Am I destined to a life without chips? :(

Options

Replies

• jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    popcorn.
    I buy kernels and brown paper bags and make it in the microwave as if they were pre-pakaged bags
    2 cups with my topping of choice are 80 cals

not to mention its super cheap
  • kookoomookee
    Options
    Have Lay's Light Potato Chips with Olean. It's 75 calories per serving and the serving is about 20 chips. They are great!
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    lays has these new LIGHT CHIPS about 75 cals a serving!

I totally love these! You can't even tell they aren't the real thing! A serving size is 1 ounce or 15 chips. Plus they are soy free and gluten free! They really help me satisfy my chip craving because I don't even feel like I've given them up! YUM!!!

These are the only chips I eat. As a matter of fact, I'm sitting here, watching Ghosthunters, and eating chips with my wine. It's our Winesday! But I digress! Love me some Ruffles light chips, 80 calories for 1 serving, which is 17 chips, no fat! You never have to give up anything, just learn to eat all foods in moderation!!
  • tkelly82
    tkelly82 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just made homemade kale chips tonight for the first time ever. DELICIOUS! And I hate pretty much anything green. I sprinkled a little bit of parmesan cheese on mine for the last 5 mins or so of baking and they were awesome. Crispy, salty yummy. Definately could give up chips with these bad boys.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but I use Special K Cracker Chips. They taste good and have that crunch you need with a sammie. I like the sea salt flavor best, but they also come in southwestern ranch, cheddar, and um.. umm.... I forget.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    While some of the substitutes may work for you, I find that I end up eating more calories trying to satisfy with food I don't really want than I do eating a smaller portion of what I do want. I buy the Lay's snack sized variety pack ranging from 140 to 160 calories per bag and work them into my calorie plan. Cheetos (160 cal) are my favorite, and while I've tried the baked version (120 cal), for me, the regular version is well worth the extra 40 calories.

Agree. A serving of baked chips may have 120-130 calories where a serving of the regular is only 150-160. For the few calories, I just stick to the real things and work it in to the daily goal. Baked/low fat foods tend to cause many people to over eat them because they think they are healthy. It all comes back to portion size, 1oz is not a lot of chips.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Pretzels and popcorn are good alternatives.

I tried those new Special K Cracker Crisps and they're pretty darn good. I have only tried Sour Cream & Onion. They're 127-130 crisps for like 110 calories. Not bad at all.
  • Kelsbellz
    Kelsbellz Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Baked Lays = Yummy. :)
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i absolutely love chips...cutting them out was just not an option...i have learned to love baked chips...i like baked lays or baked herrs chips...i find baked herrs to be a little too salty except the sourcream and onion ones...they are good...but i love baked lays bbq or sourcream and cheddar. I also love baked tostios with salsa...utz has a good one....i also love special k cracker chips..you get 27 for 110 calories...prob. the most for the little calories :) last mini rice crackers are good or of course popcorn :) Im not a big pretzel person and i feel you just dont get enough for the amount of calories. Hope this helps.

also it helps to portion out in small bags when you first buy the bag...it helps with portion control....i always do this...plus it easy to grab and go for lunches :)
  • pattybattin
    Options
    I love chips too. I miss chips so much. I have substituted with rice cakes. They come in many flavors that make them tasty and they have the crunch too. My favorites are spicy chili and ranch flavor (I was afraid but they are good.) A co-worker told me cinnaman apple were yummy too. I tried them and I liked them. And there is chocolate that are good too. Good luck and welcome to myfitnesspal.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    soybeans are horrible, they contain phytoestrogens, which are bad for men and women.
    Do you have a source for this? You are the first person I have EVER met that said soybeans are bad.

do you have a google?

I literally laughed out loud " do you have a google"
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

irrelevant to fitness. go to myastronomypal.com

It's perfectly relevant. The position of the planets is essential to timing your nutrient intake so the body can efficiently absorb them, I saw it on an episode of Oprah when they had this medical astrologist on the show

TRUE FACTS

You are awesome, FYI.

Benefits and risks of phytoestrogens are complicated and there's no point in scaring people away from eating soy nuts with their sandwich. If anyone is interested in a good review of phytoestrogens and health effects, this is a good starting place:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/?tool=pubmed
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options

do you have a google?

Did your google not tell you that it would take a huge amount of soy in order to upset hormone balance?

funny, you should tell that to all the womeon who developed breast cancer from drinking soy milk.

also, whats a "huge amount" of soy?

also, do you know the whole "isoflavones are heart healthy" has never been scientifically correlated?

Everything causes cancer nowadays. Don't you know that?

This ^^^^^^^^
    Your going to find tons of studies on soy being good and bad for you. Everything is toxic and causes cancer, if you eat you die, if you breath you die, if you drink you die. LOL *kitten* it, I like soy better so that is what i'm going with.
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I also got a pump spray thing and put vinegar on my popcorn - with salt it is DELISH!
    [/quote]

GREAT IDEA!! i so need to do this
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    SPECIAL K CRACKER CHIPS -- GOOD!! for 30 chips only 110cals
  • Caiii
    Caiii Posts: 27
    Options
    There are these wonderful, wonderful things I found at Central Market (don't know if you have it there, but maybe it'd be at Whole Foods, Sprouts, HEB, etc.) called Smart Fries. They come in a bunch of good flavors, and are 110 calories for a fairly large portion. 3 portions in a bag, and the bag is hugeeee.
    So.
    Dang.
    Tasty.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Carrot chips are yummy with ranch dressing!
  • alytom
    alytom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok my solution was kay's protein chips ... low cal low carb high protein

Hope this helps
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    Portion size is hard for me too with chips but I found at subway the single bags of lays light they are only 75 cals for a bag. I haven't found the singles in the store just the large bag but still 75 cals a serving and taste like reg lays chips. They are absolutely amazing!!!!
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    If you don't learn portion control, replacing them with something else won't do you any good.

This.

I make room for the foods I love including chips. I make sure I have the cals for them and make sure I'm eating healthy around my splurges. I typically buy the individual bags instead of large though just because it's way to easy to do mindless eating with foods like that lol.

If you cut them completely out, you could set yourself up for failure in the future. Learn how to fit them in :)