Health Food is too.......

Options

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Healthy processed food will cost more. That is one reason why it's better to eat foods in their natural state.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I live in Nova Scotia as well and I think it comes down to what you are willing to spend. I don't find produce to expensive - yes off season can be a little increase in the buget but buying from the frozen section is not cheaper either , you don't know what's really in the food. It's OK to pick foods that you like- you don't have to blame money for the issue rather that is what you want to buy. Healthy eating is about choices.
    I agree stop with the excuses....

I love junk but if I want to be healthier then I have to chose this type of food a whole lot less. Good Luck!

It doesn't come down to what I am WILLING to spend my dear, it comes down to what I can AFFORD to spend.
    My husband was injured in December and is off work and we do NOT have a lot of income right now.
    Forget I said anything at all.....people are so judgemental.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Expensive?

This is a spin-off from another post, where someone made the comment that health food is too expensive, that's why they choose to eat other things....

I'm not picking on anyone, but let's get real with ourselves shall we?

How much is fruit?? I don't know about you, but I can pick up apples, oranges, bananas, etc. pretty reasonable... same thing with veggies.... how much is a can of tuna? 84-95 cents a can around here.... how much were those hot pockets???? let's see, i can either get a package of bologna :sick: or i can get a jar of peanut butter.....

a bag of doritos or a canister of nuts?
    ice cream or cottage cheese?
    eggs or poptarts?
    is a 24 pack of pop really cheaper than water out of the faucet?? for that matter, is it cheaper than a case of bottled water?
    is juice really that expensive?......i mean koolaid is cheap... until you buy the bag of sugar you need to make a couple pitchers....
    how much is an apple compared to a snickers bar?

just some thoughts.... feel free to add your own... and let's get real! it's about discipline, not money that we eat the way we do!!

when you finally say NO MORE EXCUSES... then NO MORE EXCUSES....

if you want to quit eating unhealthy, quit buying crap for food.....

you don't quit smoking and then go buy cigarettes... think about it!!!
    Great insight! Couldn't agree more!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Plus look for sales at your local supermarket and stock up!
    and like I said earlier.... I'm eating at least 1000 cals LESS a day if not more
    Also, not that I was a big into eating out....but some of you who ate out often or did fast food weekly...should be saving there as well

Just some thoughts....

Kim
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people associate "health food" with specialized stores rather than with "healthY food". It is true that there are some products that you can only get at a specialized "health food" store, but for the most part, you can buy healthY food right at your normal grocery store.

A little research goes a long way. Plan ahead and try to select products that have been processed the LEAST. If you look for low carb or low fat options of your favorite items, generally, you can find them. If your store charges an arm and a leg for fresh fruit/veggies, try a vegetable stand...often they're more organic as well (less chemicals used to grow them).

My SIL swears by the "health food store". Thing is, I went with her one time while we were out together and some of the stuff she was buying could be purchased at Mejier or Walmart for WAY less. So we are over in the frozen food section and she is showing me all of these vegetarian or no meat meals which were like $4.00 per small container (and you could buy some at Walmart cuz I have) and I told her I try to stay away from a lot of frozen meals because of the sodium and she says "Well I don't worry about that". She also didn't read the labels either cuz there was some funky stuff in the ingredients, especially for a "health food store" AND she buys organic jelly beans for her kid. WHAT THE HECK IS AN ORGANIC JELLY BEAN? It's candy for gosh sakes.
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    So, are you living off apples or actually buying groceries? Yes, an apple is cheaper than a Snickers bar, but Kashi meals are $4.00 compared to .94 cents for a Banquet meal. 93/7 beef is close to $4 a lb, and 80/20 is close to a $1 per lb. Kashi cereal is about 3.94 for a 12 oz box even a Wal Mart, and the huge 3 lb bags of Walmart Brand Capn Crunch are like $2.50. Nature's Pride all natural bread is 1.97, and the cheapo white Walmart bread is .89 cents. It's not an excuse, it's a legitimate reason for difficulty affording healthy, fresh food, and especially for anything pre-made and healthy.

i don't totally disagree with you in regards to the examples you give... but all kashi stuff really isn't all that healthy... this kinda goes back to what sarge said... just because it's disguised or labelled as "healthy" doesn't mean it is -- i've read some kashi labels and in some cases i'd rather eat some cookie crisp!

that being said, my contention is simply this: there is always a healthier alternative that doesn't have to cost a fortune -- it may not be CHEAPER in every instance, but it is certainly not so much more expensive that it's impossible....and i didn't even get into the whole fast-food thing... holy crap!!

when you talk about bread.... one slice of 100% whole grain Aunt Millie's bread cut in half and used to make a healthy sandwich fills me up more than 3 peices of empty-calorie white bread ever could... so you have to understand that some of the instances your talking about are relative.... a serving of something healthier can sometimes be more filling than 2-3 servings of its unhealthy equivalent....

i just refuse to believe that it's impossible to eat healthy due to money.... no money is no money -- i get that... and trust me, some people on here know how much i even struggle in that area, who isn't struggling in this economy right now... but there is always a way, if we choose to find it
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    and like I said earlier.... I'm eating at least 1000 cals LESS a day if not more
    Also, not that I was a big into eating out....but some of you who ate out often or did fast food weekly...should be saving there as well

Just some thoughts....

Kim

That is exactly what I do...I buy healthy foods and stock up when they are on sale. =o)
    I usually have to go with whatever fruits/veggies that are on sale that week because otherwise it can add up for us.
    We don't eat out much any more at alllllllll...that just adds way up and is so unhealthy (most of the time).
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I think the difference for most people (especially those with LOW income)...
    Is that they can't afford to run back and forth to the grocery store all the time to pick up fresh things, especially when those thins go bad quite quickly.

......and I don't know where you guys are from but here in NS Canada, we pay a LOT for produce (depending on the time of year).....but then when summer hits we get the good deals from locally grown stuff...
    I LOVE fresh cherries, grapes, etc- but I can't afford to pay the high prices in the winter...and I've seen a head of brocolli cost $3.99 before, for a very SMALL one....it's crazy!
    I think it depends on the income and where you live- personally I think it is quite expensive to eat 100% healthy all the time.
    Take for example low fat whole wheat tortilla's....LOVE those.....they are $3.99 here for a 10 pkg. A pack of 10 does NOT last long when you have three kids and two adults to feed.

lol edit// except one of the three kids only eats breast milk at the moment..=oP

First, kudos on breastfeeding :bigsmile:

I live in Michigan, we do not have great public transportation anywhere in this state and it's one of the most econmically depressed states in the nantion. The city of Detroit does not have ONE, I repeat not ONE single, "real" grocery store.

However, there are AT LEAST two large, free community gardens that I know of in Detroit, and I live 70 miles away from the city.

Healthy food is available to those who really want to seek it out, and can be purchased on a food stamp only budget. So, fresh fruits and veggies can be pricey, frozen are almost always cheap. I can get a bag of frozen broccoli for around a dollar at Aldi or on sale at our local large chain grocery.

Whole wheat tortillas don't last long in my home either, so I freeze them when they are on sale. I do the same with whole wheat pitas from the bakery outlet store.

There are ways, when there is true will.

For my family of 6, two adults, two teenagers, a preschooler and a toddler, I spend less than $500 per month and we only consume organic dairy, eggs, fruits and veggies, other items are hit and miss as for as organic goes, I weigh the cost vs. risk and decide. I shop at our farmer's market in the summer and I make a lot from scratch and freeze. I have a full time job and am very involved in the kid's schools. It can be done, just takes some changes in habits and time management :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I live in Nova Scotia as well and I think it comes down to what you are willing to spend. I don't find produce to expensive - yes off season can be a little increase in the buget but buying from the frozen section is not cheaper either , you don't know what's really in the food. It's OK to pick foods that you like- you don't have to blame money for the issue rather that is what you want to buy. Healthy eating is about choices.

I love junk but if I want to be healthier then I have to chose this type of food a whole lot less. Good Luck!

It doesn't come down to what I am WILLING to spend my dear, it comes down to what I can AFFORD to spend.
    My husband was injured in December and is off work and we do NOT have a lot of income right now.

I don't think that they meant to be mean but for most people they can afford the fresh most of the time. I live in Georgia (USA) and I refuse to buy berries unless they are in season. For this reason I have 4 blueberry plants in my yard, a blackberry trellis, and a fig tree, apple tree, and a lemon tree that I bring in during the winter. I know that you're probably unable to grow these plants so far north but if you're able to grow your own it's always more profitable and healthy. I don't use any pesticides on my produce. I also have a small veggie garden going right now with tomatoes, lettuces, radishes, bell peppers, and herbs. When I have extra I take it and sell it at my local farmers market. :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

Just some thoughts....

Kim

That is exactly what I do...I buy healthy foods and stock up when they are on sale. =o)
    I usually have to go with whatever fruits/veggies that are on sale that week because otherwise it can add up for us.
    We don't eat out much any more at alllllllll...that just adds way up and is so unhealthy (most of the time).
    I'm the same way. And I can find certain "health" items a lot cheaper at certain stores or when on sale.

I try to be sensible! :smile:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I bake my own bread for about .75 a loaf. eat what is on sale in produce section, I will not die without cherries! I wait till the end of the day when the butcher is closing up the meat counter, they sell the excess ground sirloin 90/10 for .99 per pound, to get rid of it"! it can be done and on a very low budget. if broccoli is 3.99 eat green beans! or Kale, or spinach. Try a vegetable garden! you will be surprised how cheap seeds are and how much fresh food and exercise you get! don't give up there is a way!
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options

There are ways, when there is true will.

For my family of 6, two adults, two teenagers, a preschooler and a toddler, I spend less than $500 per month and we only consume organic dairy, eggs, fruits and veggies, other items are hit and miss as for as organic goes, I weigh the cost vs. risk and decide. I shop at our farmer's market in the summer and I make a lot from scratch and freeze. I have a full time job and am very involved in the kid's schools. It can be done, just takes some changes in habits and time management :)

kudos :drinker:

good for you!
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I think a lot of people associate "health food" with specialized stores rather than with "healthY food". It is true that there are some products that you can only get at a specialized "health food" store, but for the most part, you can buy healthY food right at your normal grocery store.

A little research goes a long way. Plan ahead and try to select products that have been processed the LEAST. If you look for low carb or low fat options of your favorite items, generally, you can find them. If your store charges an arm and a leg for fresh fruit/veggies, try a vegetable stand...often they're more organic as well (less chemicals used to grow them).

My SIL swears by the "health food store". Thing is, I went with her one time while we were out together and some of the stuff she was buying could be purchased at Mejier or Walmart for WAY less. So we are over in the frozen food section and she is showing me all of these vegetarian or no meat meals which were like $4.00 per small container (and you could buy some at Walmart cuz I have) and I told her I try to stay away from a lot of frozen meals because of the sodium and she says "Well I don't worry about that". She also didn't read the labels either cuz there was some funky stuff in the ingredients, especially for a "health food store" AND she buys organic jelly beans for her kid. WHAT THE HECK IS AN ORGANIC JELLY BEAN? It's candy for gosh sakes.

ROFLMBO, my boss and I just had a similar conversation...

My kids wanted ice cream sundaes over the weekend, they don't ask for stuff like that often so ok...

Meijer brand organic ice cream $5.09
    Organic heavy whipping cream $1.89
    Organic bananas $.69/lb
    Organic hot fudge....uhhhh....hmmmm.... they don't have it??? Okay, the shell stuff $2.19

So for under $12.00, I made 6 large sundaes, with lots of ingredients to spare for other meals/treats. Less than the non orgnaic crap at an ice cream stand. My boss commented, really why would you even look for organic hot fudge??? She had a point, I have to admit, lol.

So what is an organic jelly bean anyway? Organic sugar, fruit juice for color and flavor maybe??? What about the gelatin part, organic cow bones, lol???
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    one slice of 100% whole grain Aunt Millie's bread cut in half and used to make a healthy sandwich fills me up more than 3 peices of empty-calorie white bread ever could...

I love this bread, SO yummy! And lots of calcium! I buy it at Sam's Club and get two loaves for $5.
    Also, I tried the Debbie Myers Green Bags, the ones that claim to keep produce fresher for longer, and I tested them. They actually work. You get 20 bags for $10 and they are reusable(sp).
  • naugustyniak
    Options

I don't think that they meant to be mean but for most people they can afford the fresh most of the time. I live in Georgia (USA) and I refuse to buy berries unless they are in season. For this reason I have 4 blueberry plants in my yard, a blackberry trellis, and a fig tree, apple tree, and a lemon tree that I bring in during the winter. I know that you're probably unable to grow these plants so far north but if you're able to grow your own it's always more profitable and healthy. I don't use any pesticides on my produce. I also have a small veggie garden going right now with tomatoes, lettuces, radishes, bell peppers, and herbs. When I have extra I take it and sell it at my local farmers market. :flowerforyou:

Me too. Right now I have Blackberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, tomatoes, pepper (of various kinds), egg plant and cucumber growing right now. I also have peach trees, apple trees, pear trees and cherry trees but they are still pretty young and don't produce much. I live on 3 acres so I have the room for this but. I can't wait to make salsa and have fresh veggies and fruit.
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree - although in some cases when the person is apart of lower socio-economic areas where perhaps the mindset is that running down to the fish-nchip shop will be cheaper than buying all the stuff needed to make a decent stir fry or something seems cheaper on the day with what would be spent - but to think how much more satisfying that stir fry would be and how many more meals you could make it stretch to shows it will be cheaper....sometimes its not enough when they only have £3 in their pockets tho........its about educating them.,..Im a social worker and constantley having to do education programs with parents from poorer areas as to why its better to feed their kids healthily for healths sake - but also because they will save a pretty penny - and to be honest it takes some people a long time to realise it, but when they do theyre always so happy as long as they get their head around budgeting too! I think the set up costs for some people to get basic condiemtns ect in order to start cooking healthier foods can be a little bit more than some can afford in one hit but then its just about getting bits at a time as and when they can....and it really is about changing peoples mindsets eh.

xxPINK
  • naugustyniak
    Options

ROFLMBO, my boss and I just had a similar conversation...

My kids wanted ice cream sundaes over the weekend, they don't ask for stuff like that often so ok...

Meijer brand organic ice cream $5.09
    Organic heavy whipping cream $1.89
    Organic bananas $.69/lb
    Organic hot fudge....uhhhh....hmmmm.... they don't have it??? Okay, the shell stuff $2.19

So for under $12.00, I made 6 large sundaes, with lots of ingredients to spare for other meals/treats. Less than the non orgnaic crap at an ice cream stand. My boss commented, really why would you even look for organic hot fudge??? She had a point, I have to admit, lol.

So what is an organic jelly bean anyway? Organic sugar, fruit juice for color and flavor maybe??? What about the gelatin part, organic cow bones, lol???

EXACTLY....I just looked at her like WTF when she bought them.
  • srtakelch
    srtakelch Posts: 24
    Options
    It is more expensive. I do pay for it, but that's how I know.

The tortilla example... yes the whole wheat tortillas are cheaper than fries, but it's stupid to compare a tortilla to French fries. That's "comparing apples and oranges." Try comparing the whole grain tortillas to REGULAR tortillas. At my local ALDI, flour tortillas are 79 cents for 12. The whole wheat tortillas are triple that.

Why are you comparing Snickers to an apple? Snickers bars have protein and will keep you going through endurance activities. An apple will give you energy for less than an hour.

Hot pockets have vegetables, dairy, and bread food groups in addition to protein. Tuna is just protein. The comparisons you make are not logical at all.

Why don't you compare a Hot Pocket to an Annie's Naturals organic whole grain vegan hot pocket? Hot Pockets - $1.89. The Annie's hot pocket - $4.99.

Or, a vegetarian example: buy pre-made chili with meat and it's 99 cents a can. Buy "vegetarian chili" and it's $2.99. Funny, how can it cost more to take the meat out? Are beans really that expensive?

It's because they know that people committed to their health will pay more.

Of course, you can make vegetarian chili or whatever at home. But if you want the convenience of pre-made healthy foods, you have to pay more for it. (especially if you are a vegetarian!)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Me too. Right now I have Blackberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, tomatoes, pepper (of various kinds), egg plant and cucumber growing right now. I also have peach trees, apple trees, pear trees and cherry trees but they are still pretty young and don't produce much. I live on 3 acres so I have the room for this but. I can't wait to make salsa and have fresh veggies and fruit.

I grew up with a mom that has a green thumb...we used to have 4 green houses on our property so I always grew up with fresh veggies and fruits. I don't have much of a green thumb...hince the reason for the certain types of food I grow...it'll grow even if I don't 'help' much. I also live in a subdivision that doesn't have a HOA so I am able to do what I want with my yard, thank God! All of this is in my front yard, if I lived in an HOA neighborhood I wouldn't be able to do this. It was one of the determening factors of why my hubby and I chose the house we live in now. It might be an older area and single story homes...but I have an acre that I can do with what I want to. Most of the homes around here sit on around 1/8-1/4 of an acre. lol, I couldn't imagine.
  • JenniferAnne73
    Options
    I really think that it depends on your lifestyle. Meaning how busy you are, how much income you have and, of course, how many people you are trying to feed. No doubt, if you are only responsible for you and maybe one other person, it's not really more expensive. And if you have the flexiblity of being able to really shop around for good prices on produce and meats then it's not that bad either. Let me just quickly respond to the comment that fruit is cheaper than a candy bar. Unless I buy my produce at a store where it's not worth paying for no matter how cheap it is, it's more expensive than a candy bar. Not to mention that apples haven't been less than $1.49/lb in my area in over a year except for very few sales (2-3) which they were $.99...in at least a year folks.

But it comes down to one thing. Determination! You have to want it! If you are the type of person who has some obstacles...you'll have to work harder and be more disciplined in your lifestyle overall. You are going to have to plan more than the average person. It may mean really manipulating your schedule to make things work, researching healthy meals that "work for you", shopping more than once a week to get fresh foods. Don't think you are going to see all these recipes and be able to cook them all within your tiny budget. You are going to have to stop looking at all those fancy healthy cooking magazines and get real practical. I used to try to cook out of those magazines and my budget went sky high. That ended quickly. Now I just do that once every couple of weeks and I patiently search the sale papers waiting for the right item to go on sale. It takes work and determination.

This is the thing that I find for me and my family of five. If I want to eat healthy I have to diligently watch sales, shop at five different stores, plan my meals if I want to be fancy or cook from scratch (which I do alot), eat alot of the same things over and over...and I do all of those things just to make it work. Right now, we are in a financial crunch and I am determined that I CAN do this. I don't plan on it being this way for ever but if so then at least I will have my health.