Got told that I can't exercise in my apartment anymore...

Options

Replies

• ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I have a similar situation. The neighbors actually complain if I shower after 10 pm and actually asked me not to flush the toilet between the hours of 10 pm and 8 am. My answer was a plain and simple, no. You are well within your rights of working out, and I assume you are not stomping too loudly.

Your health, your home, you decide. Talk to the landlord to advise him of this unreasonable request and just keep up being the good neighbor that you are
    Haha that's crazy. My last apartment complex was considering "student living" so it was a piece of crap. You heard every single noise from all of the apartments around you. Toilet flushing was one of them, but I could never have imagined going upstairs and telling the girls above me not to flush LOL.

And I will definitely let you all know what happens with maintenance. I have certain areas in my hallway and bathroom that are super squeaky so I've been making sure to walk laps over them before they get fixed ;)

oh yeah, you sound like a PEACH to live under
    I realize that there's not much you can do about walking-around noise, but there's also a limit to how much noise the person living under you should have to put up with - you going out of your way to make more noise is just rude. She pays rent, same as you, & you're here complaining that she's making it so you can't enjoy your living space, yet you don't seem to understand that your actions are making it so she can't enjoy her living space (a living space that she is PAYING FOR)
    Yes, she seems unreasonable, especially about the dog jumping off the couch & you walking around, but why are you going out of your way to harass her?
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    **** 'em. You pay rent, you can do whatever you want in your own apartment. Having to put up with other peoples noise is part of living in an apartment and your neighbors should've thought of that before they decided to move into an apartment. If they don't like it they can GTFO. I mean it's not like you were being unreasonable, it was 3pm.
    this is my thoughts exectly!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation. The neighbors actually complain if I shower after 10 pm and actually asked me not to flush the toilet between the hours of 10 pm and 8 am. My answer was a plain and simple, no. You are well within your rights of working out, and I assume you are not stomping too loudly.

Your health, your home, you decide. Talk to the landlord to advise him of this unreasonable request and just keep up being the good neighbor that you are
    Haha that's crazy. My last apartment complex was considering "student living" so it was a piece of crap. You heard every single noise from all of the apartments around you. Toilet flushing was one of them, but I could never have imagined going upstairs and telling the girls above me not to flush LOL.

And I will definitely let you all know what happens with maintenance. I have certain areas in my hallway and bathroom that are super squeaky so I've been making sure to walk laps over them before they get fixed ;)

I realize that there's not much you can do about walking-around noise, but there's also a limit to how much noise the person living under you should have to put up with - you going out of your way to make more noise is just rude. She pays rent, same as you, & you're here complaining that she's making it so you can't enjoy your living space, yet you don't seem to understand that your actions are making it so she can't enjoy her living space (a living space that she is PAYING FOR)
    Yes, she seems unreasonable, especially about the dog jumping off the couch & you walking around, but why are you going out of your way to harass her?

how is the OP harassing the imbecile who lives downstairs from her? why, because she wants to make life for them a little unpleasant? Oh boo effing hoo that witch has gone out of her way to try and control what she does in her own living quarters during the daylight hours. And why is that? because she's a Bully, and you are too.

If you don't have anything productive to say why bother commenting at all? You made it your business to criticize and attempt to insult the OP and I think that's just pathetic.
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    I would continue doing your workouts. You are paying rent and have the right to do your workouts during day hours. Your workouts are relatively short. You might want to talk to your landlord and alert her of the situation, but they cannot stop you from working out at a reasonable time and duration within your own apartment. A rubber floormat might be a good idea also.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Her neighbour IS being bloody unreasonable, read the thread from the beginning!

The OP also pays rent you know and is not doing her workout at a stupid hour - unless you class 3pm as an unreasonable time that is!!

Actually, if there is anybody harassing anybody here it is the neighbour doing the harassing because the poor OP does not feel that she is even able to walk around without virtually levitating above the floor! That actually makes the OP unable to enjoy HER living space.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options

how is the OP harassing the imbecile who lives downstairs from her? why, because she wants to make life for them a little unpleasant? Oh boo effing hoo that witch has gone out of her way to try and control what she does in her own living quarters during the daylight hours. And why is that? because she's a Bully, and you are too.

If you don't have anything productive to say why bother commenting at all? You made it your business to criticize and attempt to insult the OP and I think that's just pathetic.

Gee, she's trying to control by asking her to stop? What a horrible witch, we should burn her at the stake for her insolence!
    seriously, get real. The neighbor had an issue with noise & asked the OP to stop. I didn't see the OP comment about the neighbor complaining day after day, or calling the cops, or ANYTHING other than asking a question.

HAHAHA, I'm a bully. Give me a break. More like the OP is - she's now going out of her way to make the neighbors' life miserable - last time I checked, that's what BULLIES do.
    Personally, I have lived under people for over 10 years now. I have complained a total of 5 times in those 10 years - 2 times about a 4 year old who was running from one end of the apartment to the other (& all I asked each time was if they could keep her out of the room directly above my bedroom, as my fiance & I both worked nights & couldn't sleep because of it). Thanks to that, I now have noise sensitivity issues, but instead of bullying, err, I mean complaining to my neighbors, I put on headphones & tune it out (except for 2 times where my neighbors were playing music before 8am loud enough that I could hear it EVERYWHERE in my apartment, & I went & nicely asked if they could turn it down a little bit, as earplugs wouldn't block it out at the volume they were listening to it at, & 1 time where someone was putting their dog out on the balcony for hours at a time, probably while they were at work, & they eventually had it taken away for neglect)

Try again Y/N?
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options

The OP also pays rent you know and is not doing her workout at a stupid hour - unless you class 3pm as an unreasonable time that is!!

Actually, if there is anybody harassing anybody here it is the neighbour doing the harassing because the poor OP does not feel that she is even able to walk around without virtually levitating above the floor! That actually makes the OP unable to enjoy HER living space.

I have read the post from the beginning. Would you kindly point out where the post that the OP says the neighbor harassed her multiple times, or complained to the manager about her is, as I have obviously missed that comment.
    Or maybe it doesn't exist because the neighbor ASKED HER to stop once. Last time I checked, someone asking something once isn't harassment.
  • Di3012
    Options

I have read the post from the beginning. Would you kindly point out where the post that the OP says the neighbor harassed her multiple times, or complained to the manager about her is, as I have obviously missed that comment.
    Or maybe it doesn't exist because the neighbor ASKED HER to stop once. Last time I checked, someone asking something once isn't harassment.

Are you the actual neighbour in question here by any chance?
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options

HAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUNNY

No, I'm a person who has noise sensitivity issues thanks to living under a hyperactive child for 4+ years, & I'm disgusted by the attitude that people who live in apartments are expected to deal with however much noise their neighbors feel like making.
    Yes, the woman was unreasonable, but that's no reason that the OP should be going out of her way to make her life more miserable.

Also, nice avoidance of the question.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask them if there is a better time that would work for them. I know it's your schedule too but maybe there is a way to both get what you want.

She basically told me that she is always hearing noise from up here so she doesn't want to hear it anymore. I tried to call BS on this because I only workout for 40 minutes a day, but she just wasn't going to listen. She even complained about me walking around normally. These apartments are old! Our floorboards squeak.
    Talk to your landlord you are allowed reasonable enjoyment of your living quarters and it was 3pm, not 3am.

your neighbours are in the wrong, don't stop!

I actually was thinking about going down to talk to the office, but I wasn't sure if it would helpful or not. I seriously am the most boring college student ever. I'm gone 90% of the day, I have /never/ thrown a party, I'm very light-footed and try to be quiet when I walk... all I do is workout for those 40 minutes!

I've lived in many apartments before and it sounds to me like they aren't prepared for the noise that comes with living below someone. Honestly, it was 3pm and it is only for 40 mins. They will be fine. I could understand if it were late at night or even really early in the morning. But, it's the middle of the day. They're going to have a very BIG wake up as to what apartment living is like. They better get over it or their time there will suck.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Wow, the people who just moved in told you that? I'd tell them to kiss my a**!! That's crazy!
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options

lmao
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would ask them what is a better time. I mean it can't be that loud?! I would still work out but ask them when is a better time to do so.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    In the words of someone, at some point;

"*kitten* 'em." 40 minutes a day isn't unbearable or unreasonable. And 3 in the afternoon? Come on, really?
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    There must be 'quiet hours' in your lease. I would talk to your landlord and see what can be worked out. I know you don't want to be at war with your neighbor but she has no right to tell you how you can enjoy your living space.

Our quiet hours are 8pm-8am, with security getting here at 5pm to start patrolling. I've never worked out later than today, which I started at 2:45pm and would have finished around 3:35ish :/

My apartment complex has a "gym", which is effectively two treadmills (one broken), two bikes (one also broken), and a few TVs.

Can you bring your workout dvd to the gym?? and use one of their tvs? maybe you can find people to join in
  • Di3012
    Options

HAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUNNY

No, I'm a person who has noise sensitivity issues thanks to living under a hyperactive child for 4+ years, & I'm disgusted by the attitude that people who live in apartments are expected to deal with however much noise their neighbors feel like making.
    Yes, the woman was unreasonable, but that's no reason that the OP should be going out of her way to make her life more miserable.

Well I am seriously wondering see, because you appear to be reading something totally different to the rest of us.

The OP is actually going out of her way to find a solution, the neighbour is lucky, because the OP is within her rights to exercise in her own apartment.

The way you are going on is as if the OP is jumping around at all hours of the day and night, when she has already stated that she is out much of the time and a 40 minute workout is the only time she makes any noise, she is even willing to change whatever time suits that neighbour to do that exercise - how much more bloody accommodating can she get???
  • Carolw12
    Carolw12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it a 3 pm in the afternoon then I don't see why that would disturb them. Talk to your rental office and let them know what's going on. Also check your lease or state law to see if there are noise ordinances in your area. Usually a person can only complain if its past 9 o'clock or so. You shouldn't be allowed to tell someone that they can't make any noise even during business hours for a short time. That's unreasonable.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options

HAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUNNY

Well I am seriously wondering see, because you appear to be reading something totally different to the rest of us.

The OP is actually going out of her way to find a solution, the neighbour is lucky, because the OP is within her rights to exercise in her own apartment.

The way you are going on is as if the OP is jumping around at all hours of the day and night, when she has already stated that she is out much of the time and a 40 minute workout is the only time she makes any noise, she is even willing to change whatever time suits that neighbour to do that exercise - how much more bloody accommodating can she get???

Don't blame me for your inability to read what the OP wrote. The comment I commented on was " I have certain areas in my hallway and bathroom that are super squeaky so I've been making sure to walk laps over them before they get fixed ;)"
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUNNY

Not sure if you're 100% correct on this one, many if not all apartments have a noise clause in the lease and it may in fact not be within her rights. It all depends where you rent and what they tolerate for noise level.
  • Di3012
    Options

Don't blame me for your inability to read what the OP wrote. The comment I commented on was " I have certain areas in my hallway and bathroom that are super squeaky so I've been making sure to walk laps over them before they get fixed ;)"

Wow what on earth is the matter with you, calm down before you bust a bloodvessel.

Yes I did see that, so what, it will only be until Wednesday when she gets the floorboards done, it is not a lifelong activity. YOu chose to focus on that sentence rather than take the whole thread in context.

I suggest you do 500 lines stating "I will take in the whole situation and not just the pieces that I can pick on" - do it now, whilst it is still fresh in your mind.
This discussion has been closed.