Health Food is too.......

Options

Replies

• aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I live in Nova Scotia as well and I think it comes down to what you are willing to spend. I don't find produce to expensive - yes off season can be a little increase in the buget but buying from the frozen section is not cheaper either , you don't know what's really in the food. It's OK to pick foods that you like- you don't have to blame money for the issue rather that is what you want to buy. Healthy eating is about choices.
    I agree stop with the excuses....

I love junk but if I want to be healthier then I have to chose this type of food a whole lot less. Good Luck!

It doesn't come down to what I am WILLING to spend my dear, it comes down to what I can AFFORD to spend.
    My husband was injured in December and is off work and we do NOT have a lot of income right now.
    Forget I said anything at all.....people are so judgemental.

I don't think that they meant to be mean but for most people they can afford the fresh most of the time. I live in Georgia (USA) and I refuse to buy berries unless they are in season. For this reason I have 4 blueberry plants in my yard, a blackberry trellis, and a fig tree, apple tree, and a lemon tree that I bring in during the winter. I know that you're probably unable to grow these plants so far north but if you're able to grow your own it's always more profitable and healthy. I don't use any pesticides on my produce. I also have a small veggie garden going right now with tomatoes, lettuces, radishes, bell peppers, and herbs. When I have extra I take it and sell it at my local farmers market. :flowerforyou:

Fruit trees! I wish!!! I don't even have a yard! I don't even have a windowsill that gets light! Great idea, but what about people who live in an apt? Me, my other half and two tot's live in a small one bedroom. Give me a garden and I'll grow my own fruit! :laugh:

Do you have stairs? I have a friend who grows all kinds of yummy stuff in recycled milk cartons on her apt. steps. If you are in a larger city, are they community plots you can garden in or a community garden you can pick from? Do you have a friend or family member who would be willing to let you garden in their yard? When my Hubby was stationed in Germany, we were in apts. and there were no options for me to garden, I think that was the only thing I really didn't like about living there.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think the difference for most people (especially those with LOW income)...
    Is that they can't afford to run back and forth to the grocery store all the time to pick up fresh things, especially when those thins go bad quite quickly.

......and I don't know where you guys are from but here in NS Canada, we pay a LOT for produce (depending on the time of year).....but then when summer hits we get the good deals from locally grown stuff...
    I LOVE fresh cherries, grapes, etc- but I can't afford to pay the high prices in the winter...and I've seen a head of brocolli cost $3.99 before, for a very SMALL one....it's crazy!
    I think it depends on the income and where you live- personally I think it is quite expensive to eat 100% healthy all the time.
    Take for example low fat whole wheat tortilla's....LOVE those.....they are $3.99 here for a 10 pkg. A pack of 10 does NOT last long when you have three kids and two adults to feed.

lol edit// except one of the three kids only eats breast milk at the moment..=oP

I feel you on this one. I can grocery shop maybe 3 times/ month- and what I buy at the beginning of the month has to last us for 3 weeks. There are usually no in between trips to the grocery store. I always buy fresh foods at that time, but a week later when they're gone, if I didn't have cheap frozen meals in the freezer, there just wouldn't be anything to eat. Ideally. I do try to do the best with what I have, but it takes a lot of planning to keep it clean and healthy all month long. :smile:

Everything's ridiculously expensive here in NB, Canada.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It does cost more because a whole skinless chicken breast is $4.29 per lb and leg quarters are on sale for $0.66 per lb. A bag of regular spaghetti noodles is $1.25, whole wheat are $1.85. A can of peaches is $1.18 and a lb of fresh peaches is $2.99. So yes, it is more expensive to eat healthy. When you are on a strict budget and have to feed more than yourself, you will choose the leg quarters, white noodles, and canned peaches because you can make two meals out of it instead of one as well. You don't have the luxury to buy hot pockets and soda pop or chips. You buy food so you don't starve and the bag of white rice at $ 0.85 that you can get 4 or more meals out of makes a lot more sense than the bag of brown rice at $1.95. I am happy for those that can eat healthy and not worry that they will still have enough food around to feed their family for a week. Some just don't get that choice.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It does cost more because a whole skinless chicken breast is $4.29 per lb and leg quarters are on sale for $0.66 per lb. A bag of regular spaghetti noodles is $1.25, whole wheat are $1.85. A can of peaches is $1.18 and a lb of fresh peaches is $2.99. So yes, it is more expensive to eat healthy. When you are on a strict budget and have to feed more than yourself, you will choose the leg quarters, white noodles, and canned peaches because you can make two meals out of it instead of one as well. You don't have the luxury to buy hot pockets and soda pop or chips. You buy food so you don't starve and the bag of white rice at $ 0.85 that you can get 4 or more meals out of makes a lot more sense than the bag of brown rice at $1.95. I am happy for those that can eat healthy and not worry that they will still have enough food around to feed their family for a week. Some just don't get that choice.

Amen! It's a hard life. We do the best we can. :smile:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have an idea! Turn off your cable tv, that will save a lot of money, I know I did it in Jan!
    Then you can spend a little more on the healthy foods, sitting around and snacking is also lower. Win win
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I live in Nova Scotia as well and I think it comes down to what you are willing to spend. I don't find produce to expensive - yes off season can be a little increase in the buget but buying from the frozen section is not cheaper either , you don't know what's really in the food. It's OK to pick foods that you like- you don't have to blame money for the issue rather that is what you want to buy. Healthy eating is about choices.
    I agree stop with the excuses....

I love junk but if I want to be healthier then I have to chose this type of food a whole lot less. Good Luck!

It doesn't come down to what I am WILLING to spend my dear, it comes down to what I can AFFORD to spend.
    My husband was injured in December and is off work and we do NOT have a lot of income right now.
    Forget I said anything at all.....people are so judgemental.

I don't think that they meant to be mean but for most people they can afford the fresh most of the time. I live in Georgia (USA) and I refuse to buy berries unless they are in season. For this reason I have 4 blueberry plants in my yard, a blackberry trellis, and a fig tree, apple tree, and a lemon tree that I bring in during the winter. I know that you're probably unable to grow these plants so far north but if you're able to grow your own it's always more profitable and healthy. I don't use any pesticides on my produce. I also have a small veggie garden going right now with tomatoes, lettuces, radishes, bell peppers, and herbs. When I have extra I take it and sell it at my local farmers market. :flowerforyou:

Fruit trees! I wish!!! I don't even have a yard! I don't even have a windowsill that gets light! Great idea, but what about people who live in an apt? Me, my other half and two tot's live in a small one bedroom. Give me a garden and I'll grow my own fruit! :laugh:

Do you have stairs? I have a friend who grows all kinds of yummy stuff in recycled milk cartons on her apt. steps. If you are in a larger city, are they community plots you can garden in or a community garden you can pick from? Do you have a friend or family member who would be willing to let you garden in their yard? When my Hubby was stationed in Germany, we were in apts. and there were no options for me to garden, I think that was the only thing I really didn't like about living there.

Stairs yes, but sun light no! The apt we are in now is less than garden happy, we did have a small grass area out front but a new neighbor has decided that his crappy car should go there! ARRRGGGG

I would love to garden and the idea you gave me of finding a local community garden is something I will look into tonight after work! Thank you for that tip:flowerforyou:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I have an idea! Turn off your cable tv, that will save a lot of money, I know I did it in Jan!
    Then you can spend a little more on the healthy foods, sitting around and snacking is also lower. Win win

Of course Internet access will save money. :flowerforyou:
  • JenniferAnne73
    Options
    American's are spoiled and they'd rather give up on their health before they turn off the cable or operate on one car unless absolutely necessary or cut out all text messaging packages on their cell phones or worse...their kids cell phones.
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I hear you on this one too! I'm trying very hard to cook/eat as healthy as I can. I also have 4 kids to feed. I would like to be able to afford to have everyone go to a much healthier lifestyle as well. I just keep telling myself that it's baby steps. I'm making sure that they always have some kind of fresh fruit to snack on. I'm not buying the junk cookies and crackers. I offer as many healthy choices as I can afford right now, and I'd LOVE to know how to best stretch my dollar in this area.

For whoever suggested turning off the cable...good suggestion. We did that over a year ago to save money. We also have the smallest possible phone & internet plan within reason. We have to have higher-speed internet b/c both me and my husband go to school online.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I hear you on this one too! I'm trying very hard to cook/eat as healthy as I can. I also have 4 kids to feed. I would like to be able to afford to have everyone go to a much healthier lifestyle as well. I just keep telling myself that it's baby steps. I'm making sure that they always have some kind of fresh fruit to snack on. I'm not buying the junk cookies and crackers. I offer as many healthy choices as I can afford right now, and I'd LOVE to know how to best stretch my dollar in this area.

For whoever suggested turning off the cable...good suggestion. We did that over a year ago to save money. We also have the smallest possible phone & internet plan within reason. We have to have higher-speed internet b/c both me and my husband go to school online.

Do you know that here (Canada NS) for 5 skinless boneless chicken breasts it can cost UP to $30 and about $25 normally.....a *sale* is when it goes to about $14
    We buy frozen skinless boneless when we can afford it....that stuff is $29.99 for about 15-18 pieces (some are small!)
    When it goes on sale for $19.99 or even $24.99 that's when we buy it.
    Crazy how much some of the healthier stuff does cost.
  • staclo
    Options
    American's are spoiled and they'd rather give up on their health before they turn off the cable or operate on one car unless absolutely necessary or cut out all text messaging packages on their cell phones or worse...their kids cell phones.

That's a generalization. We have almost no "extras." We currently have two cars, b/c one was given to us by my parents who didn't use it. We haven't had cable in over a year. We just got limited texting on our phones, and that's one of our only "luxuries". Oh and we don't go out to eat more than once every few months. We have to have internet for school, otherwise that would be either cut out or on dial-up again.

We are trying to live on one income right now and it's tough. We do the best we can, and we also eat the best that we can. I'd love more ideas in that department too!
  • staclo
    Options

Do you know that here (Canada NS) for 5 skinless boneless chicken breasts it can cost UP to $30 and about $25 normally.....a *sale* is when it goes to about $14
    We buy frozen skinless boneless when we can afford it....that stuff is $29.99 for about 15-18 pieces (some are small!)
    When it goes on sale for $19.99 or even $24.99 that's when we buy it.
    Crazy how much some of the healthier stuff does cost.

That's crazy! I think about 4lbs of skinless boneless chicken breasts are around $15 here, but I always wait until they go on sale. I can usually get them for around $8.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I was just kidding earlier, I wasn't offended that you were assuming I was offended.

We had netflix for awhile and bills were tight, so we canceled that and we started using RedBox $1.00 movies. Quit going to the theatre unless it was like a big kickass movie. THen we'd go for mantinee price during early afternoon. Instead of buying the popcorn, we'd smuggle our own contraband into the theatre. Hey whatever, screw their prices.

We don't have cable. I hijacked mine when we moved into our neighborhood. I'll just leave that at that.

We installed house fans last year and keep our A/C down when we're not at home. When it gets nice (this is kansas, its never nice) we kick the windows open and hit those ceiling fans. Nice.

Winter time, we watch the heater to keep the gas bill down. Snuggle up with a blanket and watch those 1.00 movies. Hey every little bit helps.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    I agree I think it is unfair to say it is EASY to afford eating healthy. It takes a lot of planning, and for me I pick and choose what I want to splurge on. Like my healthy breakfast cereals are way more than your average noname sugary brand. I couldn't live without my Almond breeze milk substitute. And one person buying a lot of variety of veggies gets expensive, hence my evergrowing hatred for baby carrots that always seem to be what I get lol.
  • JenniferAnne73
    Options

That's a generalization. We have almost no "extras." We currently have two cars, b/c one was given to us by my parents who didn't use it. We haven't had cable in over a year. We just got limited texting on our phones, and that's one of our only "luxuries". Oh and we don't go out to eat more than once every few months. We have to have internet for school, otherwise that would be either cut out or on dial-up again.

We are trying to live on one income right now and it's tough. We do the best we can, and we also eat the best that we can. I'd love more ideas in that department too!

You are correct. It is generalization. I wasn't trying to put everyone in the same category. But, I do find that people who are alot better off than me complaining...on a regular basis.

I just lost my job a couple of weeks ago and my husband and I are living from paycheck to paycheck and he is doing side work to make up for my loss. We only had cell phones because they were paid for by the company we worked for. We have one vehicle, no cable bill, no health insurance...no extras at all. I need new clothes because all of my old ones are falling off of my body...I wear the same things all the time. Like the same two or three outfits. My 3 children are growing like every day and they need clothing but there is no money there. I am not complaining though. I am thankful for my family and what we do have and I am thankful for my health which is much better right now!!

But you do have to admit that there are those out there who would make the statement that they can't afford healthy food but have all the extras.

Earlier I was trying to make the point that healthier food is more expensive. Alot of people disagreed.
  • JenniferAnne73
    Options
    I agree I think it is unfair to say it is EASY to afford eating healthy. It takes a lot of planning, and for me I pick and choose what I want to splurge on. Like my healthy breakfast cereals are way more than your average noname sugary brand. I couldn't live without my Almond breeze milk substitute. And one person buying a lot of variety of veggies gets expensive, hence my evergrowing hatred for baby carrots that always seem to be what I get lol.

Do you have a good friend that would be willing to go in with you on stuff from say, Costco or Sam's Club or something? You can buy a larger variety and split it up. I have done that in the past and it is a great way to get a variety.
  • staclo
    Options

You are correct. It is generalization. I wasn't trying to put everyone in the same category. But, I do find that people who are alot better off than me complaining...on a regular basis.

I just lost my job a couple of weeks ago and my husband and I are living from paycheck to paycheck and he is doing side work to make up for my loss. We only had cell phones because they were paid for by the company we worked for. We have one vehicle, no cable bill, no health insurance...no extras at all. I need new clothes because all of my old ones are falling off of my body...I wear the same things all the time. Like the same two or three outfits. My 3 children are growing like every day and they need clothing but there is no money there. I am not complaining though. I am thankful for my family and what we do have and I am thankful for my health which is much better right now!!

But you do have to admit that there are those out there who would make the statement that they can't afford healthy food but have all the extras.

Earlier I was trying to make the point that healthier food is more expensive. Alot of people disagreed.
    Yep, I read what you said earlier. I was thinking as I read the posts, "I would love to see what these people buy, how much it costs, and what meals they make for a family." Not being cynical, seriously. I'm no genius when it comes to cooking. We do our best, but I'm sure that there are ways that we could eat healthier AND not spend more money...I'm just not totally sure what they are yet.

I'm sorry about your loss of work. I'm thankful that we have health insurance through my husband's work, even though it's not the best. Also, we have a great state program for kids who need insurance. We are actually using that as a secondary insurance so that we don't have outrageous medical bills to pay.

I don't personally know people who say that they can't afford to eat healthy when they really can. I'm sure that they are out there. I usually find either a) people who don't care about the fact that they are eating like crap, b) people who do care and do what they can to afford it (like us and my parents), and c) people who don't necessarily try to eat unhealthy, but are ignorant that what they are eating is really as bad as it is.

And I apologize for quoting you before...I just don't like the assumption that I see people making regularly about having money for xyz (like cable) but not good food (or whatever). I read an article in our local paper about a legislator who is pushing for a raise in gas tax. He said that "everyone could afford it" b/c we already buy things like coffee, gum, fast food, etc. That bugged me, b/c he's assuming that "everyone" buys stuff like that on a regular basis. WE don't.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I don't have cable, I check out movies from the Library. I don't have a cell phone, only a home phone. I do have dial up internet at home. We go out to eat maybe once every six months. We buy all of our clothes at the thrift store. Trust me, there is not a dime to squeeze from anywhere. When you have to buy less expensive food, you just learn to cook it without adding more bad stuff. But I can tell you, it is not easy and it is not intentional or for lack of knowing better. It just is.
  • JenniferAnne73
    Options

Yep, I read what you said earlier. I was thinking as I read the posts, "I would love to see what these people buy, how much it costs, and what meals they make for a family." Not being cynical, seriously. I'm no genius when it comes to cooking. We do our best, but I'm sure that there are ways that we could eat healthier AND not spend more money...I'm just not totally sure what they are yet.

I'm sorry about your loss of work. I'm thankful that we have health insurance through my husband's work, even though it's not the best. Also, we have a great state program for kids who need insurance. We are actually using that as a secondary insurance so that we don't have outrageous medical bills to pay.

I don't personally know people who say that they can't afford to eat healthy when they really can. I'm sure that they are out there. I usually find either a) people who don't care about the fact that they are eating like crap, b) people who do care and do what they can to afford it (like us and my parents), and c) people who don't necessarily try to eat unhealthy, but are ignorant that what they are eating is really as bad as it is.

And I apologize for quoting you before...I just don't like the assumption that I see people making regularly about having money for xyz (like cable) but not good food (or whatever). I read an article in our local paper about a legislator who is pushing for a raise in gas tax. He said that "everyone could afford it" b/c we already buy things like coffee, gum, fast food, etc. That bugged me, b/c he's assuming that "everyone" buys stuff like that on a regular basis. WE don't.

Wow...raise the gas tax! Yeah, our economy is ripe for that...LOL I wish he was there to see how often my children hear "NO! You can't have that."

What is killing us is that we really want to move and we would need to pay double what we pay now for our mortgage. And we RENT now...we can't even find a rental for less than double what we pay now. Then I hear how the housing market is doing better and people are buying houses which will in effect raise the prices of homes. If I had no faith I would be crazy...for real!! LOL
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I don't have cable, I check out movies from the Library. I don't have a cell phone, only a home phone. I do have dial up internet at home. We go out to eat maybe once every six months. We buy all of our clothes at the thrift store. Trust me, there is not a dime to squeeze from anywhere. When you have to buy less expensive food, you just learn to cook it without adding more bad stuff. But I can tell you, it is not easy and it is not intentional or for lack of knowing better. It just is.

dial-up? what is that? :huh: