Who is reading "Fifty Shades of Grey" series?

Options
123457»

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Just starting book #2. Love the books. So does my boyfriend. LOL
  • lilvixen84
    lilvixen84 Posts: 100
    Options
    i'm just about to start chapter 12 of book 1 and i'm hooked on it. i've got all three of them on my kindle :wink:
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i loved the 1st book!! the 2nd was ok!! and the 3rd im actually having trouble finishing it!! i skip threw the sex parts i find them cheesy and im getting bored of them i will eventually finish the last book..
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I tried reading it. The grammar errors made my eye twitch. The "cute" emails made me borderline homicidal. If you removed her descriptions of how amazingly good looking he is, you would have a short pamphlet, not a book.
    I got as far as the graduation...and could stand it no more.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I was talking to someone about drink orders the other day and was reminded of this thread, because aside from all the other repetitive stuff in the books, the one that cracked me up the most were the references to how she liked her tea (with the tea bag on the side, essentially). It was impressive that Christian remembered, it stunned her that Taylor knew, etc etc, when her tea order boiled down to "as weak as humanly possible" - dunk the tea bag in and remove instantly, was pretty much it. LOL
  • VaporsWorld
    VaporsWorld Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    After reading many of the reviews here, I now know I will not be in any rush to read, if I ever do, this series. Sounds to me that if you are really into the BDSM lifestyle this is not for you. But who knows, maybe people who didn't know they had that part in them will now be open to explore their D/S sides.
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    So, putting my neck on the line here, but I pretty much refuse to read this series because of its origins. I live in a very bookish world - I work in a library, I'm a bit of a writer myself, I read constantly.

The reason this series is always compared to Twilight is because it was originally Twilight fanfiction. Replace the name Christian with Edward. Replace the name Ana with Bella. You have the author's original version of the story. It was available for quite a while on fanfiction.net under the title "Master of the Universe". The author, of course, removed it when she magically just switched all the names around and decided to call it her own work of fiction, never mind giving credit to Stephenie Meyer for, ya know, all the personality and physical traits of her "original" characters.

It's created a huge stir in the book world, and a lot of people are pissed off. It opens the doors for almost any poorly written fanfiction to become published under a different title with different names, all without crediting the original author who inspired them to write it in the first place.

(And, really, the bit I did glance through - the writing is quite mediocre. You can find much better online. ;D)

BTW, there's a really, really fascinating article about the series here: http://therumpus.net/2012/05/the-trouble-with-prince-charming-or-he-who-trespassed-against-us/
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The writing is appalling, but I don't think anyone disagrees on that point. I've read the trilogy, I enjoyed them for what they were.
    *shrugs*
    The ending was a bit naff IMO - great for a movie ending though I guess.