating sweets! :flowerforyou:
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    Use a bit less soda, I use 8-10 oz and you have to cook it a few minutes longer.
    I also spray the bottom of the cupcake pan and avoid the paper because it does stick. =p

Yea my cupcakes stuck to the paper.. that's how my fiance knew something was up... I think they taste pretty good though.. he noticed they tasted different but I think he was suspicious because of the sticky cake on the wrapper..
  • PaigeStephenson
    PaigeStephenson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I say make the cupcakes! For you and for your man.

All things in moderation. As long as you are able to be strong and not over indulge you should be fine. Save room in your calories and enjoy. That's what eating healthy is all about. You can't AVOID things that are yummy altogether or one day you will gorge yourself on cakes.

Cupcakes aren't bad. Sweets aren't going to make you fall off the wagon and gain weight - people do that to themselves.

Enjoy them in moderation.

p

ps - feel free to add me! I like the way you think! diet soda and cake mix .. WHO KNEW!!!
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I love this idea!
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I prefer the cake mix and can of Pumpkin recepie. It has lots of fiber and it is about 150 calories per muffin when you make 16.

I have tried this in response to Hungry Girl recipe with brownies, while they werent GROSS - they tasted diet-like... I didnt mind bc I got 3 minis for somethign like 60 calories but my hubby and colleagues were not huge fans. LOL! Guess its all about your audience, huh?
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Very Yummy, but not sure if it's right for cupcakes. The cake isn't super fluffy, but still very delicious. With some Fat Free Cool Whip on top...delish! I did chocolate cake mix with Diet Cherry Dr Pepper, that was amazing.
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    i tried it with brownies and it didn't do well. i see that the cake and soda do well here, so i will try that next time.
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's awesome! I think they tend to come out a bit crumbly, but very yummy! I like fruit sodas (i.e. Diet Sunkist or Diet Grape) with white cake mixes. Tried diet root beer once, it was yucky. Coke works well in chocolate cake
  • msmajor11
    msmajor11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've made these before and they are very easy and very good. This is the recipe that I use:
    http://www.meinthekitchen.com/2/post/2011/09/sticky-cakes.html
  • KelliA0628
    KelliA0628 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used Diet 7Up and strawberry cake with cool whip for a frosting...YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • alexandrahrah
    Options
    bump for all these awesome ideas! It is going to be harder to find some things (like diet cream soda and diet cherry dr pepper in canada) but I really want to try some of these!

thanks to the creative geniuses on here!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    You can also make a cobbler:

Put fruit in a pan, top with cake mix and pour a can of sprite over the top.

http://livingachangedlife.blogspot.com/2011/04/recipe-review-berry-cobbler.html
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint you, but sugar turns into fat. Not good for you, if you're trying to lose weight... Unfortunately we all have to give ip the sweet things :/ but totally worth it in the end!

I don't completely agree with this, we don't have to give up anything to lose weight, but we do have to learn to eat things in moderation, so I say give it a try....let us know how they turn out!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...actually, you don't have to give up anything. I've lost 22 pounds in 3.5 months and eat cake and ice cream almost every night. It's all about choices. "I'd rather have this than that." and "It's not worth it." Cake with my husband after dinner is "worth" it to me, and I stay within my calorie limits.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are bad for you. Your body was not intended to ingest chemicals and artificial sweeteners.

Make something natural, you know, the way NATURE intended us to eat.
  • shanny72mc
    Options
    I have used a chocolate cake mix and club soda before and it was really good. It had a cake-like brownie texture. I have also used a can of pumpkin with spice cake mix and that was also very good. I've never made these in cupcake form...only in 9x13 pans.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    so let me get this right (I'm gonna sound super mean and I'm ok with that),
    You would rather put artificial sweetener, color, flavor, phosphates and God knows what other chemicals into your body INSTEAD of a whole natural egg and substitute the oil with unsweetened applesuce??? If you are worried about the FAT in the egg then use the white only.
    Eat a smaller piece of cake and put REAL ingredients into it! I'm sorry but If I eat cake I'm gonna make it worth it! I wan the real deal with eggs and butter that way the craving is totally satisfied.
    Eat real feed not chemicals.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Diet sodas are bad for you. Your body was not intended to ingest chemicals and artificial sweeteners.

Make something natural, you know, the way NATURE intended us to eat.

Thank YOU! my thoughts exactly!
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've made these before and they are very easy and very good. This is the recipe that I use:
    http://www.meinthekitchen.com/2/post/2011/09/sticky-cakes.html

OMG! How cute is your cat! What breed is it? Exotic Short hair?