There's no way I could ever eat 130g of protein

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.

Vegetarians eat eggs.

And it is not that hard to get enough protein.
    .. thats sort of why i said to start eating eggs. and if that were true then there wouldnt be questions like these. DUHH

Its not hard with information - which is what she was asking for. A vegetarian diet is not too limited to get well balance macros. And did you even check if she was already eating eggs?

Who's the "DUHH' with now?
    still with you if you dont think omniverous eating has advantages over vegetarian eating for body composition..more complete proteins, more variations in fats, creatine, etc.. not saying you cant get lean and ripped while being a vegetarian or vegan but the road is tougher without a doubt.. only be a vegetarian for some sort of ethical reason not to lose weight.

I totally agree that it is tougher - not impossible, but tougher. Its probably the different definition of 'optimal' we are using that is causing the disagreement. Optimal to me does not necessarily mean easier.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Chicken, tuna, eggs, egg whites, dairy, and toss in some nutritional yeast and an occasional shake.

I can't have dairy, but I typically get between 180-200 grams most days.

When I was eating around 1600-1800 calories like you are, I still got a good 160-180.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Most sources I've read say a gram of protein for every POUND OF LEAN body mass. If you're 130 and 30% body fat, ten you're not going to be eating 130grams. Does that make sense?

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/zonediet/a/zoneprotein.htm

I weigh 135 and am shooting for about 100 Grams a day.

Thanks for this !
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.

Vegetarians eat eggs.

And it is not that hard to get enough protein.
    .. thats sort of why i said to start eating eggs. and if that were true then there wouldnt be questions like these. DUHH

Its not hard with information - which is what she was asking for. A vegetarian diet is not too limited to get well balance macros. And did you even check if she was already eating eggs?

Who's the "DUHH' with now?
    still with you if you dont think omniverous eating has advantages over vegetarian eating for body composition..more complete proteins, more variations in fats, creatine, etc.. not saying you cant get lean and ripped while being a vegetarian or vegan but the road is tougher without a doubt.. only be a vegetarian for some sort of ethical reason not to lose weight.

I totally agree that it is tougher - not impossible, but tougher. Its probably the different definition of 'optimal' we are using that is causing the disagreement. Optimal to me does not necessarily mean easier.
    k find me a vegetarian that eats as much saturated fat as an omnivore as well as eating the same amount of protein from complete protein sources... u find that vegetarian and then there is no more major advantage for the omnivore. on a consistant basis mind you.
  • stephensmith0929
    Options
    TOPIC: There's no way I could ever eat 130g of protein

Not with THAT attitude!!!!! :P
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and eat around 100g of protein per day. I use whey powder after my workouts. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, eggs, quinoa, nuts and beans
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I usually get my protein thanks to greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and milk, while still getting plenty of fiber through fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. You can totally hit 100+ g of protein that way, eating 30-50 grams per day might be a little low, especially if you're trying to build muscle.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Eh edit to delete my comment. I'm not in the mood to fight idiots who don't back their info with fact,
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    For an 1800 calorie diet, it's fine if you get around 50g of protein (10%-35% of calories from protein). Using the recommendation of .9g/kg, a 135lb person would need 55g or more.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yves Veggie Cuisine - Jumbo Hot Dogs - 15g protein each and only 90 calories. I eat them without the bun and just the toppings to save on calories. A jumbo bun can be 240 calories each!
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Funny all the comments about how being a vegetarian isn't good for body composition. Never mind that BS. Gotta hand it to you, riding a fixie. Oof. There are protein powders out there that are made with vegetarians in mind. I'm not a vegetarian, but I mix mine with water. I'm sure you'll figure something out. I got a chuckle out of the comments that suggested fish and burgers. Do you know a nutritionist who you can talk to?
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    With the right protein shakes, bars, snacks, you could easily hit that. I really love the Weight and Inches protein shakes, They are 200 calories but have 29 g protein each. Health Wise and Proti brands are really good and have some great things that have roughly 15g protein in each. You can do it! Skim milk also has a good source of protein (like 9g per cup) so use it in your protein shakes for added protein and vitamins.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan and I will get almost 180g of protein today. I have no qualms with the protein powder I'll use for some of it (it's non-soy so I don't have to worry about additional soy products I may consume during the day). I am still getting well over 100g without supplementation.

The trick is to comparison shop. I pick every product for their relative protein content. Some tortillas have 2g of protein and some have 10g. If you're not a meat eater (or a big meat eater) you can make up a lot of "lost protein" by shopping around for all the other products that you eat!

I *MUST* see your diary!!!!! I have no idea how a vegan can hit 180 g protein daily! Can we be friends so I can pour over your daily regimine???? My son is vegan. I am serious. I want to make sure he is eating well!

Me too! Would you make it public for a day or two so I can see what you're doing?? Like the OP, I can only reach my goal drinking protein shakes at least 2x a day.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with not eating enough protein. I eat way too many carbs. Today is really pitiful because I'm over on carbs already and not even close on protein. I think I am going to eat straight garbanzo beans or quinoa for dinner.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    It's possible to get your protein when you're vegan. To categorically denounce veganism because you don't get "good" sources of protein is irresponsible at best. We just have to work a little harder.

Edit: I didn't read the above post about hitting 180g. Good for you!
  • LeeMStephens
    Options
    I wont fault your life choices, but protein comes from meat (mostly). I do about 200-250 a day depending and without meat, I'd be SOL.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

This is not strictly a vegetarian problem. I'm an omnivore and my protein consumption is usually around 30-40g a day. Unless you're consuming a lot of protein powder or eating meat for every meal I'm not sure how it is possible to consume 100+ grams of protein and still stay within the calorie goals. And a diet that is 90% meat and protein powder is hardly balanced, either!
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting 3x a week this month based on the NROLFW. I also bike 2x a week 10 miles on a fixed gear, so it takes a lot out of my legs. I'm also a vegetarian.

According to most sources, they claim that you should eat a gram of protein for every pound you weigh, which means I should be aiming for about 135g.

On a GOOD day I can hit 50, and that's if I drink a protein shake. On most days I'm anywhere between 25 - 30. Along with this, I need to make sure I'm eating a lot of fiber to keep myself regular. Oatmeal destroys my stomach and so does granola in large quantities, so I need to be sensitive to how I get my fiber.

So how the crap can I get the protein my muscles need to keep up with the demand, eat my fiber, and keep within 1600-1800 calories?

This is way too much to think about. Meeehh.

beans and tofu
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Edamame is a great way to get protein and fiber esp. for vegetarians.

You can find individual bags at places like Sam's or Costco.
    They even come with a small packet of sea salt.

Just throw them in the microwave for about a minute and sprinkle a bit of sea salt - it's about 24g of protein per bag!
  • captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    as others have said, you'll find a way. If it helps at all, my goal is 200 grams. I do two 50g protein shakes every day, for snacks I have 2 atkins shakes - 15grams each .... that's 130g without eating anything. I eat between 6 - 10 eggs every day which is average 48g. Whatever I eat out at lunch when I'm at work usually takes me over my goal.
    The number does matter but timing it out is important, too.... you can't absorb all of your protein at one time and you'll only really put it to use if your body needs it for repair... so, whatever you take in is probably overkill anyway. Just work towards a constant supply and of course, develop a need for it with hard exercise or it won't do you much good to go high protein.

now ... if you're a strict vegetarian, you're gonna have to fill up on beans... a lot of'em.