Runners: what (if any) form of ID do you carry with you?

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Cyclist here, but the same applies to a runner. My cycle shorts have a small zip-pocket. I put the following things in a plastic sandwich baggie and have them in my cycle shorts or in the "trunk" of my bike (small bag that clips to the seat and contains a spare tube and full repair kit):

- Driver's license
    - Piece of paper with my wife's name and phone number written on it, marked IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
    - Credit card
    - $20 bill
    - Insurance ID card
    - Red Cross donor card (I have a rare blood type)

If my wife won't be home, I'll take the house key off my keyring and slide it into the baggie.

The whole thing packs really flat, and ensures that I always have a way to get home if needed and a way for others to help me if the need should arise.
  • jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options
    Well, I have just been carrying my phone, but I am re-thinking that...
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    too cheap for a roadID so far, but my pants have a nice little id pocket that I carry my CC, ID and insurance card just incase. I also run with a small wooden kubaton. When I go out during school hours I also carry my phone incase the nurse calls about one of my kids. Seems that's always the opportune time for them to get sick.

They aren't that expensive....cheaper than your monthly cell service :wink:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Alright, it occurs to me for those wearing roadid's on their shoes, has anyone ever looked at the statistics (if there are any) for pedestrians being struck by cars, and what percentage of them lose their shoes as they are tossed literally 30' in either direction? I know it sounds whacky, but I would not wear my id on something that can slip off in a traumatic impact. I would prefer to have it around my wrist.... but that's JMO...
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    They aren't that expensive....cheaper than your monthly cell service :wink:

I'm still too cheap. ;)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the two folks who posted discount codes for RoadID! I'd been debating about getting one and will go order now.
    Also, thanks to the EMT poster who suggested bracelet is better than anklet. I was originally thinking of going with one of the anklets because it's race chip compatible but that doesn't matter much anyway since I keep time with my HRM.

Currently I bring my driver's license and cell phone with me (with Hubs and Mom listed as ICE contacts). Need to also get an arm band for my cell phone since my summer running shorts don't have pockets. Was going to get one with a pocket to hold my ID but with the roadID bracelet, I won't need it. Yay!
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Alright, it occurs to me for those wearing roadid's on their shoes, has anyone ever looked at the statistics (if there are any) for pedestrians being struck by cars, and what percentage of them lose their shoes as they are tossed literally 30' in either direction? I know it sounds whacky, but I would not wear my id on something that can slip off in a traumatic impact. I would prefer to have it around my wrist.... but that's JMO...

My RoadID goes around my wrist....
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    if im running its from the cops and i dont want the to know whom I am
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    Awesome thread!

What about keys? Any way to keep a house key on you without it feeling like an obnoxious burden and/or being totally obvious (i.e., a fanny pack)? I'd really like to start running, but can't fathom doing it without having my key and IDs.

I have a house key on a carabiner clip that I can attach to the drawstring on my shorts, my bra strap, my mp3 armband, etc. Some also lace it into their shoe.

Thank you!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have a Road ID bracelet but the info is no longer current (and I'm not even sure where it is...?). I don't like to carry anything. I usually run with a friend though so I guess she can identify the body.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I have IMapMyRun downloaded onto my phone and paid for the upgrade for live feed. So I run with my phone (funny, my phone doesn't even call me by name, it calls me "yes master") with my favorites populated and my DH can track me live on IMapMyRun.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Some points from someone who grew up in a family of first responders.

Always have ID on you. They are going to look for the normal forms of ID first. They may or may not think to check your phone. They might not have time to check your phone. Your phone may or may not work due to whatever reason.

Make sure if you use something like Road ID that it is easy to find. Don't hide it under a bunch of clothing. Bracelets are easier to find because of medical alert bracelets. First responders will look there first, then a necklace.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I like to get my workout started before the sun comes up too! The club I belong to recommends Road ID (roadid.com) - they have wrist, shoe, and ankle versionsto suit the individual runner.
  • Bradleyjah
    Bradleyjah Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This has been a super helpful thread. I usually just run with my GPS and have moronically assume that someone would eventually figure out it's me. I'm definitely going to have to get a Road ID. Question for those with RoadIDs: Any preference between the "Sport" and the "Slim" versions? I hate carrying almost anything when running and was thinking that I'm more likely to wear the Slim version.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Phone with Business Card and Reward If Found, Just Updated with ICE information-Thanks
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    RoadID. I went with the "Interactive" version so I can always update info as it changes (health insurance, moving, etc) without having to worry about ordering a new plate.

My ex breathed a huge sigh of relief when I got it in. It turned out that she'd stress all the time about something happening to me out there and me being some John Doe in the hospital.

Plus it's ridiculously inexpensive for the peace of mind it brings.
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Question for those with RoadIDs: Any preference between the "Sport" and the "Slim" versions? I hate carrying almost anything when running and was thinking that I'm more likely to wear the Slim version.

I went with the velcro one for my ankle. I use a specific pair of shoes that are only for running. So, to make sure that I never forget it, I just attach the RoadID to the shoes when I get back from a run.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Another vote for roadID. it's who you are :)

Ditto
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a RoadID for my 14yo daughter, who rides her bike a lot during the summer when school's out. The only other ID she has is her school ID and that doesn't have any emergency contact info on it.
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I run outside with a roadid. Best present I could ever give myself.