Am I destined to a life without chips? :(

Options

Replies

• trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    Special K Cracker Chips are good. I like the southwest Ranch style.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I eat chips from time to time. I just check what is one serving and count them out, then put the rest away. Easy to do if you pack a lunch. Crackers or pretzels work but really aren't much lower calorie-wise. I know you said not carrots, but sometimes you have to train yourself to do something different. Carrots, celery, bell peppers (the red and yellow are the BEST), or anything else with a good crunch can often satisfy your cravings once you teach yourself to enjoy them.

ETA: I have to decide from day to day which treat I have. Right now I am debating between Fritos with salsa or Ice cream to finish up my calories today. But my point is that I don't cut anything out entirely, I just make choices and keep it within my calories.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat thins or triscits help with the need for crunch.

But if you really miss 'em, eat the chips. Count your chips. Make sure you only have one serving. Record your calories.
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, chips are out. You're lucky to have the bread to put together a sandwich. The chips are something you could re-introduce once the weight is down to where you want to be ... then you can think about how to eat them in a reasonable amount. I suppose if you are absolutely DYING for chips (not daily, just sometimes) then you could work 'a few bites' into your calorie count that day.
    Just my thoughts. Don't want to be harsh but I don't think losing weight and chips go together :) Sorry!
    All the best :)
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Kale Chips are good, also really enjoying special k cracker chips a lot!
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    POP CHIPS! Costco has them in 100 calorie bags. You can get a box of them for around $7.99. They are BBQ and Sour Cream and Onion. Grocery stores carry the big bags in even more flavors. So good. I eat a bag a day and it takes away the chip craving.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Turkey sandwiches are my favorite, but I LOVE chips. I don;t know how to eat a sandwich without chips.
    Do you guys have any suggestions for a replacement? (other than lets say, carrots. A carrot is NOTHING like a chip!) -_-

One of the things that I've made a habit of with my dieting is to not take anything off of the table completely. With regard to chips, check out the LIGHT line from Lays. There's a Lay's Light Potato Chip that has 75 calories in a serving or a Lay's Light Ruffles that has 80 calories per serving. I use these as my fall back whenever I need to add a little crunch to my day as a snack or, as you suggest, to round out a meal.
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Chicharrones (Pork rinds)!
  • Lotusgrl
    Lotusgrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Dried Kale - YUMMMMMM
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    It's true! They've been saying it for years but it's like the public is just starting to grasp it.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/
  • jessicaalonso
    Options
    :happy: Try slicing sweet potato thin, maybe brush ( I mean just a dab) a little olive oil or coconut oil on them then add a little koser salt if its allowed in your diet. Let them cool and see how they are. I haven't done this yet but I've made sweet potato fries it's basically the same thing.:happy:
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'll probably have people look down on me for saying this... BUT save up for them. Cut back one day to have a guilty snack a different day. You can't drive yourself crazy when you first start. These are big changes. Stay within your count and if you really want a couple of chips one day, work out a little longer, and buy a tiny bag at the grocery store. Once a week to start, then every other, and eventually you'll only be doing it once in a great moon.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, chips are out. You're lucky to have the bread to put together a sandwich. The chips are something you could re-introduce once the weight is down to where you want to be ... then you can think about how to eat them in a reasonable amount. I suppose if you are absolutely DYING for chips (not daily, just sometimes) then you could work 'a few bites' into your calorie count that day.
    Just my thoughts. Don't want to be harsh but I don't think losing weight and chips go together :) Sorry!
    All the best :)

It's almost scary how mistaken you are.
  • carisparis
    Options
    It's true! They've been saying it for years but it's like the public is just starting to grasp it.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/

Good article. From all I've read over the years, you should definitely limit it. If you must have it, stick to the fermented forms. In Asian cultures it's not over-consumed as it is in America. I thought this was mainstream knowledge...I'm surprised so many people on here see this as a conspiracy against soy.
  • Sharonswarna
    Sharonswarna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Special k cracker chips... I even use them if I want nachos, chili, salads... They are great! Saves me!!
  • rgill14
    rgill14 Posts: 2
    Options
    i am the same way. so far what has worked for me is getting fried onions and putting them directly into the sandwich so i get that crunch in every bite. They probably aren't the best option, but its only about 40 calories for 2 tablespoons. Or you can put a few chips in the sandwich too!
  • pertinacity
    pertinacity Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/08/healthy-crunchy-three-guilt-free-snacks.html

Great recipes for healthy potato chips and kale chips
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up anything. I eat a handful of chips every once in a while and i still lose weight. Just don't eat the whole bag.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    OK So I am new to this and have done pretty well for my first day. I eat fairly healthy overall, but portion control was an issue.
    I am putting together a small grocery list to last me the rest of the week. I work in an office and pack my lunch.
    Turkey sandwiches are my favorite, but I LOVE chips. I don;t know how to eat a sandwich without chips.
    Do you guys have any suggestions for a replacement? (other than lets say, carrots. A carrot is NOTHING like a chip!) -_-
    List of snacks to buy today: yogurt, almonds, tuna, veggies, also whats a good snack with protein??? I am not a big meat eater and always struggled to eat enough protein.

Sorry for all the questions! and thank you in advance for all the help!

The almonds, yogurt and tuna are all very good for protein. Also I dont know if you have access to a fridge or freezer at work but the steamable bags of edamame are a favorite snack of mine. Filling and satisfying with lots of fiber, protein and healthy fats.