Essential Kitchen Items to help you eat healthier...

Options
124»

Replies

• stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The Most important 1. digital scale
    2. a good sharp knife
    3. Blender
    4. Parchment paper for roasting things like sweet potatoes (easy clean up).
    5. a big cast iron skillet (to cook up a few days of chicken breasts, etc)
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already mentioned such great things! It's basically all been covered in the previous posts. :-)

While fresh veggies have a special place in my heart, frozen veggies have been such a time saver in my quest to eat healthy. The biggest time saver of all was when I decided to start buying onions in bulk at about 25-30 cents/pound. We would then dice them all at once in our onion chopper and then freeze it all in ziplock baggies for future use.

Buying oils and different flavored vinegars is a must for us. We buy olive oil in bulk.

LOTS and LOTS of dried herbs and spices on hand. We also grow what we can on our little balcony.

I buy chicken bouillon in bulk rather than using canned stock. So much cheaper and easier.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Completely agree Jessamine our pantry is well stocked with herbs, spices, vinegars, and olive oil! I keep meaning to try virgin coconut oil, but haven't yet.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    1. A pad of paper and pen to plan a week worth of meals at once. Posted, so I stick to the plan.
    2. A crockpot.
    3. measuring cups/spoons.
    4. Optionally, if I could get my own personal chef, that would be helpful too.

I set up a google template to help me plan my week!!!! It definitely helps and I agree preplanning is AWESOME!!!!!! And I would love to be a personal chef. I've taken quite a liking to the healthy food preparation!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned a Keurig but I wanted to second that because I make myself a 2 calorie K-cup in the morning and then add my own milk and sugar free syrup - sure beats stopping somewhere where I will pay way more - both in calories and price!

I collect Fiesta ware and they have a very small bowl called a fruit bowl. (It's kind of an odd name because when I think fruit bowl, I think the big bowl you would use to display fruit but it's very, very tiny). Anyway, it's great for small servings of snacks (like nuts) and I also use it for small servings of ice cream because it fits maybe a scoop in there.

I also love my pepper grinder because fresh pepper is way, way better than the pre-ground stuff.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Only 2

* Small plate
    * Large mirror

^^Lol! Luncheon plates, measuring cups, stick blender. I may have to invest in a big mirror...
  • loope1
    loope1 Posts: 14
    Options
    :smile:
    Tiny cocktail silverware!

Seriously. It helps you eat smaller bites so you're eating slower and feeling full sooner. Plus, they are cute as heck!

Haha! I LOVE eating dessert this way! sugar free pudding or South Beach desserts, cuz it makes them last so much longer! :tongue: So funny that someone else does this on purpose too!

As for me: scale, measuring cups/spoons, sharp knives (makes things so much easier!), Pyrex bowls w/ lids, multiple cutting boards!