Refrigerator Oatmeal/Overnight Oatmeal. I finally tried it.

Options

Replies

• ericksoashg
    ericksoashg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank for the oatmeal tips - I am going to give it a try.
  • poppinjaye
    poppinjaye Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had it this morning--added in one of those little pre-cut cups of unsweetened peaches and a packet of Splenda. Now let's see if I can stay fullish with that and some coffee. Yesterday I wanted to eat everything that wasn't nailed down.
  • ladynica
    ladynica Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I ended up trying this, man did I enjoy it. Thanks for turning me on to it. Great little recipe.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    For the hot/cold folks - I think you gotta eat this cold (as another poster mentioned - heating the yogurt may do bad things).

Other questions - did I see someone did this without chia seeds? How did that work?

And: where do you get chia seeds? Can I find them at the grocery, or is it a health food store purchase?
  • skendrick0601
    skendrick0601 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    OP: are the chia seeds a Tablespoon or a teaspoon?

The recipe that I saw on Pinterest said 1 1/2 teaspoons.
  • DEEDLYNN
    Options
    Silly question ... If I don't like yogurt, will I like this? I have tried to eat yogurt, but I just can't. Does the oatmeal and other ingredients mask the yogurt? In other words, if someone gave this to me to try and didn't tell me what I was eating, can you tell it has yogurt in it? Can I replace the yogurt with something else?

I think I still taste the yogurt, but I like yogurt. I'm not sure what else could be used. Depending on your flavorings it likely cuts down on the yogurt taste.
  • DEEDLYNN
    Options
    I love oatmeal but used to it being hot. How does the very cold oatmeal compare????

I'm loving it cold. Someone else mentioned that it's like dessert and I think they were right. For spring/summer/early fall, I think it's great. Cold winter mornings...I might be back to regular oatmeal. LOL
  • DEEDLYNN
    Options
    Sounds interesting, I'm not a great cereal eater so maybe this would be a way I could enjoy oats? Can you replace the almond milk with anything else? I have to be careful with nuts and I'm not sure I could get it easily here anyway.

I think I've seen it with regular skim milk.
  • DEEDLYNN
    Options
    What was your calorie total, with add ins, btw?

As is, I came up with 164 calories. I added a banana and Splenda, so my total would have been about 250. Today, I just had it plain with sweetner....it was still really good.
  • prettyinpink117
    prettyinpink117 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DEEDLYNN
    Options
    For the hot/cold folks - I think you gotta eat this cold (as another poster mentioned - heating the yogurt may do bad things).

Other questions - did I see someone did this without chia seeds? How did that work?

And: where do you get chia seeds? Can I find them at the grocery, or is it a health food store purchase?

I found chia seeds at our Super Krogers (I'm in Ohio), also Whole Foods and most health food stores. I use quite a bit of them, so next time, I'm gonna try ordering them online.
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hmmm, this sounds pretty good.
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I had my reservations about cold oatmeal..... but, it was absolutely fabulous!! :love:
    I mixed:
    Unsweetened Coconut 1 Tbsp
    Truvia 1 Tsp
    Almond Breeze - Almond Coconut Blend - Unsweetened, 1/2 cup,
    Yoplait Greek Yogurt 1/2 cup
    Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, 1/2 cup
    Champagne Mango, 1 whole
    Yes, it was 400 calories... 100 calories more than I usually eat, but it was very satisfying and filling!

Tomorrow, I'm going to try it with chocolate PB2 and banana.... I can't wait!

This breakfast is a keeper for sure!
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • acalvitt
    acalvitt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Will this recipe work with the Silk Plain Soy Milk as well?
  • DEEDLYNN
    Options
    Will this recipe work with the Silk Plain Soy Milk as well?

Yes...any kind of liquid actually...coconut milk, soy milk, regular skim milk. :)
  • DEEDLYNN
    Options
    I had my reservations about cold oatmeal..... but, it was absolutely fabulous!! :love:
    I mixed:
    Unsweetened Coconut 1 Tbsp
    Truvia 1 Tsp
    Almond Breeze - Almond Coconut Blend - Unsweetened, 1/2 cup,
    Yoplait Greek Yogurt 1/2 cup
    Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, 1/2 cup
    Champagne Mango, 1 whole
    Yes, it was 400 calories... 100 calories more than I usually eat, but it was very satisfying and filling!

Tomorrow, I'm going to try it with chocolate PB2 and banana.... I can't wait!

This breakfast is a keeper for sure!

MMMMM now that sounds GOOD!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've tried this using 1 tbs shredded coconut, 1/2 cup mango, cubed (usually 1/2 mango), and 1 1/2 tbs Agave nectar and 1/2 cup almond milk - mix all with 1/2 cup steel cut (more chewy) or rolled oats and put in fridge overnight. YUMS! A cool tropical treat in the A.M.!

^^ It was cbcbrass98's post that inspired me to try this!
    Thank you DEEDLYNN for posting..... I never knew you could do this with oatmeal! When my regular oats are gone, I may try the steel cut ones.

:love: