What to put on popcorn

Options
In an effort to get myself to snack healthier, I'm upping my popcorn intake (I am a salty snacks junkie D:)

Obviously drizzling butter all over it isn't the best option, so what do you put on your popcorn?
(I know I can eat it dry, but sometimes I want to switch it up a bit)

For the people suggesting spices - do you put butter or anything on it to make the spices stick? (I air-pop my popcorn, so it's dry)

Replies

• auntkimmie19
    Options
    If you like sweet/salty I recently discoverd mixing popcorn with cinnamon honey bunches of oats. To me it tastes like kettle corn and is low in calories as long as you use healthy popcorn. Other than that basic season salt is good on it too and mix in some croutons or some almonds.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on my popcorn.
  • histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I found this great bagged popcorn called Skinny Pop. It is only 135 cal for 3.5 cup serving. Think it is seasoned with just salt and sunflower oil. Best bagged popcorn I ever had.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves popcorn! We have a hot air popcron maker and she then just sprinkles salt on it; it's obviously not as nice as microwave popcorn as it doesn't have the fat but I challenge you to buy the micro popcorn, DON'T cook it, but open up the bag and have a look inside. The congealed fat that you see in there (which is what makes it taste so nice) is horrific and must be just like the inside of our arteries if we eat it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano

Taco seasonings (chili powder, cumin) tabasco sauce

Cinnamon sugar

Season All (salt based ... celery, paprika, onion flavors)
  • free2live72003
    Options
    bump
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    High in sodium BUT - I use that I can't believe it's not butter spray and then shake Old Bay seasoning on it...YOM
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    dill and powdered buttermilk!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound awful but my husband and I eat it with jalapenos we are spicy food junkies
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine does the taco seasoning - like from Costco - just a sprinkle of it. I've done some of the spritzes - like I can't believe it's not butter spray... or mixing in some other things as well - like a little salt, and a fun size pack of M&Ms and some nuts. just experiment!
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    One of my coworkers swears by Sriracha and lime popcorn, which would be much lower cal than butter. Never tried it myself, but only because I don't have a popcorn maker!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Molly McButter. Probably horrible sodium and other weird chemicals, but tastes great and cuts your craving for butter.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    They actually sell powder flavouring at your grocery store. It's like 60 calories per pouch of seasoning. There are tons of flavours, sour cream and onion, ketchup, dill pickle, bbq etc...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves popcorn! We have a hot air popcron maker and she then just sprinkles salt on it; it's obviously not as nice as microwave popcorn as it doesn't have the fat but I challenge you to buy the micro popcorn, DON'T cook it, but open up the bag and have a look inside. The congealed fat that you see in there (which is what makes it taste so nice) is horrific and must be just like the inside of our arteries if we eat it!

I like to use a microwave popcorn bowl, that way I know what goes in there. Adding just a teaspoon of oil helps the toppings stick.

Air popped popcorn ..... how do you get any seasoning to stick to it? Butter flavored sprays don't seem very healthy either. Maybe an olive oil mister would work.
  • melitok
    melitok Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Frank's Red Hot sauce!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love skinny pop, it doesn't taste like a bag popcorn, i dont know how they do it...i also make air popped at home with just sea salt, occasionally i will sprinkle parmesan cheese on it as well, do it when its warm and it coats it nicely.
  • koolmum
    koolmum Posts: 39
    Options
    Nutritional yeast ~ buttery, cheesy and salty ~ with 8g of protein per serving
  • allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    My boyfriend and I looove popcorn and have an air popper at home! We use Mom's Pantry popcorn seasonings (we have Ranch, Nacho Cheese & White Cheddar). They're delicious and a little goes a very long way!

I've also sprinkled brown sugar over my popcorn and it gives it a whole different kind of taste. Sweet instead of salty - delicious! Don't go too overboard - you really don't need that much to be able to taste it!
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I caught the end of a Dr Oz program the other day and he suggested Almond Milk and eat it like cereal. Doesn't sound real appetizing but who knows????