What to put on popcorn

Options

Replies

• jennie1095
    jennie1095 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Add some sectioning salt or some garlic powder. I also love to add some lemon juice on the popcorn.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    omg my family is all trying to cut down on calories. Go buy some yellow popping corn seeds and pop it in a tablespoon of vegetable oil its around 150 cal. and you get a big bowl :) also my brother likes parm. on his i dont know if its healthy but whatever. Hope it helps good luck!
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Tabasco

Parmesan cheese

Garlic powder

I have dry air popper. I still put butter on mine, but I can monitor the amount of butter.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    you can make plain microwave pop corn by puttin it in a brown paper lunch bag 2/3 cups plain kernels fold twice on the top and fold side down put in micro for 1:30 - 2 mins ...till popping slows....no fat ...salt or anything and no crazy 1980's airpopper lol

we use spray butter ...i cannot believe its not butter spray sometimes
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    omg my family is all trying to cut down on calories. Go buy some yellow popping corn seeds and pop it in a tablespoon of vegetable oil its around 150 cal. and you get a big bowl :) also my brother likes parm. on his i dont know if its healthy but whatever. Hope it helps good luck!

Try Coconut Oil instead of Vegetable oil. So many health benefits: http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump. Ive been craving popcorn for two days. I sprinkle parmesan on mine but I love all the other choices people are posting.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano

Taco seasonings (chili powder, cumin) tabasco sauce

Cinnamon sugar

Season All (salt based ... celery, paprika, onion flavors)

do you just sprinkle it on dry popcorn, or do you use butter to help it stick?
  • katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Tony's
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump...I am getting some great ideas
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    SPRITZ A LEMON WEDGE ON IT! its tart and its the same wet consistency as buttered popcorn...sooo delicious
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options

I'm in love with coconut oil, I can't believe I didn't think to use it on my popcorn! :D
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    There's a food blog called Smitten Kitchen. She has a recipe for kale chips that she crumbled and sprinkled on popcorn (there's a picture). http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/baked-kale-chips/
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I caught the end of a Dr Oz program the other day and he suggested Almond Milk and eat it like cereal. Doesn't sound real appetizing but who knows????

I tried it with some leftover air-popped popcorn & wasn't impressed at all. It was interesting, but wouldn't do it again
  • wvtracyann
    wvtracyann Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use kernel seasons they come in all kinds of flovors and are really low calorie and they have a butter that tastes really good and a ranch
  • WhisperALullaby
    WhisperALullaby Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bacon salt....

Comes in multiple bacon varieties, like applewood, hickory, and cheddar.

I know it sounds bad, but tasty!
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    SPRITZ A LEMON WEDGE ON IT! its tart and its the same wet consistency as buttered popcorn...sooo delicious

That sounds amazing! Maybe lime juice & taco seasonings? :D
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Lowry's Seasoned Salt. (But go lightly on it).

Also one more vote for grated parmesan - there's a theater in town that actually puts parmesan shakers on the counter for people to use. Not that crazy flavored salt, real parmesan cheese. I love that place :)

But frankly, I don't mind putting butter on my popcorn - I'm in the school that says that butter's not so bad for you after all, and I don't go around drenching the REST of my food in butter, so why not live a little?
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I caught the end of a Dr Oz program the other day and he suggested Almond Milk and eat it like cereal. Doesn't sound real appetizing but who knows????

I have a book about popcorn and it says that folks used to eat it for breakfast with milk, or even make soup out of it.

Not a whole lot different from puffed corn cereal, I suppose...
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    Molly McButter. Probably horrible sodium and other weird chemicals, but tastes great and cuts your craving for butter.

This is what i use and love it!
  • kbendert
    kbendert Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to bump this to save these ideas for later!