People who are burning 1000+ calories a day

Options

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    How do I know how many calories I burn during a workout?

Without being a laboratory hooked to machines, there is no way to know for sure. Every calorie burn is an estimate. Some estimates, like those that incorporate heart rate data, can be more accurate. Sometimes, they aren't. It's all based on formulas.

We are all an experiment of 1. MFP gives you proven guidelines to help you lose, but sometimes we have to adjust based on our personal experiences.
  • MzChristyLove
    MzChristyLove Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i eat some not all. I try to leave at least a 500 deficit
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I ran 22 miles yesterday. Burned 1900 plus change. Argue with my Garmin.

Look how teeny you are. :) Only 1900 for 22 miles. Do you feel like you got robbed? :laugh:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

If I see a diary where someone's burning 1000 cals a day and consuming 2500, I'd be more inclined to believe the burn is truly that high. Haven't seen it yet.

Check out the "Long Distance Runners" group. Pretty much everyone there...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My half marathon I ran Monday only had me burning 1200 calories. I am a fairly petite girl, but I had to work hard for that calorie burn! I use my heart rate monitor that was calibrated by an exercise physiologist using my measured resting metabolic rate, my measured VO2max and my lactate threshold. I just don't see how someone doing a few miles or an hours worth of working out has that kind of calorie burn unless you are humongous!

220 lb x running 6.0 mph = 1000 cal/hr

That's a constant effort. Which is why, even if someone is even heavier, it is virtually impossible to burn 1000 calories in an hour of Zumba or any other exercise class.

Yeah, but 220 lb x running 5 mph treadmill at 5% incline = 1050 cal/hr. While I don't disagree that it's hard to burn 1000+ calories in an hour of Zumba or some other exercise class, I do think that it's easier to burn 1000+ calories for larger people than most people think.

Most exercise days, I post 800-1000+ burns (most days of the week). I eat a lot of those calories back. Going by my MFP net stats for the last 8 weeks, I should have lost 10 pounds. I've lost more than that, but since I know all of that isn't fat, by using the same bioelectrical impedance device under the same conditions, I've lost enough body fat % to equal 9.7 pounds of fat. I know these fat calculating devices aren't accurate, either, but I do recognize that they can be fairly accurate in tracking changes in body fat % when used under the same conditions repeatedly.

Yes, I use the level running speed because it's a simple reference point and something that the average person can relate to rather than saying "10 METs" . There are a number of speed/elevation combinations that would result in the same intensity.

Just to clarify, when I refer to 1000 calorie workout burns, I mean 1000 calories in a hour, not for the whole workout (which I realize is somewhat different from the thread title).

To further clarify, for me these are just fun academic discussions. There is absolutely no special value in being able to burn 1000 calories in a hour---it doesn't make one a better person, doesn't mean someone is "tougher" than someone else, or anything like that. It comes from the random intersection of mass and fitness level. It is only noteworthy because it represents a certain "sweet spot" of fitness and size that is somewhat uncommon--although certainly not rare.

The only other reason I bring it up is because the widespread use of HRMs for calorie estimates has totally distorted the facts on this subject and has led to many erroneous beliefs, as well as widespread acceptance of excessive calorie burns that aren't accurate.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

In addition to the deficit that is already built in? If you have MFP set to lose a pound a week, that's a 400 calorie a day deficit already built in.
  • splott2k
    splott2k Posts: 5
    Options
    weightlifting burns a ton of calories, and keeps your body burning calories long after.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options

In addition to the deficit that is already built in? If you have MFP set to lose a pound a week, that's a 400 calorie a day deficit already built in.

One of the reasons I do that is because every thread (okay, every OTHER thread) here says "You're eating more than you think." So I've tried to build in a tolerance level of 200-400 calories (depending on whether I ate out, etc.) to cushion the gap. So to speak.
  • MzChristyLove
    Options
    thanks. I have to force myself to eat though
  • MzChristyLove
    Options
    the thing is, i eat all day long...i snack on carrot chips, cucumber slices and etc...in addition eating my meals. I sometimes have to force myself to eat.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    So, in this thread, we've had:
    My half marathon I ran Monday only had me burning 1200 calories.

In both cases, a) GOOD SHOW! and b)close enough for government work:

13.1*90 = 1179

22*90 = 1980

To runners and walkers = multiply your distance * 90 (woman) or 110 (man). This equation works. Use it.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My half marathon I ran Monday only had me burning 1200 calories. I am a fairly petite girl, but I had to work hard for that calorie burn! I use my heart rate monitor that was calibrated by an exercise physiologist using my measured resting metabolic rate, my measured VO2max and my lactate threshold. I just don't see how someone doing a few miles or an hours worth of working out has that kind of calorie burn unless you are humongous!

220 lb x running 6.0 mph = 1000 cal/hr

That's a constant effort. Which is why, even if someone is even heavier, it is virtually impossible to burn 1000 calories in an hour of Zumba or any other exercise class.

Yeah, but 220 lb x running 5 mph treadmill at 5% incline = 1050 cal/hr. While I don't disagree that it's hard to burn 1000+ calories in an hour of Zumba or some other exercise class, I do think that it's easier to burn 1000+ calories for larger people than most people think.

Most exercise days, I post 800-1000+ burns (most days of the week). I eat a lot of those calories back. Going by my MFP net stats for the last 8 weeks, I should have lost 10 pounds. I've lost more than that, but since I know all of that isn't fat, by using the same bioelectrical impedance device under the same conditions, I've lost enough body fat % to equal 9.7 pounds of fat. I know these fat calculating devices aren't accurate, either, but I do recognize that they can be fairly accurate in tracking changes in body fat % when used under the same conditions repeatedly.

Yes, I use the level running speed because it's a simple reference point and something that the average person can relate to rather than saying "10 METs" . There are a number of speed/elevation combinations that would result in the same intensity.

Just to clarify, when I refer to 1000 calorie workout burns, I mean 1000 calories in a hour, not for the whole workout (which I realize is somewhat different from the thread title).

To further clarify, for me these are just fun academic discussions. There is absolutely no special value in being able to burn 1000 calories in a hour---it doesn't make one a better person, doesn't mean someone is "tougher" than someone else, or anything like that. It comes from the random intersection of mass and fitness level. It is only noteworthy because it represents a certain "sweet spot" of fitness and size that is somewhat uncommon--although certainly not rare.

The only other reason I bring it up is because the widespread use of HRMs for calorie estimates has totally distorted the facts on this subject and has led to many erroneous beliefs, as well as widespread acceptance of excessive calorie burns that aren't accurate.

I like the input that you provide and I also like fun academic discussions! I've been arguing both sides of this discussion because I am at that "sweet spot" so I know it's completely realistic for some people to have high burns, but I also know that it's also not always the case. People seem to take HRMs as the holy grail and are always saying MFP is wrong, but for things like walking and running, I've found it to be accurate, if not a little low. I hate people being told that they need a HRM and thinking they can't be successful without one. Even if you are doing something besides walking/running/biking which are more accurate, if you accurately track your intake, it only takes a few weeks to see if your activity logs are right or not.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

If I see a diary where someone's burning 1000 cals a day and consuming 2500, I'd be more inclined to believe the burn is truly that high. Haven't seen it yet.

My goal today is 3624 calories. Soon as I get my distance back up it can jump to over 5000 in a day. That's just for maintenance.
  • weird_me2
    Options
    So, in this thread, we've had:
    My half marathon I ran Monday only had me burning 1200 calories.

In both cases, a) GOOD SHOW! and b)close enough for government work:

13.1*90 = 1179

22*90 = 1980

To runners and walkers = multiply your distance * 90 (woman) or 110 (man). This equation works. Use it.

It works if you are a petite woman at or near goal weight. Otherwise, the METs required will be higher for taller, larger people and will also depend on the incline.
  • weird_me2
    Options

My goal today is 3624 calories. Soon as I get my distance back up it can jump to over 5000 in a day. That's just for maintenance.

You are my hero! The only reason I started trying to run is because it means burning more calories which means more food (or less time for the same amount of food)! My goal is usually around 3000 per day, but I mostly walk right now.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    In the winter, I do a Crossfit class then do yoga class and then swim for 45 minutes a couple times per week and I usually get over 1000 calories on those days. I also enjoy hiking and will burn 1000+calories on a day hike, even though it's low impact and lower heart rate activity.

Generally I maintain at 2500-2700 calories per day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I maintain at 2600. Well, 2600, plus sneaking all kinds of dumb stuff when I'm bored. So probably 3000 with a few hundred of which being calories I'm ashamed of. My diary reads like a grocery list most days.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I can definitely burn over 1000 calories in a Judo or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practice. But then I am wrestling large and well trained men (and some women) as hard as I can for over 2 hours.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Bikram (yoga in a 105 degree room) can burn a ton of calories in a 90 min sesh. I weigh 118 lbs and burn aprox. 950 cals per sesh. If you weigh more you burn more. Be warned this is not deep breathing yoga, this is cardio and strength yoga.

What's a sesh?
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I hike/swim a lot here in northern Nevada...I can burn 1000 calories without even trying, just getting to the top of Mount Rose.