2nd Best Guitar Player of All Time

Replies

• iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,266 Member
    Beck, Page, SRV, Steve Vai, Stanley Gordon, Al Dimeola, all are better EVH. Vai probably the best.
    Bass players: Les Claypool, Getty Lee, Flea, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton

And don't bother arguing my list, I respect the opinion of REAL musicians, ones who've made a living doing this and even played with a few of rhe greats listed above.

um ok, so I am a real musician and there is not way any of those guys are better than EVH, ESPECIALLY Vai, Gordon and Dimeola...all good players, but nto better. Good bye

On your bass list, you forgot Billy Sheehan, but the list is up there...also it is Geddy Lee...I respect guy who know how to spell the names of their heroes.

My phone must have corrected it. And I agree with Billy from Maiden love that guy. As far as your arguement about being a real musician not one guitarist I know would put Eddie at #1, top 10 sure, not #1.

I know someone who played with EVH and Zakk Wylde, I value his opinion a bit more.

Well Billy Sheehen was never in Maiden, that would be Steve Harris, another very good player and excellent writer. YOu must know some jealous players, because EVH is the king and you ask any player from 78 utnil now and they will almost always tell u that.g,

Listen to their new album, I promise you will be blown away.

I was thinking of Harris, Billy was in that David Lee Roth band right?

I'll save my money thanks. =)

WHo pays for music anymore? Oh u must use Apple products.
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    No. I just enjoy buying cds and listening that way. I even bought a record last week!
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Saw Van Halen a few months ago and Eddie is still amazing.

Here's a few others I'll throw out that haven't been mentioned

Johnny Hiland - if you haven't heard him, go listen and find various genres cause he can play anything
    Brent Mason - played on more #1 hits than anyone in history I believe, insanely good
    Steve Stevens - great player and check out his solo stuff as well as with Billy Idol
    John Jorgenson - Elton John, Hellecasters plus his solo gypsy jazz stuff
    Joe Satriani - unbelievable player
    Allan Holdsworth
    Chet Atkins
    Buddy Guy
    Carlos Santana
    Frank Zappa
    Adrian Belew

As for SRV being overrated, I saw him live 6 times and while they were all good the first time was unbelievable, I know he battled some demons that likely affected his playing
  • deineira
    deineira Posts: 75 Member
    Thanks for mentioning Steve Stevens. He is awesome!
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Here's a few more. . . .Alex Skolnick, Steve Howe, Joe Walsh, John Petrucci, Gary Moore, Billy Gibbons, Chuck Berry, B.B. King.

Now as far as bass players, hell that's easy. There's Geddy Lee, Geddy Lee, and then. . . .Geddy Lee. Throw in Stanley Clark, Jaco Pastorius, Billy Sheehan.

And drummers. . . . another easy one. Neil Peart, Neil Peart, and Neil Peart. Anyone else is a few levels below.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    People like ME pay for music nowadays, sir. It's rather the right thing to do, you know.
  • w_i_n_d_y
    Here's a few more. . . .Alex Skolnick, Steve Howe, Joe Walsh, John Petrucci, Gary Moore, Billy Gibbons, Chuck Berry, B.B. King.

Now as far as bass players, hell that's easy. There's Geddy Lee, Geddy Lee, and then. . . .Geddy Lee. Throw in Stanley Clark, Jaco Pastorius, Billy Sheehan.

And drummers. . . . another easy one. Neil Peart, Neil Peart, and Neil Peart. Anyone else is a few levels below.

Oh don't start me on drummers...Buddy Rich, Peart, Chester Thompson, Bill Bruford, Carl Palmer,Eric Carr, Tommy Aldridge, Appice brothers, and Dave Grohl because I used to want to marry him.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Best Guitarists of all time

Jason Becker (has lou gerigs now but amazing!!! legendary!!)

Best blues (past) Gary Moore
  • w_i_n_d_y
    People like ME pay for music nowadays, sir. It's rather the right thing to do, you know.

^ 2nd best guitart ever....and not to Eddie!
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,266 Member

whatever. Like no one here didnt used to dub tapes back in the day or burn cds. Its the same chit, just different tech.
  • w_i_n_d_y

whatever. Like no one here didnt used to dub tapes back in the day or burn cds. Its the same chit, just different tech.

Your thoughts on drummers?
  • MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Van Halen is top 10. Not the best. And Jimi was an innovator, but never really reached full potential, and I don't believe he should be in the top 5, barely in the top 10.
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188

Oh, maybe us 'buyers' just like our favourite muso's to keep playing and to have the incentive to tour more often. I like my music live and no sales would equal no tours.
  • MrEmoticon

Oh, maybe us 'buyers' just like our favourite muso's to keep playing and to have the incentive to tour more often. I like my music live and no sales would equal no tours.

Bands get most of the revenue from tours. So that's not entirely accurate. Exactly why bands are starting to release albums online for free, and still be profitable.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member

Hands down, Neil Peart - Rush!
  • MrEmoticon

I like a litlte newer age with Danny Carey or Joey Jordeson!
  • foxbat2828
    I'd say that Hendrix ranks as #1.

Plenty around for #2, I'll throw Eric Johnson in to the mix.
  • w_i_n_d_y

Oh don't start me on drummers...Buddy Rich, Peart, Chester Thompson, Bill Bruford, Carl Palmer,Eric Carr, Tommy Aldridge, Appice brothers, and Dave Grohl because I used to want to marry him.

^
  • foxbat2828

Now as far as bass players, hell that's easy. There's Geddy Lee, Geddy Lee, and then. . . .Geddy Lee.

Yes, yes, and yes!
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member

Love Neil, but the best was Buddy Rich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq684tmvd1A