Health Food is too.......

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    It is more expensive. I do pay for it, but that's how I know.

The tortilla example... yes the whole wheat tortillas are cheaper than fries, but it's stupid to compare a tortilla to French fries. That's "comparing apples and oranges." Try comparing the whole grain tortillas to REGULAR tortillas. At my local ALDI, flour tortillas are 79 cents for 12. The whole wheat tortillas are triple that.

Why are you comparing Snickers to an apple? Snickers bars have protein and will keep you going through endurance activities. An apple will give you energy for less than an hour.

Hot pockets have vegetables, dairy, and bread food groups in addition to protein. Tuna is just protein. The comparisons you make are not logical at all.

Why don't you compare a Hot Pocket to an Annie's Naturals organic whole grain vegan hot pocket? Hot Pockets - $1.89. The Annie's hot pocket - $4.99.

Or, a vegetarian example: buy pre-made chili with meat and it's 99 cents a can. Buy "vegetarian chili" and it's $2.99. Funny, how can it cost more to take the meat out? Are beans really that expensive?

It's because they know that people committed to their health will pay more.

Of course, you can make vegetarian chili or whatever at home. But if you want the convenience of pre-made healthy foods, you have to pay more for it. (especially if you are a vegetarian!)

Um...not really. I've been a vegetarian my entire life and I don't dare pay for all the packaged crap. What's the point? Make your own, it's cheaper, doesn't take much longer, and is MUCH better for you in the long run.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I live in Nova Scotia as well and I think it comes down to what you are willing to spend. I don't find produce to expensive - yes off season can be a little increase in the buget but buying from the frozen section is not cheaper either , you don't know what's really in the food. It's OK to pick foods that you like- you don't have to blame money for the issue rather that is what you want to buy. Healthy eating is about choices.
    I agree stop with the excuses....

I love junk but if I want to be healthier then I have to chose this type of food a whole lot less. Good Luck!

It doesn't come down to what I am WILLING to spend my dear, it comes down to what I can AFFORD to spend.
    My husband was injured in December and is off work and we do NOT have a lot of income right now.
    Forget I said anything at all.....people are so judgemental.

Exactly, what the heck people. There is no reason anyone on here should be commenting in a negative fashion about what anyone said. Period. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on something.

There are people that CAN NOT afford it. Saying it is a choice is true, but sometimes that choice is between paying $2 more for each item or heating the house, paying the mortgage.

We need not to judge someones words without knowing their whole story. Everyone is on here to better themselves, and we aren't here to get knocked down when we say something.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    do disrespect intended. but it is about choices. I have heard people say things like I just don't like spinach, or that squash looks gross, I would never even try it! So be it for them!

I have a family member severe diabetic! Always in hospital for leveling off insulin Diabetic shock! it is not because of her diabetes, it is because of her choices to eat too much sugar, too many carbohydrates and try to fix it with just one more shot! Choices! the point is choices!

On any given day you can fill a shopping cart with healthy food for less than the alternate garbage. Generic Oatie O's, the equivalent to cheerios are dirt cheap, good for you and your heart. Shop smart, you can do it! Just because something is in a box and easy does not mean it is good for you! Organic labels are for the uniformed if you ask me! The USDA has not even decided what qualifies for the labeling! But we the gullible public see a label and pounce! You can even make your own pasta cheaper than buying the bagged up stuff! Flour and eggs are cheap!

If it is convenience you want I won't argue about that, but healthy choices can be very affordable. And teaching our kids to be self sufficient is a wonderful thing. They love to join in in the kitchen.
  • JenniferAnne73
    Options
    I think the problem is that people are trying to defend the fact that it is "not" more expensive. It absolutely IS generally speaking. I couldn't do what I do on a tighter budget or say if we didn't have a car or...if we only had one car!! It would be totally impractical for me to do what I do!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I think the difference for most people (especially those with LOW income)...
    Is that they can't afford to run back and forth to the grocery store all the time to pick up fresh things, especially when those thins go bad quite quickly.

......and I don't know where you guys are from but here in NS Canada, we pay a LOT for produce (depending on the time of year).....but then when summer hits we get the good deals from locally grown stuff...
    I LOVE fresh cherries, grapes, etc- but I can't afford to pay the high prices in the winter...and I've seen a head of brocolli cost $3.99 before, for a very SMALL one....it's crazy!
    I think it depends on the income and where you live- personally I think it is quite expensive to eat 100% healthy all the time.
    Take for example low fat whole wheat tortilla's....LOVE those.....they are $3.99 here for a 10 pkg. A pack of 10 does NOT last long when you have three kids and two adults to feed.

lol edit// except one of the three kids only eats breast milk at the moment..=oP

your tortilla example works out to $ .798 per person if each eats two in a meal! cheaper than french fries at the local burger joint! read your grocery adds, you will be surprised! I never pay more than $1 per pound for anything produce. Melons can be .25 per pound sliced up that is very cheap!

Actually she is very correct about the cost of produce in the winter. I live near Toronto and because everything has to be imported it is darn expensive. That being said. A quart of locally grown strawberries costs $5.99 and the imported from the US organic ones are $3.99 at the fruit store I go to....Go figure
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Comparitive prices regarding healthy vs. non-healthy is kinda the same problem I have with people who talk about shopping at a Grocery Store vs. Whole-Salers; Sam's Club, etc etc. You know, either way can be a price-saving advantage if you plan it that way.

But I have to agree with homeboy, if you really sit down and figure it all up. A person can eat right, sensibily, healthy for a fair price....as opposed to spending less, eating pure *kitten* in large quanities.
    Thats the issue here. Its not about whats less expensive. It comes down to overall intake. I don't mind spending a little more on fresher foods or healthier items (I agree they aren't always the cheapest). But if I stick to my plan and overall calorie instake. I'm eating less servings and saving money. Then if I was just eating crap food, for cheaper, but not actually caring what I ate. There's a large difference there. You can make it work for yourself.... you just gotta work at it.

Regardless there are so many options to save money if you put the effort into it. Whether that means check for coupons, hit up the discount days, go to local vendors, farmers markets, or if you are really a desperate penny-pincher...grow some stuff in your backyard for cryin' out loud.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I think the difference for most people (especially those with LOW income)...
    Is that they can't afford to run back and forth to the grocery store all the time to pick up fresh things, especially when those thins go bad quite quickly.

......and I don't know where you guys are from but here in NS Canada, we pay a LOT for produce (depending on the time of year).....but then when summer hits we get the good deals from locally grown stuff...
    I LOVE fresh cherries, grapes, etc- but I can't afford to pay the high prices in the winter...and I've seen a head of brocolli cost $3.99 before, for a very SMALL one....it's crazy!
    I think it depends on the income and where you live- personally I think it is quite expensive to eat 100% healthy all the time.
    Take for example low fat whole wheat tortilla's....LOVE those.....they are $3.99 here for a 10 pkg. A pack of 10 does NOT last long when you have three kids and two adults to feed.

lol edit// except one of the three kids only eats breast milk at the moment..=oP

your tortilla example works out to $ .798 per person if each eats two in a meal! cheaper than french fries at the local burger joint! read your grocery adds, you will be surprised! I never pay more than $1 per pound for anything produce. Melons can be .25 per pound sliced up that is very cheap!

Actually she is very correct about the cost of produce in the winter. I live near Toronto and because everything has to be imported it is darn expensive. That being said. A quart of locally grown strawberries costs $5.99 and the imported from the US organic ones are $3.99 at the fruit store I go to....Go figure

Vote with your check book! don't buy the berries. I guess I am fortunate to come from the Central valley in California, we feed the world!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    , or if you are really a desperate penny-pincher...grow some stuff in your backyard for cryin' out loud.

Would be great to do that but I would get about 3-4 months of food since Toronto has a short growing season
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options

Exactly, what the heck people. There is no reason anyone on here should be commenting in a negative fashion about what anyone said. Period. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on something.

There are people that CAN NOT afford it. Saying it is a choice is true, but sometimes that choice is between paying $2 more for each item or heating the house, paying the mortgage.

We need not to judge someones words without knowing their whole story. Everyone is on here to better themselves, and we aren't here to get knocked down when we say something.

i'm truly sorry if you feel "judged".... but that is not the intention. and you are absolutely right that everyone deserves their opinion...that's why they are discussions....

my contention....once again.... isn't that everyone is rich -- isn't that we need to buy "labelled" health foods... my contention is that there are plenty of affordable choices, that are also incredibly healthy choices, and to say that you "want" to lose weight, or you "want" to be healthy, but then use money as an issue to eat unhealthy is inaccurate.

i meant this more as motivation than a slam.... and i was warned about the consequences.... but you know..... the examples some people are throwing around is a problem with advertising, not health.

just like the "organic" jelly bean... are we serious?? we can simply label something "organic" and it's healthy???? NO, NO, NO!! but so many people wanna believe it is....

change isn't always easy....and the bottom line is, if we don't wanna give up something we will fight to the death to keep it. but this is not about judgment... i don't judge, but i do try to motivate.

i'll gladly offer anyone to go the store/market with me and tell me i can't find affordable AND healthy food for them...... and yes.... this is all MY opinion... take it for what it's worth....

i'm extremely fit, i'm extremely lean, i feel great, and i don't break the bank to do it. i don't see how i can be completely wrong...
  • JenniferAnne73
    Options
    Can I ask a harmless question? Just curious if you are single and only buying for yourself??

Let me just say after asking that question that, I agree you are not completely wrong.
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I think the problem is that people are trying to defend the fact that it is "not" more expensive. It absolutely IS generally speaking. I couldn't do what I do on a tighter budget or say if we didn't have a car or...if we only had one car!! It would be totally impractical for me to do what I do!

I think more of the problem is that people are hoping to find healthy versions of the not so healthy things we eat and an equally less expensive price and you are right, that IS more expensive.

Tortillas, whole wheat or otherwise, are not the healthiest of grain products. Canned chili, vegetarian or otherwise, is not the healthiest of products either. I'm just throwing them out as they have been used by others as an expample.

It all comes down to lifestyle change. Healthy lifestyles are not just about finding the organic, zero trans fat, "healthy" pre packaged foods on sale. It's about learning to make things for yourself, including learning to manage your time in a way that allows you to make change.

I'm sorry if I sound judgemental but I have NO extended family, it is my hubby, myself and our four kids. I work a 36 hour "office hours" week plus I am on call 24/7. I have two active teenaged girls, and am involved in their school and sports stuff. I have a prescooler, who's school I also volunteer at and an autistic two year old who is still nursing and attends a special playgroup, with me, for an hour and a half twice a week. If I can find time to make healthy foods from scratch on a budget, so can just about everyone else. It IS a choice.

I can't tell you the last time I watched TV or a movie. We don't even have cable, we are too busy for television. My hubby and I haven't been on a date since I was pregnant with our four year old. We have a strong, happy marriage in spite of that. There are choices we all have to make.

I think people know that and it's just easier to balme something else, like cost, than it is to make those sometimes tough lifestyle choices. For a lot of my frieds, if it came down to giving up their favorite TV show, or making a few healthy dinners to freeze one night a week.....I think they'd have a tough time, since they've already established that TV habit in their lives. It's a part of their conversation with each other and other family members and friends. There is just a lot more to the big picture of eating well, and affording it, than food choices.
  • aymie24
    Options
    , or if you are really a desperate penny-pincher...grow some stuff in your backyard for cryin' out loud.

Would be great to do that but I would get about 3-4 months of food since Toronto has a short growing season

I get about the same growing season and we gorw and freeze or can a lot of our stuff, and I taught myself how to can after asking on my local freecycle for the equipment, and receiving many offers!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Its amazing how cheap *real* healthy food is. Unprocessed stuff. A big container of oatmeal is 2 dollars for 30-some servings. Steel-cut is slightly more expensive. Fruits, veggies that are unprocessed are also cheap. Nuts are a bit more expensive, but they're so worth it. The simpler the food, the better.
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    Can I ask a harmless question? Just curious if you are single and only buying for yourself??

Let me just say after asking that question that, I agree you are not completely wrong.

Sure, I am single. BUT.... not that I am proud of it.....I did have a family at one point (i am divorced), and we made healthy choices, again without breaking us-- I guess the logic there is, if it's easy enough for me to eat healthy single, and I could easily blow a lot more money eating junk, fast-food, etc..... the ratio still applies even though there are more people in the family. Not that I'm saying you or anyone else does this, but a drive-thru at McDonalds once a week for a family of 5 can go a lot further at the grocery and be tons better for you! Again, IMO.... I don't want anyone hating me over this.... but I do contend that there is always a way.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Well said. I'm on a budget living paycheck to paycheck, but I'm doing it. Instead of getting a lean cuisine for lunch, I have a Tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread. I don't buy the $4.50 whole wheat, I buy the store brand, not quite as good, but it does the trick in moderation. It takes more work and more planning, and I do stop at the grocery store on my way home from work at least once a week to pick something up, but it's worth it. I do know produce does go bad fast, but not if you eat it :wink: That was my problem before, I would have good intentions and buy produce and only eat a small amount, and it would go bad. Now I make sure it gets eaten even if I have to change my dinner plans to make something else that will include whatever is about to turn.
    I've found that searching online for eating healthy on a budget does help a lot, as Mfinney has said, and getting recipes online that are quick and easy.
    This is not meant to knock anyone down at all, I'm just saying that it can be done, and we can all help eachother to do better at it. I am learning that It's all about motivation and preparation. Also to add to someone elses post about growing food in your backyard, this is what I have done. I tend to bring tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers to work with me daily, so I'm now growing them in my yard. I live in London, Ontario, so I know it can't be done year round, but we do have those 3-4 months to go with, and the tomato plants I bought were less than paying for two tomatoes at the grocery store. So, if you can grow it, try it. It's also a great feeling of accomplishment to see something you planted grow into something that you can eat on a daily basis.
    Good luck to Everyone on their path, no matter what it happens to be at this point. :bigsmile:
  • aymie24
    Options
    Its amazing how cheap *real* healthy food is. Unprocessed stuff. A big container of oatmeal is 2 dollars for 30-some servings. Steel-cut is slightly more expensive. Fruits, veggies that are unprocessed are also cheap. Nuts are a bit more expensive, but they're so worth it. The simpler the food, the better.

Exactly. Once you get used to buying, preparing and eating this way, it's almost fun to find ways to cut costs even more. I pay $1.05/lb for organic rolled oats through my friend's co op. So, we eat lots of oatmeal, I grind it to use in place of breadcrumbs, we make our own granola and granola bars....

There are healthy foods that are local and inexpensive to every part of this country and can be incorporated into our diets in big ways. So I don't get to have avacados when I always want them...I can go pick no spray strawberries for $1.25/lb with my kids this weekend and it's not only a great way to feed us healthy fruit all year (we'll freeze some), it's a fun, free weekend activity that they are SO excited about, well at least the two little ones, lol.

It's about CHOICE and arming yourself with information. I think too many people are so focused on only buying food from grocery stores, usually chain stores, and there are other options.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    That is so true! It is the fancier/schmancier stuff that get's spendy...just sticking to the real, tried and true stuff is the way to go.

That being said, I do splurge on my roasted red pepper hummus on occasion!!! :love: :love: :laugh:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

Sure, I am single. BUT.... not that I am proud of it.....I did have a family at one point (i am divorced), and we made healthy choices, again without breaking us-- I guess the logic there is, if it's easy enough for me to eat healthy single, and I could easily blow a lot more money eating junk, fast-food, etc..... the ratio still applies even though there are more people in the family. Not that I'm saying you or anyone else does this, but a drive-thru at McDonalds once a week for a family of 5 can go a lot further at the grocery and be tons better for you! Again, IMO.... I don't want anyone hating me over this.... but I do contend that there is always a way.

Agreed, I'm married and have one child. My husband was laid of last year...we're making it on my income alone and only spend around 50-60 a week at the store. I buy bulk items when possible that are freezeable. I have a garden that we all tend to, we almost never eat out, also I'm a vegetarian so that cuts down on the meat cost. It's all about trying to work it into a budget and sticking to it, looking for sales, buying local, and learning how to manage time to prepar things for the week ahead.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

i'm truly sorry if you feel "judged".... but that is not the intention. and you are absolutely right that everyone deserves their opinion...that's why they are discussions....

my contention....once again.... isn't that everyone is rich -- isn't that we need to buy "labelled" health foods... my contention is that there are plenty of affordable choices, that are also incredibly healthy choices, and to say that you "want" to lose weight, or you "want" to be healthy, but then use money as an issue to eat unhealthy is inaccurate.

i meant this more as motivation than a slam.... and i was warned about the consequences.... but you know..... the examples some people are throwing around is a problem with advertising, not health.

just like the "organic" jelly bean... are we serious?? we can simply label something "organic" and it's healthy???? NO, NO, NO!! but so many people wanna believe it is....

change isn't always easy....and the bottom line is, if we don't wanna give up something we will fight to the death to keep it. but this is not about judgment... i don't judge, but i do try to motivate.

i'll gladly offer anyone to go the store/market with me and tell me i can't find affordable AND healthy food for them...... and yes.... this is all MY opinion... take it for what it's worth....

i'm extremely fit, i'm extremely lean, i feel great, and i don't break the bank to do it. i don't see how i can be completely wrong...

Just a side not, I was not talking about you. I think your points were great and totally correct. Where I take issues is when someone says they can not afford it, and other people tell them they can, it's just their choice and they don't understand the situation those people are in. I am fortunate and don't have to worry about what I pay for my food. But I do understand that I am not in the same situation as other people.

We as a whole need to think about other people's situation before we tell them they are wrong and are just choosing to not eat something. If the choice is brocolli or heat for your kids, it's not that easy.
  • JenniferAnne73
    Options

I think more of the problem is that people are hoping to find healthy versions of the not so healthy things we eat and an equally less expensive price and you are right, that IS more expensive.

Tortillas, whole wheat or otherwise, are not the healthiest of grain products. Canned chili, vegetarian or otherwise, is not the healthiest of products either. I'm just throwing them out as they have been used by others as an expample.

It all comes down to lifestyle change. Healthy lifestyles are not just about finding the organic, zero trans fat, "healthy" pre packaged foods on sale. It's about learning to make things for yourself, including learning to manage your time in a way that allows you to make change.

I'm sorry if I sound judgemental but I have NO extended family, it is my hubby, myself and our four kids. I work a 36 hour "office hours" week plus I am on call 24/7. I have two active teenaged girls, and am involved in their school and sports stuff. I have a prescooler, who's school I also volunteer at and an autistic two year old who is still nursing and attends a special playgroup, with me, for an hour and a half twice a week. If I can find time to make healthy foods from scratch on a budget, so can just about everyone else. It IS a choice.

I can't tell you the last time I watched TV or a movie. We don't even have cable, we are too busy for television. My hubby and I haven't been on a date since I was pregnant with our four year old. We have a strong, happy marriage in spite of that. There are choices we all have to make.

I think people know that and it's just easier to balme something else, like cost, than it is to make those sometimes tough lifestyle choices. For a lot of my frieds, if it came down to giving up their favorite TV show, or making a few healthy dinners to freeze one night a week.....I think they'd have a tough time, since they've already established that TV habit in their lives. It's a part of their conversation with each other and other family members and friends. There is just a lot more to the big picture of eating well, and affording it, than food choices.

I see your point. But I am still talking about the fresh foods as well. I eat very healthy and I have to really work hard to do it. If you read my other posts you'll see that I shop at 5 different stores sometimes just to get the good stuff on sale. Everybody is not in a position to do that.

Now I think I have it harder financially than I normally do and I could easily judge out of my own circumstances. BUT the Truth is....some people have it much harder than me. And they can't spend the time or gas or whatever to go to 5 different stores. I am only able to do that because the stores are on my way to other places I have to go...it just works out for me...but not everybody has it that way.

We are talking about how expensive healthy food is...and for Pete's sake...fresh foods included.