Closed Diaries?

Options
I'm just wondering why some people have closed diaries? I find it hard to support someone saying' "yah great day" when for all I know they couuld have had a feed of mcd's.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, so please dont shoot me down. Just wondering. :wink:

Also, its good to see what other people are eating to get new ideas.

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If they stay within their calorie limits, why are you concerned about what they're eating?
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I like to creep on other people's diaries just to get an idea of what they're eating to lose weight and also to get new snack/lunch/breakfast ideas.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Could be any number of personal reasons.

There are plenty of folks with open diaries, if you want to look at what people eat.
  • tiffanic83
    Options
    Its automatic when you sign up... I didn't even know how people had open diaries till I searched the website and saw you have to change your settings. Support is great, but if I am staying under my calorie goal that's whats important to me. I don't eat fast food and I don't check other people's diaries. What they eat is their business, they need the support regardless.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary as a private record.. not to get messages about why im eating less, or you should eat more of this, or less of that.
  • verodzrosas
    verodzrosas Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, I didn't know the diaries could be private or public. In my opinion it would be nice if they were open so that I could get ideas from other people's meals.
  • saugonda1
    saugonda1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i don't like closed diaries, it defeats the whole purpose
  • schwim
    schwim Posts: 65
    Options
    if you start using mfp from a phone app then you might not know about opening your diary. otherwise they might just want a bit of privacy with the foods they are eating.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I closed mine after someone found it and made snarky comments about my diet and exercise. I don't need anyone's approval, but I'm pretty damn tired of people playing "punch the vegan."
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I like to look at other people's diaries but respect those who keep their's private.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Some people just aren't comfortable letting others see what they eat for various reasons.. be it they don't eat very healthy, or they don't eat enough, or they forgot to log half the time.

Whatever the reason, the point is mind your own business and let people alone. If you are that nosy and must know what all of your friends do, then just ask them and potentially creep them out.

P.S What the hell is wrong with MCD? If people want to eat that or junk, then who cares? I eat junk all the time and am doing just fine thank you!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends.....but honestly it's no ones business really.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If they stay within their calorie limits, why are you concerned about what they're eating?

If you can't see their diary then you don't know if they're under/over by a huge margin or not. I'm not going to congratulate someone who only ate 500 calories a day, or who ate 3000 calories over their target. I'd like to offer support if someone is wildly over or under, that's why I like open diaries.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Because Im so tired of having to spend all my time on this site answering emails about my diary. Explaining that the bottom line is not the most important thing and that my body is not exactly the same as their body and Ive lost almost 100 pounds and they've lost 1.5 and I dont want to hear it anymore.

Which really makes me sad, cause Id love to show off the exercise part of my diary.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I've seen people say they just don't like people looking at their diary for a variety of reasons - usually because they don't want to risk any negative comments from people.

I keep mine open to friends and have had people ask about some of my foods to get recipes or ideas.

I don't generally comment on my friends' diarys because I have over 350 friends and I won't comment if I can't see the diary and I'm not reading 350 of them a day. :smile:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I had mine closed for awhile because I wasn't logging. Its public now.
  • verodzrosas
    verodzrosas Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Where do I choose wether it private or public???
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I just wish I could see the looks on some peoples faces when they read it.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Mine's open but it was used as ammunition by a "friend" when she decided she wanted to delete me, not that I care, I've lost 53lb she's lost 14 :smokin:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want to be judged when I have a day of McDonald's...