Closed Diaries?

Options

Replies

• SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    comment on their exercise and forget about their diary.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of people that leave pretty nasty messages for some people's diaries. I now will only leave my diary open to my friends.
  • saugonda1
    saugonda1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i don't like it, and i'm going to start deleting
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way: I have had periods where I have mine open and periods where I have it closed. I also feel this is my diary so its my right to do it as I please. If you feel you absolutely must not give a person a "way to go" because your concerned about what someone had, then that is also your choice. The problem is, too many people feel like they are 'experts' and want to critique a diary regardless whether its asked for or not. This reminds me, I think I may close mine again.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed because I make all my food from scratch and can't be bothered to log all my recipes (different recipe every week). So basically I am either entering the 'equivalent' of what I ate or entering manually calculated calories (basically by doing the same thing the recipe tool here uses but with a tool I'm more used to).

Plus, my diary is closed because my definition of healthy is MY definition. Nobody has any right to try and tell me what to eat or what not to eat. That's not their judgment to make. This from the girl who mainly eats clean except for a few exceptions (store bought gluten free donuts FTW!)
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Haha! Its the same reason I keep mine open too!
  • stufie
    stufie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary as a private record.. not to get messages about why im eating less, or you should eat more of this, or less of that.

Exactly. I am extremely hard on myself. If I eat something horrible I feel bad enough about it, let alone having to think about what others are going to say about my choices. I don't need the extra criticism, I criticize myself enough as it is.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i don't like closed diaries, it defeats the whole purpose

I disagree - it depends on what your purpose is. When I joined MFP, I was just using the phone app and didn't even know there were forums, or friends or anything like that! I don't use MFP for support or external accountability, I use it as a logging tool. So it doesn't defeat my purpose at all.

And for the record, I really hate the assumption that if you have a closed diary, you're eating crap all the time. That is complete nonsense.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends.....but honestly it's no ones business really.

This is me too.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    i don't like it, and i'm going to start deleting

Why?

It's none of your business what others do... and if you can't support someone because their diary is closed and you don't like it, well then thats just plain silly.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    An open diary will only open a can of worms only if the other person reading it does not have an open mind. I eat 1-2 servings veggies and one or two servings of fruit per day the rest is what I like I am healthy, lean and muscular. Criticizing someone for not eating like you or a certain is not a good thing but suggestions are always welcome.

After all aside from food quality the rest is nothing but a numbers game and guessing game.
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    this is how I feel too, keeps ME more honest.

sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone. Certainly didn't expect so many replies ;-)

I guess if someone is going to post negative/unsuportive comments on my diary they would swiftly get removed.....
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of people that leave pretty nasty messages for some people's diaries. I now will only leave my diary open to my friends.

Hmmm haven't seen that in the time I've been here. Why do you care what other people say? MFP is your personal health journey to success. Negative comments push me to try harder. If you only hear the good what do you gain and why do you need friends to stroke your ego?
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If they stay within their calorie limits, why are you concerned about what they're eating?

If you can't see their diary then you don't know if they're under/over by a huge margin or not. I'm not going to congratulate someone who only ate 500 calories a day, or who ate 3000 calories over their target. I'd like to offer support if someone is wildly over or under, that's why I like open diaries.

I guess people with closed diaries don't need congratulating or supporting, it's just a private record for themselves.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I keep track for me, and me only. I don't care if anybody ever says "nice job" when I eat under my calories. I can honestly say, I've never looked at another persons diary.
    ^^THIS^^ you said it better than I was able to. I honestly never look at diaries, I barely have time to log my own. If one of my MFP honestly feels they can not support me as a friend because my diary is locked, then we probably are not that good of friends anyway, if this is how we are defined as friends.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I have NO Issue with it.....only when they complain about the scale not moving and why or they have come to a plateau.... I enjoy the open ones for suggestion, recipes, and says alot about your concern about eating right when they are open....
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary as a private record.. not to get messages about why im eating less, or you should eat more of this, or less of that.

What she said.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think the whole purpose is to just SUPPORT the journey.., not judge what others are eating or criticize them for their food choices. I have seen on more than one occasison where someone spies on a diary and comments about a processed meal or not eating enough fruits or veggies or why they aren't eating "cleaner". Everyone is entitled to their OWN journey without complete strangers telling them what they're doing wrong. If an individual feels that they are making better choices and changing their life style to their personal comfort zone... then why should others make them feel like they aren't doing enough?
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with privacy?? My diary was closed when I signed up...never thought about opening it...and I have plenty of support.

You feel uncomfortable supporting a member because you can't see what they are eating? Very interesting!
    I truly don't get why some individuals worry about things that have absolutely nothing to do with their own success.
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private for several reasons - but to name one: I make personal notes everyday in the Food and Exercise note section....how I feel, personal goals, long term goals, ideas..things that are no ones business.

Same. This is exactly why I keep mine private.