Do you???

Options

Replies

• katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I would, just so you can see your macros for fiber and protein. Your choice whether you want to or not.
  • pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    I log them because I also track my fiber, vitamins and minerals. If I'm shy in any of the micronutrients, I adjust my diet accordingly or make sure I take a supplement.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I log everything except water, and really can't think of a reason why I wouldn't. For me, a big part of the point of logging is to have a record of exactly what I was doing when I was seeing a particular effect. If I have trouble in three months, I'll be able to look back at my food log and see what's changed. If I'm not including a bunch of information, there's no possible way that I'm going to remember the specifics of what I was doing and the whole thing is useless.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much of it I eat. If it's like, one strawberry I don't even bother but otherwise yes, I log them!
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options
    I log everything because I'm also watching my sodium

I was wondering how do you add the sodium in the food bar, i just have :

Calories/ Carbs /Fat /Protein

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

From your home page, hit "Settings" and then "Diary Settings" and you can add it.
  • JLauterb25
    JLauterb25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I log everything! Good, bad and ugly! It helps that I can see everything so I can make adjustments to my food as needed.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    I just log it all out of habit. Only thing I don't log is gum and crystal light the odd time I have it because they both clock in at like .. 5-10 calories. I can probably burn that with all the commenting I do on MFP.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Yes, I do. I'm a pescetarian, so 98% of what I eat are vegetables.

It's all about the discipline of logging, and being accurate, for me.

Plus, if you believe they're low cal, why not log? I do it to keep the count from creeping without my knowledge!

^^This! My caloric intake would be seriously skewed if I didn't log the veggies and fruits.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love looking back and seeing how my eating has evolved over time- from where AI once ate a half canister of Pringles 3 or 4 times a month- now I eat a couple pounds of fruit a week.
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I log everything......not only does it keep me honest with myself, it makes me realize just how many calories are in certain things.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Including water, I log everything. This is a life style change, I spent 50+ years practising increasingly POOR eating/ exercise habits. And it got me to 31BMI and around 60-70 pounds overweight. In August last year, nearing my 53rd birthday and struggling to carry laundry up the stairs, something finally clicked. It was time to really change. I took a hard hard look at what I'd done to get there and what I'd tried, what had failed.

The hard truth is, (and what most of the long term successful MFP'ers also practise) losing weight is hard work. Exercise won't do it, diet won't do it. You need both. And for those of us who are more than just a little overweight or clinically obese, all the research shows that strict counting (weighing, recording) of calories in and calories out (via heart rate monitoring) is the MOST effective way to teach oneself and completely shift lifestyle. Face it, for this to be a long term success, it requires long term (life long) changes. Anything else is just temporary and will lead to failure.

Weight Watchers works (at least initially) because of the monitoring of the calorie equation. They do it through an "easy to understand" point system. That's marketese for "you won't have to be responsible for learning anything about what your body needs, we'll do it for you and as a side benefit (for us) we'll create a dependence on our system (i.e. revenue stream) from you to us". Like any business, WW's primary objective is to make money off of its customers. Sure they want to help clients lose weight, but more than that, they want a piece of the enourmous get-skinny-without-having- to-work-hard-at- it-market in North America. And they want to create continuing business (client relationship).

I have no problem with people making money, but when it comes to being a part of this sector of the economy, I'm learning to be a much more savvy consumer. The book I cite below has a key question for everybody embarking in this fitness/weight loss industry: "you should assess every fitness claim - whether it is a new form of exercise or an amazing new product (raspberry ketones anybody?) after first asking yourself this question: does anyone benefit financially from creating the perseption that this works? If the answer is yes, adopt a healthy dose of skepticism."

I did the Weight Watchers thing years ago. Yes, in the short term for most of its clients, the point system works. But long term? What is it's independently assessed success rate? It's a rare customer in WW who learns about the NUTRITIONAL distribution of those calories in, and the most accurate methods to track calories out (not to mention the way you need to exercise to get the fat off). I lost 15 pounds, went off it (figuring I learned what I needed) then slowly gained it all back ..... and way way more.

So yes, track all consumption (even water) so you can also follow the nutritional distribution of those calories. You need to have a healthful distribution carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Not to mention fiber, and for us "older" women (NOT ME! :) tee-hee) CALCIUM. Sodium is another mineral one responder pointed out they track - me too.

And cheating? No room for that way of thinking for me anymore. Cheating implies there is something distasteful, unpleasant, undesierable, and ultimately, transient about the way one eats the other days of the week.

Having a decadent cupcake from Crave, wine, a hot Italian sausage is not cheating unless I choose to think of it that way. OF course if I eat that way too much of the time, I will not gain the health benefits of clean eating and hard workouts that form the foundation of my new way of caring for myself.

This rant brought to you by my continuing exploration of : "The Cure For Everything! Untangling the Twisted Messages About Health, Fitness and Happiness" by Timothy Caulfield, a professor int he Faculty of Law and the School of Public HYealth as well as research director of the Health Law and Science Policy Group at the University of Alberta.

RANT OVER
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes I log them. Some vegetables have quite a bit of calories. Besides my dinner would look sad just logged as brown rice and olive oil.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Including water, I log everything. This is a life style change, I spent 50+ years practising increasingly POOR eating/ exercise habits. And it got me to 31BMI and around 60-70 pounds overweight.

All the research shows that strict counting (weighing, recording) of calories in and calories out (via heart rate monitoring) is the MOST effective way to learn what each person need to do in the calories in/out equation to lose weight.

For profit set ups like Weight Watchers work (at least initially) because of the monitoring of the calorie equation. They do it through an "easy to understand" point system. That's marketese for "you won't have to be responsible for learning anything about what your body needs, we'll do it for you and as a side benefit (for us) we'll create a dependence on our system (i.e. revenue stream from you to us)".

I did the Weight Watchers thing years ago. Yes it is a method to monitor calories in/out but you really don't learn about the NUTRITIONAL distribution of those calories. I lost 15 pounds, went off it (figuring I learned what I needed, then slowly gained it all back ..... and way way more).

So yes, track all consumption (even water) so you can also follow the nutritional distribution of those calories. You need to have a healthful distribution carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Not to mention fiber, and for us "older" women (NOT ME! :) tee-hee) CALCIUM. Sodium is another mineral one responder pointed out they track - me too.

And cheating? No room for that way of thinking for me anymore. Cheating implies there is something distasteful, unpleasant, undesierable, and ultimately, transient about the way one eats the other days of the week.

Having a decadent cupcake from Crave, wine, a hot Italian sausage is not cheating unless I choose to think of it that way. OF course if I eat that way too much of the time, I will not gain the health benefits of clean eating and hard workouts that form the foundation of my new way of caring for myself.

This rant brought to you by my continuing exploration of : "The Cure For Everything! Untangling the Twisted Messages About Health, Fitness and Happiness" by Timothy Caulfield, a professor int he Faculty of Law and the School of Public HYealth as well as research director of the Health Law and Science Policy Group at the University of Alberta.

RANT OVER

BECAUSE OBV WE DESERVED TO GET YELLED AT FOR OUR STUPIDITY IN NOT TRACKING THAT GRAPE!
    I saw you eat it! You sneaked it!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that anyone who says you don't have to log your vegetables eats very few of them.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I just looked back at my diary, and fruits and veggies make up about 20-25% of my daily calories...so yes I log them, and I weigh almost all of them to get accurate numbers.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I agree *most* veggies are pretty low in calories, but fruit can add up quickly.

If you can achieve the results you want not logging them, then go for it. But I log mine.
  • IllianaIman
    IllianaIman Posts: 131
    Options

From your home page, hit "Settings" and then "Diary Settings" and you can add it.

Thank you so much!!!!:wink:
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    @ Yoovie. Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was yelling. I just feel so strongly about how we in North America are facing an uphill battle to be healthy. I've been learning so much in the last few months I want to shout it from the rooftops. Face it, over half of us, maybe me included, will lose weight then gain it all plus some back. I've never lost this much weight, so slowly in my life. The difference for me has been education. Perhaps I was an ignorant slut before, perhaps still am. :)

Doubly difficult for me is the fact that my husband who is very obese, wants to lose weight like he sees me doing, but hasn't fully commited to making it the result of life style change, not simply "gotta lose weight".

So, again sorry for ranting, yelling, etc.
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    Yes, I'm logging everything I eat - I find that I make better choices just knowing I'm going to be logging them.

As for fruit, I need to log it because I have a sweet tooth and could easily go over the recommended amount of sugar for the day.