There's no way I could ever eat 130g of protein

Options

Replies

• majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I mix vanilla protein powder into fat-free cottage cheese. I can get 50 pretty easily that way.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Put in 2 scoops of protien and some greek yogurt in your shake.. Theres like 75g's right there.

problem there is the body can't digest more than 25-30 g of protein at a time, so the rest would go to waste

I've heard this many times, and I've also heard it's a myth. Do you have any justification or sources for this? Not being snarky, legitimately wondering about the truth for this rule. :smile:
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    bump for later - this is a really informative and helpful thread - thanks for asking the question, OP! :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Put in 2 scoops of protien and some greek yogurt in your shake.. Theres like 75g's right there.

problem there is the body can't digest more than 25-30 g of protein at a time, so the rest would go to waste

MYTH

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

As quoted:

5. Myth: Maintain a steady supply of amino acids by eating protein every 2-3 hours. The body can only absorb 30 grams of protein in one sitting.

Truth

Whenever you hear something really crazy you need to ask yourself if it makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's a great way to quickly determine if something may be valid or if it's more likely a steaming pile of horse****. This myth is a great example of the latter. Do you think we would be here today if our bodies could only make use of 30 grams of protein per meal?

The simple truth is that more protein just takes a longer time to digest and be utilized. For some concrete numbers, digestion of a standard meal is still incomplete after five hours. Amino acids are still being released into your bloodstream and absorbed into muscles. You are still "anabolic." This is a fairly standard "Average Joe"-meal: 600 kcal, 75 g carbs, 37 g protein and 17 g fat. Best of all? This was after eating pizza, a refined food that should be quickly absorbed relatively speaking.

Think about this for a second. How long do you think a big steak, with double the protein intake of the above example, and a big pile of veggies would last you? More than 10 hours, that's for sure. Meal composition plays an important role in absorption speed, especially when it comes to amino acids. Type of protein, fiber, carbohydrates and prior meals eaten all affect how long you'll have amino acids released and being taken up by tissues after meals.

Origin

I think this "30 grams of protein"-nonsense started to circulate after a classic study from 1997 by Boirie and colleagues. "Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion" was the first study to quantify the absorption rate of whey and casein protein and gave birth to the concept of fast and slow protein. After that, whey protein came to be known for it's ability to rapidly elevate amino acids in the blood stream and casein for it's ability to create a sustained release of amino acids. Whey was anabolic and casein anti-catabolic.

Given that 30 grams of whey protein was absorbed within 3-4 hours, I guess some people believed that meant 30 grams of protein can only be used in one sitting. Or that you had to eat every 3-4 hours to stay "anabolic." Unfortunately, people missed a few facts that made these findings irrelevant to real-world scenarios. First of all, this study looked at the absorption rate of whey protein in the fasted state. On it's own, and with no meals eaten beforehand, 30 grams of whey protein is absorbed within a mere 3-4 hours. With meals eaten earlier in the day, or if you'd consume a whey shake after a meal, absorption would be much slower.

Second of all, whey protein is the fastest protein of all and digests at 10 g/hour. Casein is much slower; in Boirie's study, the casein protein was still being absorbed when they stopped the experiment 7 hours later. Most whole food proteins are absorbed at a rate of 3-6 grams an hour. Add other macronutrients to that and they'll take longer.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options

I've heard this many times, and I've also heard it's a myth. Do you have any justification or sources for this? Not being snarky, legitimately wondering about the truth for this rule. :smile:

I suppose I was falling into the myth. I hadn't heard otherwise, truth be told.

from further reading, I do see that it is speculated to be based on body composition. in other words, I'm wrong, but no one seems to know what is right
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegan, or just veg? Try looking into eggs, whey protein shakes, Greek yogurt and that kinda stuff.
  • kealambert
    Options

MYTH

As quoted:

5. Myth: Maintain a steady supply of amino acids by eating protein every 2-3 hours. The body can only absorb 30 grams of protein in one sitting.

Truth

Whenever you hear something really crazy you need to ask yourself if it makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's a great way to quickly determine if something may be valid or if it's more likely a steaming pile of horse****. This myth is a great example of the latter. Do you think we would be here today if our bodies could only make use of 30 grams of protein per meal?

The simple truth is that more protein just takes a longer time to digest and be utilized. For some concrete numbers, digestion of a standard meal is still incomplete after five hours. Amino acids are still being released into your bloodstream and absorbed into muscles. You are still "anabolic." This is a fairly standard "Average Joe"-meal: 600 kcal, 75 g carbs, 37 g protein and 17 g fat. Best of all? This was after eating pizza, a refined food that should be quickly absorbed relatively speaking.

Think about this for a second. How long do you think a big steak, with double the protein intake of the above example, and a big pile of veggies would last you? More than 10 hours, that's for sure. Meal composition plays an important role in absorption speed, especially when it comes to amino acids. Type of protein, fiber, carbohydrates and prior meals eaten all affect how long you'll have amino acids released and being taken up by tissues after meals.

Origin

I think this "30 grams of protein"-nonsense started to circulate after a classic study from 1997 by Boirie and colleagues. "Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion" was the first study to quantify the absorption rate of whey and casein protein and gave birth to the concept of fast and slow protein. After that, whey protein came to be known for it's ability to rapidly elevate amino acids in the blood stream and casein for it's ability to create a sustained release of amino acids. Whey was anabolic and casein anti-catabolic.

Given that 30 grams of whey protein was absorbed within 3-4 hours, I guess some people believed that meant 30 grams of protein can only be used in one sitting. Or that you had to eat every 3-4 hours to stay "anabolic." Unfortunately, people missed a few facts that made these findings irrelevant to real-world scenarios. First of all, this study looked at the absorption rate of whey protein in the fasted state. On it's own, and with no meals eaten beforehand, 30 grams of whey protein is absorbed within a mere 3-4 hours. With meals eaten earlier in the day, or if you'd consume a whey shake after a meal, absorption would be much slower.

Second of all, whey protein is the fastest protein of all and digests at 10 g/hour. Casein is much slower; in Boirie's study, the casein protein was still being absorbed when they stopped the experiment 7 hours later. Most whole food proteins are absorbed at a rate of 3-6 grams an hour. Add other macronutrients to that and they'll take longer.

thank you
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

MYTH

As quoted:
    (Quote shortened to save space)

Great Explanation. Thanks!
  • MontagneGitane
    MontagneGitane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    BUMP for ideas :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. it's really not that hard.

I recently also started incorporating lentils into my diet. 80 cal, 10g protein and 11g fiber for 1/4 cup.

Oatmeal/granola are not even great sources of fiber. veggies are.
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    There have been a lot of posts on here since i've come back, so I'll explain my thought process more.

I'm not a big fan of eggs, but I'll eat them. I cannot afford protein powders. I get a protein powder pack once a month that I hold onto for days that riding my fixie to work and back really destroys me. For those that dont know, this means I'm in one gear constantly, and will always be pedaling.

I dont eat hamburgers. turkey. or anything that generally comes from an animal. thus why I am a vegetarian. good thing we cleared that up.

however. you will catch me eating fish on occasion, hence the tuna salad sandwich and sushi. yum. i cannot afford to buy it though and it's a treat for when other people are well, treating.

i don't like to eat cheese either. it binds me up and my body is really sensitive to dairy, so i generally stick to soy or almond milk and otherwise skip the cheese.

i also dont like fake meat products. i prefer to eat as natural to the food itself as possible. on drunken nights you'll find me having consumed pizza, french fries, and the likes, but that's the worst of my damage. my junk food is granola and nuts.
  • kealambert
    Options
    . I cannot afford protein powders. I get a protein powder pack once a month that I hold onto for days that riding my fixie to work and back really destroys me. For those that dont know, this means I'm in one gear constantly, and will always be pedaling.

however. you will catch me eating fish on occasion, hence the tuna salad sandwich and sushi. yum. i cannot afford to buy it though and it's a treat for when other people are well, treating.

if you are near a walmart, they have a very affordable protein shake that is pretty decent...it's only 15 bucks,and it lasts the better part of a month, if not longer.

as for tuna, chunk light store-brand tuna is anywhere from 60-80 cents a can, so it's about as affordable a food you can find. consider getting more of that in your diet, it can be really easy on your budget
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.

Vegetarians eat eggs.

And it is not that hard to get enough protein.
    .. thats sort of why i said to start eating eggs. and if that were true then there wouldnt be questions like these. DUHH

Its not hard with information - which is what she was asking for. A vegetarian diet is not too limited to get well balance macros. And did you even check if she was already eating eggs?

Who's the "DUHH' with now?
    still with you if you dont think omniverous eating has advantages over vegetarian eating for body composition..more complete proteins, more variations in fats, creatine, etc.. not saying you cant get lean and ripped while being a vegetarian or vegan but the road is tougher without a doubt.. only be a vegetarian for some sort of ethical reason not to lose weight.

I totally agree that it is tougher - not impossible, but tougher. Its probably the different definition of 'optimal' we are using that is causing the disagreement. Optimal to me does not necessarily mean easier.
    k find me a vegetarian that eats as much saturated fat as an omnivore as well as eating the same amount of protein from complete protein sources... u find that vegetarian and then there is no more major advantage for the omnivore. on a consistant basis mind you.

Wait while I send out a survey to the whole world.

Do a search on vegetarian body builders - there are a lot. A lot of people are vegetarians for ethical reasons and not for health reasons. I doubt any are vegetarians for 'body composition reasons'.
    you really never heard of anyone who said they are trying to lose weight so they decide to be a vegetarian??? really?? ur like twice as old as i am and ive heard it like dozens of times.

Love it when people bring up peoples age.

Of course I have.

ETA: losing weight and body composition (which you brought up) do not necessarily go hand in hand.
    ur kidding right? so the goal is to lose muscle weight now?
  • wmhjonesiv
    wmhjonesiv Posts: 9
    Options
    If your a vegetarian, I would recommend that you try Pea Protien manufactured by NOW Sports. It packs 28g of protien per scoop! It would definately help you achieve your protien intake goal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    this is why being vegetarian is not optimal for body composition.. too limited on foods for well balanced macros. start eatin some eggs gurl.

Vegetarians eat eggs.

.. thats sort of why i said to start eating eggs. and if that were true then there wouldnt be questions like these. DUHH

Its not hard with information - which is what she was asking for. A vegetarian diet is not too limited to get well balance macros. And did you even check if she was already eating eggs?

still with you if you dont think omniverous eating has advantages over vegetarian eating for body composition..more complete proteins, more variations in fats, creatine, etc.. not saying you cant get lean and ripped while being a vegetarian or vegan but the road is tougher without a doubt.. only be a vegetarian for some sort of ethical reason not to lose weight.

I totally agree that it is tougher - not impossible, but tougher. Its probably the different definition of 'optimal' we are using that is causing the disagreement. Optimal to me does not necessarily mean easier.
    k find me a vegetarian that eats as much saturated fat as an omnivore as well as eating the same amount of protein from complete protein sources... u find that vegetarian and then there is no more major advantage for the omnivore. on a consistant basis mind you.

Do a search on vegetarian body builders - there are a lot. A lot of people are vegetarians for ethical reasons and not for health reasons. I doubt any are vegetarians for 'body composition reasons'.
    you really never heard of anyone who said they are trying to lose weight so they decide to be a vegetarian??? really?? ur like twice as old as i am and ive heard it like dozens of times.

Of course I have.

ETA: losing weight and body composition (which you brought up) do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Reread the damn posts - and my responses.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I cannot afford protein powders. I get a protein powder pack once a month that I hold onto for days that riding my fixie to work and back really destroys me.

in my experience, protein powders are much cheaper than meals cost, typically. for example, genisoy vanilla protein shake (which i drink constantly) is on amazon for $27 for a 2-pack, and that would be approx 36 servings, so 75 cents a serving.
    are your meals less expensive than that?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

Vegetarians eat eggs.

Of course I have.

Reread the damn posts - and my responses.
    ur not making much sense.. " I doubt any are vegetarians for 'body composition reasons'." which contradicts information when you say "of course I have" to me asking if you have heard of someone losing weight to go vegetarian and not because of ethical or moral reasons.

i have nothing against vegetarian dieting, just the impression that people get that becoming vegetarian that they will lose more weight than if they ate meat. if anything its the other way around.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ur not making much sense.. " I doubt any are vegetarians for 'body composition reasons'." which contradicts information when you say "of course I have" to me asking if you have heard of someone losing weight to go vegetarian and not because of ethical or moral reasons.

i have nothing against vegetarian dieting, just the impression that people get that becoming vegetarian that they will lose more weight than if they ate meat. if anything its the other way around.

Taking the rest quotes off as this is getting a bit long.

I actually think we have ended up talking at cross purposes and you have mis-understood what I was trying to say. On this point I actually think we agree (shocker I know!)

My point about losing weight =/= body composition was making reference to the fact when people say they are a vegetarian to lose weigh does not mean they are doing it for body composition purposes. In other words: Some folks are vegetarians for ethical (including religious) reasons and will do the best they can to get the appropriate nutrition based on their goals. Some folks are vegetarians for health reasons (other than losing weight. Some people are vegetarians because they think it easier to lose weight. But I have never heard someone become a vegetarian to change their body composition.

BTW: apologies if I have mis-spoke for some vegetarians here - its just my personal experience I am noting here.
  • karmah2771
    karmah2771 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just added 1 tablespoon of brewer's yeast flakes to my fruit and greek yogurt. That single tablespoon had 8 grams of protein. I also add it into other things. I think some people substitute it for parmesan cheese on their pasta and also sprinkle it on popcorn or add it to a shake.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I just added 1 tablespoon of brewer's yeast flakes to my fruit and greek yogurt. That single tablespoon had 8 grams of protein. I also add it into other things. I think some people substitute it for parmesan cheese on their pasta and also sprinkle it on popcorn or add it to a shake.

I have never tried that - what does it taste like?