What to put on popcorn

Options

Replies

• DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I Love, Love popcorn!! I use the air popper and then spitz with a spray or two of non stick spray--any flavor you like and then add whatever seasonings you like. It will stick on the popcorn so it is not so dry. I have used several of the seasonings, including spicy french fry seasoning, but, I prefer plain old salt. Need to watch how much--because you will retain more water if you overdo.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My husband introduced this to me which i thought sounded GROSS but its so GOOD...
    Mustard.

Mustard is awesome on everything!!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I use kernel seasons they come in all kinds of flovors and are really low calorie and they have a butter that tastes really good and a ranch

I use this sometimes (in "all dressed" flavour) but it usually sticks to the bottom of the bowl and you have to put on quite a lot.

Now there are varieties of orville redenbacher flavoured popcorn you can buy and they are usually from their "smart pop" line (no butter) but I've never tried them. Personally, I just like plain popcorn better.
  • eknight69
    Options
    Spray Olive Oil cooking spray on the popcorn in layers. Just one or two quick sprays..along with Lemon Pepper seasoning....my favoirte way to eat popcorn :~)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    i eat popcorn several times a week

AIR POPPED always

different variations I have done

Mist with Grapeseed Oil
    then sprinkle with dill

Mist with Vinegar
    then sprinkle with salt

Mist with Olive oil
    then sprinkle with Italian Seasoning

Mist with water
    Sprinkle with Cinnamon, all spice

I havent gone real sweet with it yet. but I will give it a shot next time I want sweet!!
  • augstrac
    augstrac Posts: 14
    Options
    Recently i went to a health food store and picked up an organic popcorn made my Sunshine Acres, its very low sodium and oil. the popcorn is airpopped but tastes amazing and its only 120 calories for 2.5 cups!
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Frank's Red Hot sauce!

I Like Louisiana Hot Sauce on mine with a squirt of Lemon or Lime Juice
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    For a sweet AND salty treat in one, put a little honey on it, then after you've coated it well, add salt and pepper!!! I got this from a Weight Watchers mag one time and I'm absolutely hooked on it!!! You should try it, it's delicious... :bigsmile:
  • emmahaines1
    Options
    try a bit of salt and pepper with some dried chilli flakes.
    has a bit of kick to it which also speeds up your metabolism
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    I make my homemade "crackerjacks" by popping white corn kernels with a .5 tbsp of oil and .5 tsp truvia, when its done I salt it and throw in some sliced nuts!
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marielladear
    Options
    this is probably bad, but i put granulated sweetner, like barely any calories soooo yeahh :3
  • siouxnkiowa4ever
    Options
    don't think I would like ketchup popcorn? LOL the rest dont sound bad though :-)
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Old Bay!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves popcorn! We have a hot air popcron maker and she then just sprinkles salt on it; it's obviously not as nice as microwave popcorn as it doesn't have the fat but I challenge you to buy the micro popcorn, DON'T cook it, but open up the bag and have a look inside. The congealed fat that you see in there (which is what makes it taste so nice) is horrific and must be just like the inside of our arteries if we eat it!

Actually, that's not how it works. While it might be a helpful image for you, if you find it unappetizing and you really need to avoid the extra sodium in microwave popcorn, the plaque that builds up in arteries looks nothing like what is in a popcorn bag, mostly because it IS nothing like it. What's in the popcorn bag doesn't cause it either. Recent research says an ongoing inflammatory response is the cause, rather than fat or cholesterol in the diet. Fat certainly has more calories per gram than carbohydrates and protein, so you do need to conscious of how much of it you consume, but it's important to me to know what the medical research community currently thinks about how foods we eat affect health.

I also don't find the oil in a popcorn bag "horrific," but that might just be me...

Libby et al, "Inflammation and Atherosclerosis", Circulation 2001; 103: 1718–1720
    http://goo.gl/dsezw
  • FitLink
    Options
    I buy these because they're fine-grained enough to stick well without butter. For me, butter on popcorn has always been about getting salt and seasonings to stick... http://goo.gl/Kd1TQ

I like caramel, and parmesan, and..who am I kidding, I like them all except jalapeno.

Don't get me wrong, I love butter, but on popcorn, I've always only cared for it too keep the seasonings on.
  • FitLink
    Options
    ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S, MICROWAVE ORGANIC SMART POP BUTTER POPCORN! Only 120 calories for a 3.5 cup bag and it's organic popcorn, organic palm oil, and salt! Awesome! With the aforementioned seasonings it's even better!
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I gave away my microwave but used to nuke it in a brown paper bag and spray it with olive oil mister then add popcorn seasonings or salt. It does need some oil to stick to it, or someone suggested lemon juice? Good idea to get an air popper. I think I'll do that. I love popcorn, too, but find I can eat tons of it and I think 3 cups is 90 calories, which would be a good amount to aim for.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I *loove* Cabot cheddar powder. It's my favorite way to have popcorn. https://www.shopcabot.com/products/details.php?id=22