Refrigerator Oatmeal/Overnight Oatmeal. I finally tried it.

Options

Replies

• chip305
    chip305 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yum
  • Effy826
    Effy826 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • LexieeLovee
    LexieeLovee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    tempted to try this.. the powdered peanute butter tips aounds awesome
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting...I may have to try this. Maybe this will finally make me an oatmeal lover.
  • jarrettfam
    jarrettfam Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ive made this soaking the oats in fresh unsweetened orange juice , i love the coconut idea tho. in uk ive never seen powder peanut butter but a spoonfull of unsweetended sounds ok.
  • Val_91
    Val_91 Posts: 36
    Options
    I've been hearing so much about this, I'm going to have to try it.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    sounds good!
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    This is inspired me to try it with my quick oats so I just put this all in a jar:

1/2 cup quick oats
    8 oz unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 T PB2

I really hope it turns out well with the quick oats and I also hope it tastes like the no-bake cookies I used to make as a kid! lol
  • TiffanyEst85
    TiffanyEst85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This was quite possibly the best 164 calories I've ever spent for breakfast. Very filling and very tasty and VERY VERY VERY EASY.

Ingredients:

1/4 c. Old Fashioned Oats (not the quick oats)
    1/4 c. Plain Greek Yogurt
    1/3 c. Silk Plain Almond Milk (the low calorie one)
    1 1/2 t. Chia Seeds

Mix every thing up and put in a container with a lid. (Pint canning jars or freezer jars are perfect. I stirred mine a couple times before tucking it into the refridgerator for the night, to keep the chia seeds from clumping.

Next morning--put in your add ins of choice. Today I did banana and sweetner. The add-ins aren't included in the 164 calorie count.

It couldn't be easier, grabbed as I was going out the door and breakfast was ready to serve when I got to work.

Yep. This is a keeper! I've seen it here before, but then I saw photos on Pinterest of all the interesting toppings, etc. Looked good, was good, easy and quick!

I love these! I like to add chopped walnuts and crushed pineapple. Except I add them at the beginning so the pineapple really penetrates the yogurt... that way I don't have to add sweetener. I also use plain non-fat milk-haven't tried it with the almond milk yet, I bet its fantastic though.
  • TiffanyEst85
    Options
    Its also yummy with some powdered peanut butter, cocoa powder and half a banana!

That sounds amazing! where do you purchase the powdered pb?
  • TiffanyEst85
    Options
    Ok so dumb question...do you not cook the oatmeal?

you don't need to! it gets soft over night and once you get past the idea that you're eating cold oatmeal it's so good! I try to think of it more as yogurt than oatmeal because I love my oatmeal hot, but this is so packed with protein it's definitely worth the try!
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Trying this tonight. I hope I can just use oats and almond milk because that's what I have on hand. I'll let you know how it tastes in the a.m.
  • Thinsposa
    Thinsposa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, so I use a banana instead of yogurt. It's amazing, this morning I baked it as well... Even better. Though I do have a weird obsession with oats, I'd eat them over chocolate and chips any day.
  • TiffanyEst85
    Options
    For the hot/cold folks - I think you gotta eat this cold (as another poster mentioned - heating the yogurt may do bad things).

Other questions - did I see someone did this without chia seeds? How did that work?

And: where do you get chia seeds? Can I find them at the grocery, or is it a health food store purchase?

ew. please don't heat them... that makes my tummy hurt just thinking about it! lol. I'm sure you could do it without chia but why would you? they are fantastic! I find myself with so much more energy and they keep you full MUCH longer! They are a complete protein and contain omega 3's and fiber. I live overseas currently and ordered mine from GNC.com for about 8 dollars. not too shabby. I am sure they probably carry them in their stores too, although it only took about 9 days to get here (Germany) by mail.

Give them a try! They are worth it :smile:
  • TiffanyEst85
    Options
    OP: are the chia seeds a Tablespoon or a teaspoon?

The recipe that I saw on Pinterest said 1 1/2 teaspoons.

I use a tablespoon, but I Like my oats thicker.....
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Gotta try this
  • ResetJen
    ResetJen Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dwnlynn
    dwnlynn Posts: 47
    Options
    BUMP