People who complain they're fat but do nothing about it

Options
GeneveSparkles
GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
In the gym locker room the other day this girl was complaining that the scale “loves to hate” her (she’s only lost 4 lbs since January). Being the helpful person I am I asked her if she was watching her calories, she said no. I told her I’ve lost almost 15 lbs in since Jan. by exercising AND counting cals and that it was hard but worth it. She basically told me she has no desire to change her eating habits and that she hates vegetables. I told her there were so many veggies out there and so many ways to cook them, but she wasn’t having any of it. I didn’t push the issue any further because if people don’t want to change they won’t. But why complain about something you have the ability to change but aren’t doing anything about it. It’s very frustrating to me. No matter what weight I’ve been at I’ve never complained about my weight because I’ve always known it’s my responsibility to do something about it. How does everyone else feel about people we complain about their weight but take no initiative or responsibility for it?

Replies

• fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i dont know why it would frustrate you ... she complained ... you offered your two cents ... she wasnt interested ... move on ... you cant force anything on anyone
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I ignore them.

Simple really...
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've met a lot of people like that. It's their life, and there's not anything anyone else can do to change anything. Only THEY can.

Live by example and move on.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I would say in a generic situation like the one you mentioned, she was just looking for sympathy. The best you can do in that situation is basically what you did, give her an idea of how to get where she wants to be, and if she doesn't want to hear it, maybe a sympathetic nod, and "you'll get there when you're ready for it."

In that situation, I would probably get the, "you're just lucky" comment. And I will just smile and nod because that is what she's looking for even though I know it's not luck that gives me my shape, but daily choices to be active and physical. Some people are not ready to hear that from where they are, though. It's not my job or yours to change their whole mindset.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    But I can't work on my weight, it's my genetics! Working for something is hard so I'm not going to try
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    That's the classic situation - as a guy I've experienced it a million times with girls. What's one of the major rules - when a girl complains she doesn't want you to tell her how to fix her problem, she just wants to ***** about it.

Sounds like you offered enough advice to be helpful but not push it. After that it's on her. Some people like to be unhappy about something.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I have friends like this. They all need to lose significant amounts of weight, but will not go to the gym without a partner (which they rarely have) and will not eat vegetables. They all ask me for advice, but it's hard to give advice that someone won't follow.

Edit: I shouldn't say 'need.' They WANT to lose the weight
  • LolaVersion2
    LolaVersion2 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she is a classic crash dieter who wants quick results without any effort. pfft.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed with people like that. They don't understand that no matter what you do at the gym, it's only about 20% towards your goal. You have to eat right too, that's the main way to your goal. Diet and exercise have to work together!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Pisses me off!

Perfect example is my mother... EVERY day she complains she isn't losing weight. Is she calorie counting? No. Is she exercising? No. What does she eat every day? Red rooster and maccas. I have explained to her about good, healthy nutrition but still even though I've gone from a size 20 to a 12 in a year apparently how I'm doing it is wrong and cheese and eggs are bad for you and are the sole reason you gain weight. :grumble: Right,
  • jesta99
    jesta99 Posts: 1
    Options
    When the time comes - that lady in the locker room will either do what she needs to do (and not be vocal about it) or just continue to be vocal and achieve nothing, its up to her, its very kind of you to offer her advice :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My family always complained to me how I had a 'naturally high metabolism'. I exercised every day, I was a dancer, I ate better. They drank several glasses of pop a day, had large meals smothered in bad things that would impress truckers , and always ended up having snacks that equaled meals at night, with no exercise.
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I complained about it for the longest time and just couldn't get up the motivation to do anything about it. It may take her awhile - sometimes it has to "click" first.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Generally I'd say they were just just complaining, but like you said, she was in a gym. So she's not really "doing nothing about it". She's trying but not having much success. Hopefully she figures out something that works for her.

Now when someone is on the couch with Dorito dust covering their face.. THEY'RE not doing anything about it!
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    Um...that used to be me. I used to always complain about my weight and always say "I've tried everything and nothing works" (while eating crazily and barely exercising). Eventually I had to do it the right way. If it's important to her, she'll get it together.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you offered enough advice to be helpful but not push it. After that it's on her. Some people like to be unhappy about something.

It seems like every time I see you post something, I disagree. But that's fine, diversity is a good thing. I actually like having people around I disagree with because it starts an internal dialogue for me on why I disagree with what they are saying. From a philosophical standpoint, people I disagree with are essential to my life.

Although, I feel like I don't agree with you on much, here on the boards, haha, I'll back this up. There are people in this world who are just not happy unless they have something complain about. "I'm only happy when it rains..."
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    She isn't doing nothing about it. She is at the gym. That is at least a start. Everyone has to figure out their own way to get to their goal. Something has to click for her - not you - to get her to do the rest of the things she needs to do to lose the weight she wants to lose. At least she is up and moving at the gym. That is a heck of a lot better than a lot of people that complain about their weight.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I was mooing at myself in the mirror! I knew it was time to do something, ANYTHING! They obviously really don't give too many craps about it if they're not even willing to try. Sympathy seeking and pure laziness. My favorite excuse is "I have bad X joints" B Plz,. Sure you maybe can't do some certain exercises, but you can get up off that couch and walk, or at the very least, eat healthy foods in moderate portions. There's actually less stress and pain on X joint as you get towards a healthy weight for your height. Ask the hundreds of others on this site with health issues and bum joints that are doing great here!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I used to be just like that. I was lazy and I didn't want to change but I wanted the weight to disappear. Eventually, I realized that was a really silly thing to expect, then I joined MFP. People need to realize that weight-loss is not magic. Unfortunately, everyone needs to realize that on their own.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    A person needs to want to lose weight, and be willing to do anything to lose the weight. If not, they will fail.
    Everyone looks for a quick fix these days.

That being said, in a few months when she has gained the 4lbs back, and another 10lbs on top of that you can flaunt your weight loss in her face. That will be the 'told you so' satisfaction that you need! :)