BMR IS not for obese and morbidly obese people

Options
12346»

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on here who is that big. When he logs he ALWAYS eats at 1800-2000 level. His limit is 3000. He does it for a few days and stops. Because he's starving. Rinse and repeat. Wouldn't it be better for him to eat the 3000 and stick with it?

Exactly.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have 110 more pounds to lose which makes me morbidly obese. My BMR is around 1700 cal/day according to MFP. I eat 1600 + exercise cals and have been losing at a healthy and reasonable rate.

Trading in fat unhealthiness for starving unhealthiness is NOT the way to go.

If your body is using 2800 calories to keep everything running smoothly, so be it. You don't gain weight by eating your BMR and exercise calories, those people gained so much because they were eating WAY MORE than that. So if you're going to eat 2800 calories down from 5000+, you're gonna lose.

PLEASE no one take this person's advice!

Love this. Keep doing this the healthy way!
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options

you mean you understood that ?

hehe, fo re-al.
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    If you can't spell "you", I really don't think you are qualified to give any type of advice!

well said, sir!
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1880 (BMR - 1000 cals) calories per day I have a bmi of about 42 , I have lost 24lbs in a fairly
    short period of time .

That's not BMR - 1000.

That is BMR x activity factor = non-exercise daily maintenance - 1000 = daily net goal.

Your BMR is on Tools - BMR Calc, along with description of what it is.

Yeah my bmr is 2260
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1880 (BMR - 1000 cals) calories per day I have a bmi of about 42 , I have lost 24lbs in a fairly
    short period of time .

That's not BMR - 1000.

That is BMR x activity factor = non-exercise daily maintenance - 1000 = daily net goal.

Your BMR is on Tools - BMR Calc, along with description of what it is.

Yeah my bmr is 2260

I was showing that your goal was NOT reached by taking your BMR minus 1000, but rather what I showed.

And your Activity factor was Sedentary at 1.25 multiplier.

And your BMR has already lowered since goal was set. Soon, MFP should be suggesting a lower daily goal.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I do recalculate every time I enter a new weight . I recalculated now and MFP took 30 calories off me
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am 288 and my BMR is only 1850. I used the most current calculator and not the outdated one and even when I used those, I got around 2050 for my BMR. No where near 2800 or 4000.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have 110 more pounds to lose which makes me morbidly obese. My BMR is around 1700 cal/day according to MFP. I eat 1600 + exercise cals and have been losing at a healthy and reasonable rate.

Trading in fat unhealthiness for starving unhealthiness is NOT the way to go.

If your body is using 2800 calories to keep everything running smoothly, so be it. You don't gain weight by eating your BMR and exercise calories, those people gained so much because they were eating WAY MORE than that. So if you're going to eat 2800 calories down from 5000+, you're gonna lose.

I know my intake WAS way more than my BMR, probably about 3500 a day before MFP.