There's no way I could ever eat 130g of protein

Options
I've been lifting 3x a week this month based on the NROLFW. I also bike 2x a week 10 miles on a fixed gear, so it takes a lot out of my legs. I'm also a vegetarian.

According to most sources, they claim that you should eat a gram of protein for every pound you weigh, which means I should be aiming for about 135g.

On a GOOD day I can hit 50, and that's if I drink a protein shake. On most days I'm anywhere between 25 - 30. Along with this, I need to make sure I'm eating a lot of fiber to keep myself regular. Oatmeal destroys my stomach and so does granola in large quantities, so I need to be sensitive to how I get my fiber.

So how the crap can I get the protein my muscles need to keep up with the demand, eat my fiber, and keep within 1600-1800 calories?

This is way too much to think about. Meeehh.

Replies

• aplusgeek
    aplusgeek Posts: 49
    Options
    I've been lifting 3x a week this month based on the NROLFW. I also bike 2x a week 10 miles on a fixed gear, so it takes a lot out of my legs. I'm also a vegetarian.

According to most sources, they claim that you should eat a gram of protein for every pound you weigh, which means I should be aiming for about 135g.

On a GOOD day I can hit 50, and that's if I drink a protein shake. On most days I'm anywhere between 25 - 30. Along with this, I need to make sure I'm eating a lot of fiber to keep myself regular. Oatmeal destroys my stomach and so does granola in large quantities, so I need to be sensitive to how I get my fiber.

So how the crap can I get the protein my muscles need to keep up with the demand, eat my fiber, and keep within 1600-1800 calories?

This is way too much to think about. Meeehh.

Are you vegetarian?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Most sources I've read say a gram of protein for every POUND OF LEAN body mass. If you're 130 and 30% body fat, ten you're not going to be eating 130grams. Does that make sense?

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/zonediet/a/zoneprotein.htm

I weigh 135 and am shooting for about 100 Grams a day.
  • shirsch52
    shirsch52 Posts: 19
    Options
    I had thought I read somewhere that it was recommended to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass... but I could be mistaken about that.. someone help me out! I try to eat 30% of my daily calories from protein. I don't eat tonnes of meat as it is just because I don't like it too much - but I'll eat it once a day for the protein benefit.

I recommend things like greek yogurt (I know some vegetarians that will eat yogurt and some that won't - depends on which group you're in) it's about 18g per 3/4 cup, chickpeas (I like to roast them with garam masala on them - they get super crunchy and are high in protein and fiber, very yummy snack). Not sure if you eat cottage cheese either? But that's high in protein. Quinoa of course is great for protein (and it's a complete protein at that). I like to make greek salad with quinoa in it, super yummy!

Good luck! Look forward to reading other responses too!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Protein bars
    Eggs
    Protein Shakes
    Greek Yogurt
    Nuts
    Chicken
    Steak
    Hamburgers
    Cottage Cheese
    Cheese

Do you not eat any of these ?
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I hit 90 every morning after entering in my food for the day.
    I eat cottage cheese and string cheese, a high protein cereal. High protein dinner. You can check it out if you like.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm a pesco vegetarian, and I eat 100+g protein a day eating 1,560 calories. My diary is open, so you can look at some of the stuff I eat, but dairy, eggs, and protein powder is how I get most of my protein.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm also a vegetarian and shooting for ~110g. I can't do it without protein shakes. :grumble:
    If you do dairy, whey is cheap and easy. If no dairy, you can look in to hemp, pea, soy or spirulina protein. All of which should be sold at any well-equipped nutrition or natural foods store.

It's also much easier on workout days when I eat 2000-2200 calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.

Vegetarians eat eggs.

And it is not that hard to get enough protein.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Protein bars
    Eggs
    Protein Shakes
    Greek Yogurt
    Nuts
    Chicken
    Steak
    Hamburgers
    Cottage Cheese
    Cheese

Turkey is another great source, Kefir, Fish, Beans, Legumes...........
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Put in 2 scoops of protien and some greek yogurt in your shake.. Theres like 75g's right there.
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    Protein bars
    Eggs
    Protein Shakes
    Greek Yogurt
    Nuts
    Chicken
    Steak
    Hamburgers
    Cottage Cheese
    Cheese

The OP said "I'm also a vegetarian." !
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I shoot for about 110 - 130 grams a day and do not have a problem hitting it, but do you eat meat? Protein shakes can help some, too...
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm also a vegetarian and i lift heavy. First, 130gs is more than you need. Folks are right about the "lean" body mass. I weigh 124 and shoot for 30% of my cals to come from protein. That's approx 100g protein if I'm eating 1200 cals. If I work out more, i eat more calories, i eat more protein.

I have done it and so can you:

Tempeh
    Tofurky Kielbasa <--this crap is ridiculously high in protein
    use quinoa instead of any other grain- lower cals per serving, higher protein per serving than brown rice
    PROTEIN SHAKES are a MUST for a vegetarian lifter
    Eggs (of course)

The big issue I have with high protein vegetarian eating is that you're pretty much eating tons of processed soy products. Tempeh and sprouted tofu are less processed and better for you. Protein shakes can also be whey.

and it's amazing but I find myself opting to eat cheese because it has that protein I need. It's been working.

Good luck to you!
    feel free to add me and look at my diary! I am not hitting my macros on the daily, but I am focusing on it again!

oh, and also NOTE: I'm slightly allergic to dairy so I don't eat dairy unless its in the form of cheese (cuz that doesn't bug me) and I'm going to start testing out whey protein shakes. I also am slightly allergic to gluten, so things like the tofurkey sausage are iffy for me. Feel free to add me!
  • maikune
    maikune Posts: 1
    Options
    Seems some people are confused about what vegetarism is. It means you don't eat meat, animal products such as milk, cheese and eggs are still consumed. VEGANS on the other hand avoid all animal products.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean cereal has 13 grams per serving. Stack that with some greek yogurt and you got about 35 grams for one meal. Also, eating peas (ok, granted it's alot) like a whole package is 20 grams. Lentils are a good source as well. Soy milk is ok, and then yes the protein shakes are good for that too.
    Uhhh, man it is hard to do without eating meat. But try starting with some of that
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Depending on classification or strictness you adhere to being a vegetarian will limit your options. I would check out the other vegetarian's diaries for tips.

The part that puzzles me is that 50g is hard. I'm not saying this in a negative way just trying to understand, because curently I double dose on my protein shakes. They are 48g of protein each and take them twice daily.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan and I will get almost 180g of protein today. I have no qualms with the protein powder I'll use for some of it (it's non-soy so I don't have to worry about additional soy products I may consume during the day). I am still getting well over 100g without supplementation.

The trick is to comparison shop. I pick every product for their relative protein content. Some tortillas have 2g of protein and some have 10g. If you're not a meat eater (or a big meat eater) you can make up a lot of "lost protein" by shopping around for all the other products that you eat!
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Everyone else has covered protein, so here are some fiber ideas:

--old-fashioned oatmeal (haven't read NROLFW, but I'm pretty sure this is on most weightlifters' meal plans)

--flaxseed/flaxseed meal -- add it to your oatmeal, salads, soups, protein shakes... you could do the same with chia seeds too, though those are more expensive

--beans! (not sure if these are included in NROLFW? But I'm imagining they probably are)

--quinoa, which is also relatively high-protein for a grain-like food (though it's technically a seed)

--low-glycemic fruits and veggies?! A salad and a couple cups of, say, cooked broccoli should get you almost halfway where you need to be for fiber... Getting 20-25 grams at the minimum shouldn't be too hard if you're hitting the recommended daily servings of produce.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Seitan. 31 grams of protein for 4 ounces. Only 118 calories. Toss it into every meal.