Runners: what (if any) form of ID do you carry with you?

Options

Replies

• TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    iphone and keys - but im gonna look into this Road ID thing
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Road ID. period.

I recently had a friend get seriously injured while rock climbing. His ICE contact in his phone was useless, as the phone was dead. I then asked a friend that is an EMT, and she said in the two years on the job, she's NEVER used an ICE contact in a phone. Her G/F, who is a cop, has a few times, but not often. She said they look for wallets and bracelets to start.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I usually have my driver's license and a key on me...if I'm running around my neighborhood, my front door key, and if I'm running at my favorite trails in the middle of the city, my car key. I wear shorts or leggings that have a pocket in them so I can fit those and that's about it!
  • kamorgozo
    kamorgozo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Road ID bracelet.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    None. Just an apartment key.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    huh. This is why MFP is awesome. It has literally never occurred to me to carry ID and I didn't know RoadID existed until I read this thread. Thanks guys!
    This exactly!
    I just started c25k and use my phone. But other than that,Ihaven't carried anything.

What is more recommended, theankle or wrist one?

From the mouth of a Paramedic - The wrist!
    thanks!

This! Yeah thanks, never occured to me.
  • shesapear
    shesapear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    huh. This is why MFP is awesome. It has literally never occurred to me to carry ID and I didn't know RoadID existed until I read this thread. Thanks guys!

This!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I always have my phone with me, and recently started carrying my expired driver's license in whatever pouch or pack I'm wearing.
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    Awesome thread!

What about keys? Any way to keep a house key on you without it feeling like an obnoxious burden and/or being totally obvious (i.e., a fanny pack)? I'd really like to start running, but can't fathom doing it without having my key and IDs.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    RoadID with my home and husband's cell number on it.

If some @sshat hits me, I won't be able to use my cell phone to call for help if I'm knocked out....
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    bump
    (because of the road iD coupon code!)
  • ssanto
    ssanto Posts: 53
    Options
    definitely looking into a road id.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread!

What about keys? Any way to keep a house key on you without it feeling like an obnoxious burden and/or being totally obvious (i.e., a fanny pack)? I'd really like to start running, but can't fathom doing it without having my key and IDs.

I have a house key on a carabiner clip that I can attach to the drawstring on my shorts, my bra strap, my mp3 armband, etc. Some also lace it into their shoe.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    too cheap for a roadID so far, but my pants have a nice little id pocket that I carry my CC, ID and insurance card just incase. I also run with a small wooden kubaton. When I go out during school hours I also carry my phone incase the nurse calls about one of my kids. Seems that's always the opportune time for them to get sick.
  • lizo11
    lizo11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Road ID. I have the bracelet version, that I wear all the time, whether I am running, walking, biking, out with the dog, and life in general.
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Well, as a walker I have thought of this exact scenario...if something happens when I'm out, then what?

I usually take a lunch break walk down the bike/walk path near by and I tend to grab my work ID before I go. It's the placard type you wear on your neck.

Question about cell phones though, is there a way for cops/paramedics to unlock your phone if you have it password protected?
  • akvreeland
    akvreeland Posts: 27
    Options
    Road ID...never leave home without it!
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    too cheap for a roadID so far, but my pants have a nice little id pocket that I carry my CC, ID and insurance card just incase. I also run with a small wooden kubaton. When I go out during school hours I also carry my phone incase the nurse calls about one of my kids. Seems that's always the opportune time for them to get sick.

Its like 15 bucks??!!! Seems to me small price to pay for a quick way to convey info to a responder....
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    I track all my runs on my iPhone, so there's my ID.

Not sure how this will help responders when you phone is crushed by the car that just hit you too?