People who are burning 1000+ calories a day

Options

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Random question, what does it mean when someone has "MFP Moderator" under their name? I mean obviously they have something to do with MFP, but what?

They moderate stuff
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM, I burn 1100-1600+ on a 2.5 to 3 hour bike ride, depending on the hills on the route. I am an average sized woman.
  • MzChristyLove
    MzChristyLove Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    my question was to you...why do you feel the need to comment on your friend's calorie burn?

is this person losing weight? if so, then he's doing something right. If not, then he may need a little coaching.

I on the other hand am losing at a steady rate of 1.7-2.3 lbs a week so I know I'm doing something right.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    A Spartan or Tough Mudder race will easily burn over 1000 cals by the finish line....and make you a badass! =)
  • MzChristyLove
    MzChristyLove Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yes you are speculating? I was asking a certain person, why does she care to comment on a person's page. (a friend of hers) "not" this thread.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Light cleaning mostly. Some dog walking.

for like 7 hours a day or something?

LOL. I think he is poking fun at the people who log cleaning and "Food prep".

I never understood why people log those things. I do them daily and I'm fat. It's not going to help me lose weight lol. I have 3 kids and 8 cats to clean up after!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My half marathon I ran Monday only had me burning 1200 calories. I am a fairly petite girl, but I had to work hard for that calorie burn! I use my heart rate monitor that was calibrated by an exercise physiologist using my measured resting metabolic rate, my measured VO2max and my lactate threshold. I just don't see how someone doing a few miles or an hours worth of working out has that kind of calorie burn unless you are humongous!

220 lb x running 6.0 mph = 1000 cal/hr

That's a constant effort. Which is why, even if someone is even heavier, it is virtually impossible to burn 1000 calories in an hour of Zumba or any other exercise class.

Yeah, but 220 lb x running 5 mph treadmill at 5% incline = 1050 cal/hr. While I don't disagree that it's hard to burn 1000+ calories in an hour of Zumba or some other exercise class, I do think that it's easier to burn 1000+ calories for larger people than most people think.

Most exercise days, I post 800-1000+ burns (most days of the week). I eat a lot of those calories back. Going by my MFP net stats for the last 8 weeks, I should have lost 10 pounds. I've lost more than that, but since I know all of that isn't fat, by using the same bioelectrical impedance device under the same conditions, I've lost enough body fat % to equal 9.7 pounds of fat. I know these fat calculating devices aren't accurate, either, but I do recognize that they can be fairly accurate in tracking changes in body fat % when used under the same conditions repeatedly.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Bikram (yoga in a 105 degree room) can burn a ton of calories in a 90 min sesh. I weigh 118 lbs and burn aprox. 950 cals per sesh. If you weigh more you burn more. Be warned this is not deep breathing yoga, this is cardio and strength yoga.

LOVE Bikram (and all types of yoga in general)! It makes me sweat like a *kitten* in church. Your profile pic is amazing! I'm not that good but hopefully one day.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Random question, what does it mean when someone has "MFP Moderator" under their name? I mean obviously they have something to do with MFP, but what?

MFP Moderators are selected by the MFP staff to assist on the forums, to help maintain a good experience for the users.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    To sbjchristy - I am glad that your workouts are working for you now and you are losing weight and body fat. But like others have been trying to tell you, unless these "laps" are in fact a mile long each and not laps around a track that are about 1/4 mile each, you are doing yourself a disservice by thinking you are burning 1,000 calories. Yes, everyone is different, but no one is that different.

sbjchrist, this is exactly the point I was trying to make.

I used 150 pounds as a good, middle of the road, body weight. I never presumed that to be your weight. Regardless if you weigh less or more than that, the numbers still don't change by that much.

I'm happy that your program is working for you, but science and anecdote demonstrate that the calorie burn you are getting from your device(s) is just wildly inaccurate, or your laps are a mile plus long. Again, just knowing how long you walk for could shed some light on this. If it's a couple hours, then it may be accurate. If it's an hour, most likely not.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I see you got your information from a page that uses statistical information based on probably a limited amount of people. Not everyone's body type is the same, there's gender, muscle mass, body fat, height, age etc, etc....

Not everyone's heartbeat beats at the same pace either...if so my calorie burn and someone else's calorie burn based on the same workiout will always be different.

Based on my body's reaction to my workouts, I am losing at a great rate.

But then, I don't recall asking you to question the techinical device I use to assist me in my goals. So far, it's working well for ME. I've lost 17 lbs within 7-8 weeks, my body fat has dropped and so have my inches.

Thanks for your critical advise.

The only significant factors in determining calorie burn during exercise is absolute workload intensity and body mass. Everything else, including heart rate, is insignificant. Everyone wants to believe they are a special snowflake, but when it comes to exercise and calorie output, there is not that much meaningful variation.

The use of HRMs has seriously distorted this issue. The inherent inaccuracy of the HRM calorie-estimating model requires that HRMs include a number of mathematic tricks to try to improve the accuracy of their predictions--from god-awful to simply mediocre. So they require those arcane bits of data. But estimating calories for walking or running can be done with relatively simple, well-validated equations. All you need is speed, elevation, and weight.
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That's why I love my long run days! mmmmm beer! :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    one zumba class plus one 30 minute walk can give you 1k cals.

depending on how hilly and fast the walk is.

and depending on if you beleive the zumba cals.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Bikram (yoga in a 105 degree room) can burn a ton of calories in a 90 min sesh. I weigh 118 lbs and burn aprox. 950 cals per sesh. If you weigh more you burn more. Be warned this is not deep breathing yoga, this is cardio and strength yoga.

LOVE Bikram (and all types of yoga in general)! It makes me sweat like a *kitten* in church. Your profile pic is amazing! I'm not that good but hopefully one day.
    Bikram does not burn as much as you and many others think (myself included when i first began practicing). excessive sweating does not always correlate to calories burned.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    my question was to you...why do you feel the need to comment on your friend's calorie burn?

is this person losing weight? if so, then he's doing something right. If not, then he may need a little coaching.

I on the other hand am losing at a steady rate of 1.7-2.3 lbs a week so I know I'm doing something right.

Just curious...are you eating all the calories MFP gives you (which is set for your desired weight loss without exercise) PLUS the 1,000 calories that your HRM says you are burning? I am not trying to be argumentative...I am just curious.

And already answered that I don't comment on his burn as I am sure he knows it's bogus.
  • weird_me2
    Options

Bikram does not burn as much as you and many others think (myself included when i first began practicing). excessive sweating does not always correlate to calories burned.

And this is another example of where HRM can be wrong. Even if you wear a HRM during Bikram yoga, your calorie burns are going to be wrong because of the interval nature of the yoga as well as the added intensity of the heat will elevate your heart rate even if you aren't actually exerting any additional effort.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I see you got your information from a page that uses statistical information based on probably a limited amount of people. Not everyone's body type is the same, there's gender, muscle mass, body fat, height, age etc, etc....

Not everyone's heartbeat beats at the same pace either...if so my calorie burn and someone else's calorie burn based on the same workiout will always be different.

Based on my body's reaction to my workouts, I am losing at a great rate.

But then, I don't recall asking you to question the techinical device I use to assist me in my goals. So far, it's working well for ME. I've lost 17 lbs within 7-8 weeks, my body fat has dropped and so have my inches.

Thanks for your critical advise.

The only significant factors in determining calorie burn during exercise is absolute workload intensity and body mass. Everything else, including heart rate, is insignificant. Everyone wants to believe they are a special snowflake, but when it comes to exercise and calorie output, there is not that much meaningful variation.

The use of HRMs has seriously distorted this issue. The inherent inaccuracy of the HRM calorie-estimating model requires that HRMs include a number of mathematic tricks to try to improve the accuracy of their predictions--from god-awful to simply mediocre. So they require those arcane bits of data. But estimating calories for walking or running can be done with relatively simple, well-validated equations. All you need is speed, elevation, and weight.

How do I know how many calories I burn during a workout?
  • weird_me2
    Options

Just curious...are you eating all the calories MFP gives you (which is set for your desired weight loss without exercise) PLUS the 1,000 calories that your HRM says you are burning? I am not trying to be argumentative...I am just curious.

And already answered that I don't comment on his burn as I am sure he knows it's bogus.

I also asked that as well as what the MFP setting is as this will help determine if poster is actually burning 1000+ calories per work out. I've given up on a HRM. My heart rate stays elevated enough for my cardiovascular fitness and that's good enough for me. If you accurately measure your intake, it's not too hard to use the data over a long period of time to fairly accurately determine the output.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I ran 22 miles yesterday. Burned 1900 plus change. Argue with my Garmin.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I ran 22 miles yesterday. Burned 1900 plus change. Argue with my Garmin.

I won't argue, but I will sit here and be impressed! Awesome run!