Ladies? Ever cut your hair short and regretted it?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    My mother cut my hair ridiculously short my entire childhood. And not in a cute pixie cut way - I looked like a boy. At age 12, I was in a public restroom at a state park and a little girl yelled really loudly, "MOMMY??? Do they let BOYS in here???" I was completely mortified, since of course everyone turned and stared at me. I refused to let her cut it after that.

I have had my hair long ever since, and my husband likes it better long, too.
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    I have a pixie cut, it is so easy to manage that I love it. Long hair doesn't suit me when I wear it down, so I didn't see the point in having it long just to constantly wear it up, but sometimes I do miss it.
    I think Michelle Williams' hair is beautiful :)
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    Oh, and I definitely have to DISAGREE with the "it's easier to take care of" line that I hear constantly. Those of you with short hair - how often do you have to get it cut? I can trim the ends myself every few months, free of charge. When I'm in a hurry, I can do a ponytail or a bun, and since my hair is curly, when I used to have it shorter I had to style it every day or it looked like I'd stuck my finger in a light socket. Now, the length keeps the curl from going bonkers, and I don't wake up with "bed head." As someone who had short hair for years (not by choice), I can honestly say it was NOT easier to take care of.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I asked for a pixie cut last summer and I got a boy cut instead :( It is now to my shoulders and I am not having it touched with scissors EVER again!!!

Me~July 2011
    2nsvrqq.jpg

Me~July 2011
    28kj2p2.jpg

Me~April 2012
    rr3v2p.jpg
  • LuminousLilium
    Options
    I've cut my hair plenty of times. I don't regret ever doing it, though at times I do miss my long hair.
    If you want to do it, then do it, but first you need to ask yourself if it is what you really want.
    If you feel like taking the risk then do it, no big deal.
    Hair grows on average 6 inches a year for most people, so this tells you around how long you'd have to wait if you don't like the outcome.

Oh and a little tip, make sure someone you trust is doing it, because sometimes hair dressers aren't as qualified as they should be and can't follow the simplest instructions. I've gotten to the point of cutting my hair myself rather than paying someone to mess up my hair, that way if I mess it up I can accept that it is my fault and what not.
    Hope this helps a bit. :)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Just the opposite. I used to have hair that went to my *kitten*, but then I chopped it all off and I never looked back.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I chopped my hair off (again) 2 days ago. LOVE the freedom of not having to deal with it.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I definitely have to DISAGREE with the "it's easier to take care of" line that I hear constantly. Those of you with short hair - how often do you have to get it cut? I can trim the ends myself every few months, free of charge. When I'm in a hurry, I can do a ponytail or a bun, and since my hair is curly, when I used to have it shorter I had to style it every day or it looked like I'd stuck my finger in a light socket. Now, the length keeps the curl from going bonkers, and I don't wake up with "bed head." As someone who had short hair for years (not by choice), I can honestly say it was NOT easier to take care of.

For me, it is. I also have ridiculously thick hair, though (no, really, every hairstylist I've ever gone to has tried to thin it out, but to no avail). I also don't care if it's perpetually the same length, so I only go get it cut every couple of months, which also gives me the option of trying something new if I'm sick of my style. At this length, too, I can wash, brush, and go and not worry about it taking all day to dry.
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My feeling is that if you really feel like a change and want to go short, then go for it!! As many have said, it is only hair and it will grow back. I am, and will remain, a long hair gal. I've had a few short cuts, some on purpose and some unintentional (the hairdressers took creative license, yikes) and just don't like them on myself. There were two I did like, a long shag back in the '70's and a kind of shag back in the '90's (the stylist gave it to me while cutting off a bad perm). Most short styles are harder for me to care for, I think it is because I have fine, thin hair but with some wave. I take longer styling short hair than long hair. I also am chemically sensitive now so I can use very few hair products. I try to keep my hair anywhere from an inch or two below my shoulder to half-way down my back. I usually have bangs and light layers on the sides so I can blow dry and curl it if worn down or have bangs and face-framing fringe if I put my hair up (the styling actually takes less time than short hair for me). I really envy people who pull off short styles but longer hair is not only easier for me but is, well, just me.