Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I prefer drinking H₂O₂, it tastes better. wait.gif
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    So, for the sake of argument, lets say a drank an ordinary 32oz of water. 5 minutes later, for whatever reason, I swallowed an entire packet of propel zero (good for 16oz of water). How many ozs of water do I subtract 0, 16, or all 32 ozs of water from my total? ;)

You don't have to subtract anything. You drank the water by itsefl ::flipdesk::
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If it was water before I put something else in it, I am still consuming water. By your logic if you have a cracker with your glass of water it is no longer water because surely you have some crackery backwash going on that destroys the virginity of the H2O.

Please tell me what the window is between consuming water and consuming something else that ensures the validity of the water that you just drank "counts".
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that anyone cared this much... Or what stems it really... People are drinking something other than caffeinated, carbonated, carb loaded soda... Or any other various drink that is relatively horrible for you. I'd be curious to see how flavoring water is more harm than good exactly.

Drinking 64 oz of no calorie(for better or worse here) flavored "water" as you hate... Or a 2 liter of soda or diet soda.... Pretty sure the chemically altered water is doing a lot more good than the soda which has even more crap added.

I get its a pet peeve, but man, I can't imagine something like that getting under my skin....

And what is diet soda besides flavored water?

Diet soda is carbonated and caffeinated(usually). Pretty big difference IMO.

So is it the carbonation or caffeine that means it will not hydrate you at all? Does this mean something like Perrier (mineral water) doesn't count as water?
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    If it was water before I put something else in it, I am still consuming water. By your logic if you have a cracker with your glass of water it is no longer water because surely you have some crackery backwash going on that destroys the virginity of the H2O.

Please tell me what the window is between consuming water and consuming something else that ensures the validity of the water that you just drank "counts".
    +1
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Ok this is one of my pet peeves... Water is nothing else but h2o. It bugs me when people talk about "flavor water" if what you drink has a flavor taste, color or anything like that, news flash it's not water.
    What exactly is your pet peeve? That water is nothing else but H2O? That people talk about flavor water? Are you saying that anything with a flavor, color or taste is not water? Have you smelled my tap?
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Ok this is one of my pet peeves... Water is nothing else but h2o. It bugs me when people talk about "flavor water" if what you drink has a flavor taste, color or anything like that, news flash it's not water.
    What exactly is your pet peeve? That water is nothing else but H2O? That people talk about flavor water? Are you saying that anything with a flavor, color or taste is not water? Have you smelled my tap?

Growing up, ours was rust colored and smelled like rotten eggs. Was that water? The city charged us for water for that stuff.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I agree ppl should be drinking plain water despite the taste or lack thereof. It gives your kidneys a nice break from filtering and helps the spleen filter the blood more easily.

I hate reading posts about ppl advocating drinking any type of beverage instead of water, claiming its just as good for the body. Drinking coffee, energy drinks, artificial sweeteners.... That stuff needs to be filtered by our bodies.

Your kidney are filtering all the time as the blood flows through them all the time. Having more water than you need also requires filtering in order for the body to maintain healthy levels of potassium, sodium etc.

With your reasoning, if I hold my breath it gives my lungs a nice break from taking in O2 and expelling CO2
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    What about dihydrogen monoxide? Maybe we should not count that as water either.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ok this is one of my pet peeves... Water is nothing else but h2o. It bugs me when people talk about "flavor water" if what you drink has a flavor taste, color or anything like that, news flash it's not water. True it may be made with water, but when you put chemical packets to enhance the taste it's no longer true h2o. And what's in those packets will do more harm than good.

What if the packet contains nothing but tea leaves? Then it is still good for me.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i dont count anything as my "water intake" unless its literally a cup of water...

protein shakes dont count
    flavoured water dont count
    tea dont count
    coffee dont count\

^ THIS. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You might not count it, but your body does:smile:
  • cinchris123
    Options
    awesome!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Fact of the matter is, they have done studies, and have determined that even the diuretic effect of caffeine in mass quantities does not affect the average person regarding hydration.

Years ago, nutritional science amended the 8/8oz glasses of pure water to 9 glasses of LIQUID a day. That is an approximation as well. You have to gauge by urine color, potency, and output.

Now, there are dietary impacts regarding these things BUT liquid is liquid. I mean, what's your take on the fact that the 8/8oz was an estimation made AFTER considering the average person's diet and what water was derived from food? Were all those scientists wrong, because there's no way you can get water from food because it's not "pure"?

Bah, I'm just venting my own frustrations. I only count pure water glasses, but I don't drink it to excess. I enjoy my energy drinks and my occasional soda, and about a gallon of water a day (btw, that's 16/8oz glasses) because that's what I like and prefer. To each their own.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I like me some high quality h2o...

1650_1.jpg

(can't believe it took this long for anyone to make a Waterboy joke...)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that adding flavor changes the h2o molecules to something else

Clearly, it does. Duh. Adding a teabag, sugar, honey or anything else makes what was once water ... no longer water. I don't know what it becomes, but clearly it is no longer water.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't log my water. Why does everyone get in such a hissy fit about logging water.

I dont get it.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Joining with other arguments... GOD FORBID you EAT when you drink your water! The two being in your stomach at the same time completely mixes up the water with food and acids and... OMG I just realized that the minute you put water in your mouth it becomes infested with germs and food particles and saliva, how can we ever get water that's truly, honestly pure in this world?

My new habit: Swish with Listerine for 1 minute, then rinsed with pure, distilled water for a minute, then drink entire gallon because the first half or so will be tainted by stomach acid, so the second half is the only one that really counts. Measure urine output in accurate cup and if it's at all yellow I have to drink more water in this same manner because yellow means there are additives.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I understand that we need to be hydrated and drinking water has multiple benefits besides being essential for life. But all you guys who drink excessive amounts say 5-9 litres a day. You do realise you aren't getting any benefits from this right? Research has shown we really don't need that much water for health. :noway:

There is indeed a benefit - that warm, fuzzy feeling of superiority.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Water is water, but I hate the taste of water. I don't add flavor to it though, I just avoid it. Sue me...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Joining with other arguments... GOD FORBID you EAT when you drink your water!
    Haven't you heard? I read it right here on MFP, so it must be true:

If you drink with your meal the liquid forces the food through your stomach really fast so it doesn't even digest and you'll be STARVING five minutes after eating and then eat more and get big like a blowfish and stuff.