There's no way I could ever eat 130g of protein

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.

Vegetarians eat eggs.

And it is not that hard to get enough protein.
    .. thats sort of why i said to start eating eggs. and if that were true then there wouldnt be questions like these. DUHH

Its not hard with information - which is what she was asking for. A vegetarian diet is not too limited to get well balance macros. And did you even check if she was already eating eggs?

Who's the "DUHH' with now?
    still with you if you dont think omniverous eating has advantages over vegetarian eating for body composition..more complete proteins, more variations in fats, creatine, etc.. not saying you cant get lean and ripped while being a vegetarian or vegan but the road is tougher without a doubt.. only be a vegetarian for some sort of ethical reason not to lose weight.

I totally agree that it is tougher - not impossible, but tougher. Its probably the different definition of 'optimal' we are using that is causing the disagreement. Optimal to me does not necessarily mean easier.
    k find me a vegetarian that eats as much saturated fat as an omnivore as well as eating the same amount of protein from complete protein sources... u find that vegetarian and then there is no more major advantage for the omnivore. on a consistant basis mind you.

Wait while I send out a survey to the whole world.

Do a search on vegetarian body builders - there are a lot. A lot of people are vegetarians for ethical reasons and not for health reasons. I doubt any are vegetarians for 'body composition reasons'.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    You'd basically have to change your entire diet to include high to reasonable protein in every meal:

Hemp Hearts/Powder
    Whey Protein powder (since you seem okay with eggs,dairy etc)
    Quinoa
    Lentils
    Black Beans
    Peanut/Almond Butter.
    Edamame (can buy them dried to snack on too)

Also, I saw a tuna salad sandwhich (here come the vegan police) on your diary soooo if you are open to fish (WHICH ARE DELICIOUS, ALL OF THEM SHOULD BE KILLED AND EATEN)

Tuna
    Salmon
    especially as sashimi, delicious and protein dense.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It is funny how almost no one here knows how to read properly. OP has stated she is a vegetarian so all those people suggesting chicken and all this other delicious stuff are not helping really...
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions. I saw Flaxseed already but let me point out it has a lot of fiber and protein.

Beans, specifically Black Beans are very tasty and have good quantities of fiber and protein.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    EDAMAME! I had some today and it's a fantastic source of both protein and fiber.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Wait... how do you tell what your LEAN body mass % is????
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.

Vegetarians eat eggs.

.. thats sort of why i said to start eating eggs. and if that were true then there wouldnt be questions like these. DUHH

Its not hard with information - which is what she was asking for. A vegetarian diet is not too limited to get well balance macros. And did you even check if she was already eating eggs?

still with you if you dont think omniverous eating has advantages over vegetarian eating for body composition..more complete proteins, more variations in fats, creatine, etc.. not saying you cant get lean and ripped while being a vegetarian or vegan but the road is tougher without a doubt.. only be a vegetarian for some sort of ethical reason not to lose weight.

I totally agree that it is tougher - not impossible, but tougher. Its probably the different definition of 'optimal' we are using that is causing the disagreement. Optimal to me does not necessarily mean easier.
    k find me a vegetarian that eats as much saturated fat as an omnivore as well as eating the same amount of protein from complete protein sources... u find that vegetarian and then there is no more major advantage for the omnivore. on a consistant basis mind you.

Do a search on vegetarian body builders - there are a lot. A lot of people are vegetarians for ethical reasons and not for health reasons. I doubt any are vegetarians for 'body composition reasons'.
    you really never heard of anyone who said they are trying to lose weight so they decide to be a vegetarian??? really?? ur like twice as old as i am and ive heard it like dozens of times.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I hit 99g everyday with no problem - you can do it you just need to find the right foods.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options

You find out your body fat% and whats not fat is considered LBM I believe.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

..................................................... :D

You take your body fat %.

You subtract that from 100%
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    It's possible to get your protein when you're vegan. To categorically denounce veganism because you don't get "good" sources of protein is irresponsible at best. We just have to work a little harder.

Edit: I didn't read the above post about hitting 180g. Good for you!
    proteins arent created equal. they have different amino acid profiles.
  • andrearae00
    andrearae00 Posts: 10
    Options
    I've been lifting 3x a week this month based on the NROLFW. I also bike 2x a week 10 miles on a fixed gear, so it takes a lot out of my legs. I'm also a vegetarian.

According to most sources, they claim that you should eat a gram of protein for every pound you weigh, which means I should be aiming for about 135g.

On a GOOD day I can hit 50, and that's if I drink a protein shake. On most days I'm anywhere between 25 - 30. Along with this, I need to make sure I'm eating a lot of fiber to keep myself regular. Oatmeal destroys my stomach and so does granola in large quantities, so I need to be sensitive to how I get my fiber.

So how the crap can I get the protein my muscles need to keep up with the demand, eat my fiber, and keep within 1600-1800 calories?

This is way too much to think about. Meeehh.

Im a vegetarian also, although I eat fsh on occassion. I seem to be hitting about 60-80gms of protien on adverage in the week sice I signed up to this site. I try to have some cheese, eggs, nuts, protien bars/ shakes, and soy fruit smoothies, and greek yogart I seem to be hitting close enough to my target as far as protien. I'm still working on hitting close to my calories for the day. Also fiber is found in apples, many vegetables. I find brussel sprouts do great at keeping the body regular. I eat a couple servinigs of those a week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There are various calculators (if you know your measurements, body fat etc). And there are estimators based on gender, age, weight etc. if you want to google one that you like.
    Again, what I understood was 1GRAM of protein for every POUND of LEAN BODY MASS.
  • mpizzle421
    mpizzle421 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Between noon and 4pm today I ate 12oz of chicken breasts...

Save a vegetable, eat a bird.

Word.
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Vegetarians eat eggs.

you really never heard of anyone who said they are trying to lose weight so they decide to be a vegetarian??? really?? ur like twice as old as i am and ive heard it like dozens of times.

Love it when people bring up peoples age.

Of course I have.

ETA: losing weight and body composition (which you brought up) do not necessarily go hand in hand.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I didn't read a lot of the responses (I should start doing that before replying... but mehhhh, shoot me if you wanna) but I wanted to comment for all the people saying to stop being vegetarian... I come from a culture where the vast majority are vegetarian, and more than half my family is too. It definitely is possible to get enough protien on a vegetarian diet!!

Beans, beans the magic of beans!! Protein and they give fibre as well. You can also eat tofu and soy based products- there are these things called Nutri nuggets (not to be confused with Nutru nuggets, which is a dog food)- I don't know where you can get them from because they somehow just always appear in my home.

PS. true vegetarians DO NOT eat eggs. Or seafood. Or marshmellows.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I didn't read a lot of the responses (I should start doing that before replying... but mehhhh, shoot me if you wanna) but I wanted to comment for all the people saying to stop being vegetarian... I come from a culture where the vast majority are vegetarian, and more than half my family is too. It definitely is possible to get enough protien on a vegetarian diet!!

Beans, beans the magic of beans!! Protein and they give fibre as well. You can also eat tofu and soy based products- there are these things called Nutri nuggets (not to be confused with Nutru nuggets, which is a dog food)- I don't know where you can get them from because they somehow just always appear in my home.

PS. true vegetarians DO NOT eat eggs. Or seafood. Or marshmellows.

Definition from the Vegetarian Society:

The Vegetarian Society defines a vegetarian as: "Someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with, or without, the use of dairy products and eggs. A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish* or by-products of slaughter."

Definition from the Oxford Dictionary:

"a person who does not eat meat, and sometimes other animal products, especially for moral, religious, or health reasons."
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I'm glad I eat meat :-)
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Put in 2 scoops of protien and some greek yogurt in your shake.. Theres like 75g's right there.

problem there is the body can't digest more than 25-30 g of protein at a time, so the rest would go to waste