What to put on popcorn

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    We used to take out the cheese for the mac and cheese box and sprinkle that on our popcorn (lightly) or mix with butter (not as healthy though).

Not sure how bad that one is though
  • jgolden3
    jgolden3 Posts: 44 Member
    Great ideas here!
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    In an effort to get myself to snack healthier, I'm upping my popcorn intake (I am a salty snacks junkie D:)

Obviously drizzling butter all over it isn't the best option, so what do you put on your popcorn?
    (I know I can eat it dry, but sometimes I want to switch it up a bit)

For the people suggesting spices - do you put butter or anything on it to make the spices stick? (I air-pop my popcorn, so it's dry)

Try nutritional yeast. You get a cheesy like flavor without all the junk you don't want.
  • mandyallan2
    mandyallan2 Posts: 1 Member
    Saving to read later.
  • Bump
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Chocolate protein powder :D
    If you use microwave bag popcorn, sprinkle it in after microwaving the popcorn and shake the bag.
    If you don't use microwave popcorn, use sprinkle it on top and stir it through the popcorn
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    We actually bought an old fashioned stove popper because popcorn popped in oil is like heaven. We use as little coconut oil as possible without the popcorn burning and salt-- that's all-- and seriously amazing. It's about 100 cal for 2 cups so don't let that oil scare you. Coconut oil is healthier in my opinion that some chemical butter-like aerosol.
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    I have a hot air popper too, and it may sound sorta weird but a little olive oil and salt goes a long way. Tastes great and hardly any calories.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I like plain popcorn with a little olive oil, salt substitute and nutritional yeast. The nutritional yeast has a good cheesy flavor so it's like having cheese popcorn without all of the calories.

Just make sure it's nutritional yeast, not brewer's yeast- you can get nutritional yeast (powder) in a little shaker bottle like what spices come in. A tablespoon of the stuff in only 20 calories and has 2g carbs, 3g protein (and gluten/salt free). I get Bragg's brand on Amazon.com. I highly recommend it if you're a big popcorn fan!
  • I love to eat popcorn, lightly salted along with an apple. Have also ate lightly salted sugar sub mixture.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    lemon pepper or garlic pepper seasonings. THE BEST!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Try popping in coconut oil...MMMMM!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    I usually pop whatever I have in the cabinet (sometimes it's movie theater, sometimes it's butter lovers, sometimes it's plain)... and then I sprinkle garlic powder and sea salt on it. NOMNOMNOM!
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    I put garlic powder and cayenne pepper on my popcorn. Yum.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    In an effort to get myself to snack healthier, I'm upping my popcorn intake (I am a salty snacks junkie D:)

Obviously drizzling butter all over it isn't the best option, so what do you put on your popcorn?
    (I know I can eat it dry, but sometimes I want to switch it up a bit)

For the people suggesting spices - do you put butter or anything on it to make the spices stick? (I air-pop my popcorn, so it's dry)

What? Of course drizzling butter is the best option! Butter and salt are the best way to enjoy popcorn. It's the only thing I would ever put on my popcorn, unless I'm making caramel corn.
  • I have a dry ranch seasoning I sprinkle on, or else Lawry's season salt
  • KarenPopoff
    KarenPopoff Posts: 38 Member
    Bump
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    i pop my own in a paper sack lunch size bag (~1/8c at a time). then drizzle sesame seed oil and some sea salt over it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Soy sauce and tabasco, or
    Grated cheese and then popped into the microwave for 20 seconds to melt the cheese.
  • Pampered Chef makes a CITRIS BASIL seasoning that is AMAZING...I use the 0-cal spray on air popped popcorn then sprinkle that on and it is sooooo good :)

Also Hot Mustard (the kind that McDonalds has) is really good on it too!!!!