Potato Chips In the Oven... Magic. Absolute Magic.

Options

Replies

• fergie137
    fergie137 Posts: 33
    Options
    bump
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Oh, yum!! Do you have to use parchment paper?

I have made these successfully without parchement paper..........just spray oil on the tray itself and make sure you do just a single layer....and for the record.....these are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too good!!:bigsmile:
  • carlyholly
    Options
    can i 'microwave' them in the oven?? without oil? :/

Probably? I'm assuming it would just take longer, and you'd have to watch them to make sure they don't burn. I would still use parchment paper, though.
    I have to try this.. I can not brain today, so I assume the calories logged would just be the weight of the potato? :)

Yeah, that's all I did - the weight of the potato before microwaving.

I think I'm going to go make myself some right now. I think I'll try some ranch seasoning... yummmm.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashleighk90
    ashleighk90 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    yummm... definitely going to try. Thanks!
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    Bump!!
  • FloridaJenn
    FloridaJenn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hastenbeck
    Options
    bump
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    These are amazing.... I never thought I could make something so similar to a chip, yet 100x more healthier!

AMAZING, my whole family loves them now :)
  • MissLucyDee
    MissLucyDee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    sounds brill - gonna try this
  • GoalSixPack
    Options
    Bump. Going to try with a sweet potato
  • josol1971
    josol1971 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Mmm...sounds great! I love me some potato chips!
  • QueenOfShiba
    QueenOfShiba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lluulluu
    lluulluu Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Two things about this:

1. IT WORKS! Hallelujah! I saw some parchment paper in the grocery store today and picked it up to try this out. Holy mackerel, this works - 75 calories, 17 carbs,. 0 fat, 2 grams protein, 472 grams potassium (!!!) and 10 grams sodium is what I just ate for a very filling snack that I completely enjoyed. That, by the way, was only HALF of a medium red potato (nutrition info from USDA nutrition chart).

2. I remember before I started MFP, how I could wolf down an enormous amount of chips - Pringles or Lays were my favs - without so much as batting an eye. My lips would get sore from the salt before I stopped crunching long enough to realize I'd over-done it.

So now, I'm in the kitchen with an actual potato in my hand making potato chips and thinking how full I get eating a whole potato. Well, this is a snack, and I want to have a good supper tonight, so I decided I'd only make 1 potato and split it with my DH. And I was right - something about actually seeing that I was eating half a potato made me not want anything more!

We're so used to grabbing a bag of something, or a box of something, and reaching in and putting food in our mouths. It makes a lot more sense to prepare our own foods so we have the psychological benefit of seeing the actual amount we are going to consume.

But the OP is right - watch your time as you microwave your chips. Once they start to brown and crisp up. it goes very fast! And yes, they do get crispy with NO oil.

:heart:
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i will definitely try these.
    just need to buy a mandolin.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    i will definitely try these.
    just need to buy a mandolin.
    Oh! I forgot to add that I didn't have one of those brand of cutters - just a cheapo slicer that I got at a garage sale. It sliced the potato really thin, and did the trick. I'm sure the mandolin brand would do better, though I don't know what the V cut is for, but my little cutter did fine.

:smile:
  • mimi10453
    mimi10453 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump