can of diet soda and cake mix? anyone?

Options

Replies

• Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it works beautifully!! I like A&W diet cream soda with yellow cake, and Diet Dr. Pepper or root beer for chocolate. Yum!! I've only done it with cakes, though. My sister tried it with cupcakes, and it didn't fare so well. I think she just didn't quite bake them long enough maybe. I say give it a go!!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I got this recipe trick from the Hungry Girl cookbooks... Cake turns out very fluffy and moist. Definitely lighter than traditional cake. I found that cupcakes were a little too crumbly and hard to unwrap. Cake pan worked great for me.
    You can also use crushed pineapple, canned pumpkin puree, applesauce, and yogurt. All work well and cut out all the added fat/cholesterol used in traditional cake mix recipes.
    And don't let anyone tell you that you CAN'T have any sweets while dieting. I ate dessert almost every day while losing 30 pounds. The key is portion control. If you've got room for it in your calorie budget for the day, you can have it!
  • hilarryus
    hilarryus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I prefer the cake mix and can of Pumpkin recepie. It has lots of fiber and it is about 150 calories per muffin when you make 16.
  • lysa4
    lysa4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just made this over the weekend from the Hungry Girl recipes...it turned out DELICIOUS! The cake didnt make it 48 hours in my house :)

The King of Choc'-n-Roll Cake

1/8th of cake: 215 calories, 6g fat, 345mg sodium, 39g carbs, 2g fiber, 20g sugars, 3.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 6*

Ingredients:

Frosting
    3/4 cup Cool Whip Free (thawed)
    1/4 cup reduced-fat peanut butter, room temperature

Cake
    Half of an 18.25-oz. box (about 1 3/4 cups) moist-style devil's food cake mix
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 cup club soda
    1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 very ripe medium banana)

Topping
    1 medium banana, sliced
    1 tbsp. mini chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" round cake pan with nonstick spray.

In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix frosting ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.

In a large bowl, stir cake mix with baking powder. Add remaining cake ingredients, and whisk until blended.

Pour batter into the cake pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean, about 30 minutes. Once cool, transfer cake to a plate. Evenly spread with frosting. Top with banana slices and chocolate chips.

Slice, serve, and enjoy! (Refrigerate leftovers.)

MAKES 8 SERVINGS
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I had entered into MFP recipe to! HERE YA GO = )
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/8238224

i clicked on the link..it too me to MY recipes.....how do I get to yours???
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    So I made them with one can of soda... my fiance said they tasted funny and they stuck to the cupcake paper... Oh well... I don't think they're too bad... but they do stick to the paper.. :( Maybe just in a cake pan they'd be better.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Use a bit less soda, I use 8-10 oz and you have to cook it a few minutes longer.
    I also spray the bottom of the cupcake pan and avoid the paper because it does stick. =p
  • aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Love these cupcakes! They're delicious. I always buy some fat free cool whip to put on top as frosting too. :)
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's worked well for us before. Someone made a chocolate cake for our engagement party and revealed this method to us after everyone was through complementing how awesome it was. Use diet soda if you're worried about sugar. Enjoy!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I had entered into MFP recipe to! HERE YA GO = )
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/8238224

i clicked on the link..it too me to MY recipes.....how do I get to yours???

We are not able to share the recipes that we've entered yet.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint you, but sugar turns into fat. Not good for you, if you're trying to lose weight... Unfortunately we all have to give ip the sweet things :/ but totally worth it in the end!

We don't have to give up all the sweet things. Eat them in moderation in your diet and you will be fine.

OP - The cake turns out very moist. I haven't tried it as cupcakes, but you may have to cook them longer to get them to hold up in the wrapper.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    my sisterinlaw just made this for me on saturday - diet coke with german chocolate food cake mix. absolutely delicious!
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times and you can't even tell that it isn't made the regular way. Last time I did it I used diet ginger ale in chocolate cake. For the frosting I mixed a pkg of sugar free pudding with 1 cup of skim milk and a tub of cool whip. It actually made double what I needed but it tastes great by itself too, almost like mousse.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Be a bit careful with your soda. Aspartame does not bake well.

They will be MUCH better with a diet soda sweetened with Splenda
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint you, but sugar turns into fat. Not good for you, if you're trying to lose weight... Unfortunately we all have to give ip the sweet things :/ but totally worth it in the end!

Not true.

I've used soda before. It's okay. Not quite the same as with eggs and oil, but close enough and lower calories.

Go ahead and eat sweets once in a while. If you deprive yourself of things you love, eventually you'll quit. This should be for the rest of your life. Make it liveable.

Neither sugar nor anything else turns into fat, unless you eat too many calories.

There's tons of truth to this. I use soda in cake mixes as well, and it's not the same, but close enough and they're still really good. Nobody has to give up sweets to lose weight. Deprivation makes you crave it so much more.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

I do not even bother tracking sugar b/c I know I'd be over every day with the amount of fruit, sweet cereal, and other treats I eat. I've lost 42 lbs. :-). You don't have to give up treats, you have to learn to enjoy them in moderation and make sure they fit into your calorie goals each day. As long as you do not eat more calories than your goal, your sugar won't turn into fat and you can still have some treats and still lose weight successfully. Although if you have certain medical conditions such as diabetes, insulin resistance, or PCOS, THEN you DO have to be more careful with sugar/carbs. But the average person without special medical considerations can still lose weight eating sugary things now and then. :-)
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!
  • bambi_woodward
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm going to give it a try. As far as cutting out sweets, I can't put my whole family on a no sugar/sweet diet (I have 2-5 year olds!) But what I can do is find ways to cut calories and fat. I feel like if I deprive myself of something, I tend to eat more of it. :wink:
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I use a yellow cake mix, 10oz diet orange soda and 2 egg whites....Mix together and bake according to the box directions.

After it cools I frost it with 1 tub of light cool whip mixed with a can of mandarin oranges (the ones in juice not syrup)

Call it "My Skinny Orange Cake"

The family loves it!!!!! GOOD LUCK:flowerforyou: