Closed Diaries?

Options

Replies

• ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I made mine private because I'm known to eat Taco Bell every now and then. :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends, because I don't care if they see and because I don't particularly care what anyone else thinks of my diet as it is my body and in the end, no-one knows their body better than themselves. I have nothing to hide, and not being overweight, my diet is not especially stringent anyway. I think sometimes, people can get too caught up in what everyone else is eating instead of focussing on themselves. I have no personal concern as to whether people keep their diaries open or closed and think people should have the right to use the site to help themselves and track their calories, without feeling impelled to share it with the world.

It is about personal choice, and everyone has the right to make their own choices without having to feel guilty about it.
    It isn't an obligatory part of this site, that everyone has to involve others in their dietary affairs.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have my diary open to friends. I don't get caught up in comments anyone may make about what I'm eating but I don't have it open to everyone. My philopsophy is that if you want to support me in my journey, then you'll send me a friend request. If you're not interested in being supportive, then I don't care to hear your opinion about my food choices. If a "friend" does comment, then I accept that they are trying to be supportive but I do what I know is best for me.
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    I CLOSED MINE BECAUSE THIS "FRIEND" WAS ALWAYS CRITICIZING WHAT I ATE AND I AM A PICKY EATER SO CERTAIN THINGS SHE WANTED ME TO EAT I COULD NEVER GET IN I EXPLAINED AND EXPLAINED BUT THEN SHE KEPT DOING IT --- NOW I USE KINDA AS DIARY IN THE NOTATION PORTION PERSONAL NOTES ABOUT MY DAY ETC THAT I WOULDNT WANT TO SHARE AT THIS POINT OF MY WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    i don't like it, and i'm going to start deleting

you will be doing them a favor.. because clearly your friendship is self centered.
  • VenomousDuck
    Options
    well, I keep mine closed because I am on a medically supervised diet. 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carb and 1500 cals. So when people see my diet the go insane.

But I get blood tests monthly and am incredibly healthy, I am no longer diabetic (type 2) and am training for a triathlon. So, I just don't let people in there.

Oh, and I am a chef, and eat things most people wouldn't.... LOL!!!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It is nobody's business what I'm eating.
  • Twidget12
    Twidget12 Posts: 71
    Options
    I keep mine private for several reasons - but to name one: I make personal notes everyday in the Food and Exercise note section....how I feel, personal goals, long term goals, ideas..things that are no ones business.

^ This exactly!
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Some people just aren't comfortable letting others see what they eat for various reasons.. be it they don't eat very healthy, or they don't eat enough, or they forgot to log half the time.

Whatever the reason, the point is mind your own business and let people alone. If you are that nosy and must know what all of your friends do, then just ask them and potentially creep them out.

P.S What the hell is wrong with MCD? If people want to eat that or junk, then who cares? I eat junk all the time and am doing just fine thank you!

Wow.. Bit OTT if you dont mind me saying.. It was just a question in gest.. And as pointed out at the start, no offence was intended.. I agree its nice to see what people are eating.. Not to be nosey at all.. But to get ideas for my own meals.. As most people will I'm sure agree, its easy to get stuck eating the same few meals regularly which leads to getting bored n giving up...
    If people wana keep their diaries private that's fine.. The person asking the Q wasn't saying they shudn't.. was just a general query...

Thanks, yes it was just a question. I haven't been using this site long so have not come across many of the negative aspects that people have been pointing out. (that they have experienced).

I wasn't expecting so many personal attacks at a question. Back to lurking for me!
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah, I don't reall want to expose myself to criticism when I already know what I ate that I shouldn't have and am already criticizing myself heavily. But I wouldn't be saying I had a great day if I pigged out.
  • fragilestrength
    Options
    I have a closed diary. Mostly because I'm reserved in nature, so I just lurk the forums. My only friends are family members {that don't log in anymore :(} that I tried to sway into mfp-land.

I gather that if I had a group following I would have it opened to them.
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Someone posted once that she was concerned that she may not put down the truth if she knew others were looking at it. So to each his own.

I don't judge. Losing weight and how you do that is such a personal matter. To each his own.
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    I've had mine both ways...... I had a run in with a (now ex) MFP friend a couple days ago and I was just so p'oed that I wanted to close my diary and make it private.

I think at the end of the day, for people that are struggling to lose weight and fight addictions to different foods, diaries can be very, very personal. No one wants their failures slammed in their face when they are having a hard time.

Another point: What's healthy for me, is not healthy for you. Every person's body is different..... I for example have problems keeping my blood pressure up (get headaches, etc.), and I also have problems with my thyroid. I, and only I, can be the judge of how my body feels each day, and what choices I should make for food. I don't need someone else butting in with what they think is right.

Being judgey is NOT being supportive.
  • denisem0316
    Options
    I keep mine private for several reasons - but to name one: I make personal notes everyday in the Food and Exercise note section....how I feel, personal goals, long term goals, ideas..things that are no ones business.

I'm im the same boat you need to realize that there is more in some than just posted food. I'm an emotional eater so emotional states are important for me to track as well and not so important for other people to know if I"m happy depressed, emotional all together or PMSing! You are only seeing it as one part!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I don't want others' opinions on what I eat, how much of it I eat, or how much I eat or don't eat in general. I'm not here for a stranger's opinion on what I put in my mouth. If I want to know something I will ask someone but otherwise I don't need anyone bothering me when the bottom line is I'm making progress and I'm educated enough to know when I've screwed up and how to fix it without another mouth flapping. If it bothers anyone, they can delete me as a friend. I came to this site for one reason: to log my calories. I'm not here for head pats, for cheerleaders, or for lectures and so I don't encourage any of it.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have mine closed since i"m progressing along ok, if I ever need help I will open it but for right now it's just there to help me keep track of my calories and macros. :happy:
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

you will be doing them a favor.. because clearly your friendship is self centered.

I still want to know why/how the closed diaries delete the purpose here? lol
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options

I still want to know why/how the closed diaries delete the purpose here? lol

When you find out..please do inform us all! Its a mystery!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You have been on this site for almost a year and have to ask this question? Apparently you must skip right on by all the nasty hateful posts. Good for you! Site must be super supportive then for you...for others not so much.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'm such a *****. I just locked mine up in honor of this thread. LOL!