Runners: what (if any) form of ID do you carry with you?

Options

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Since I last posted in this thread (exactly one year ago today!) i bought my Road ID bracelet and wear it every time I run or go out walking. I recently bought one for a friend for her b-day - she loved it!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have a Road ID shoe tag.
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My iphone is in a wallet type thing with my ID and some cash, I just tuck it all in between my sports bra and the crop top I wear over it (then there is a singlet and shirt over that) It never even moves so pretty safe to say it isn't going anywhere and is pretty obvious as well.

I had never heard of a roadID though so off to research that for hubby!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have my phone on me since I use it for music, but it is locked so nobody would be able to get into it anyways....

I don't bring ID's on runs.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    Wow, I've never really thought about this. I don't run with a phone or ID. Guess it would be a smart move to get a Road ID! Thanks for the thread OP.
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Road ID on my shoe....I almost always have it on...unless in dress shoes.
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Make sure your road ID is very viewable. I had a friend who had an id in his shoe. He had a heart attack while running. It too the EMT's a while to figure out the id was IN the shoe. Couple hours before family knew, they were looking for him. Sadly, he did not recover.
  • Agent575
    Agent575 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    huh. This is why MFP is awesome. It has literally never occurred to me to carry ID and I didn't know RoadID existed until I read this thread. Thanks guys!
    This exactly!
    I just started c25k and use my phone. But other than that,Ihaven't carried anything.

What is more recommended, theankle or wrist one?

From the mouth of a Paramedic - The wrist!

I too had never even thought about it...just ordered my wrist RoadID. Thanks!
  • pangepange
    pangepange Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I carry a water bottle with a pocket that holds my health card and pocket change. I had never heard of this road ID, but thinking about it, having something that attaches to your shoe would be excellent - always with you and impossible to forget. (Sometimes I forget my water bottle on short runs, and I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally lose it at some point.)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Going forward .. only my D/L and a single car key. I hate having tons of extra stuff with me.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Bump. Helpful info.
  • zaellany
    zaellany Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    PLEASE carry some form of ID with you. My friend is a cyclist and got clipped by a car about four years ago, and thrown into a ditch. VERY thankfully, another car saw the accident and stopped to help him. The accident ended up nearly breaking his jaw and the paramedics wouldn't let him try to talk; his right arm was pretty messed up also, so he couldn't write anything down. He had NO ID, phone, emergency contact info on him at all. He was in the hospital for three hours before someone recognized him and called his girlfriend (who just happen to work at the same hospital in labor and delivery). Thankfully, my friend ended up okay, but it was very frightening. My friend now has three Road IDs so he has one with him wherever he goes. Also, I know some folks will disagree with this, but - when you go out, leave a note or send a text to someone saying you're going out and when they should expect you back, even if that's days away. My friend had a habit of taking off on his bike without telling anyone - sometimes he would take camping stuff and be gone for a week, and we'd have no idea. We honestly would not have missed him for probably at least a day, if not longer. If he had been taken to a different hospital and his injuries had been worse, it would have been a very bad scene.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just take my key. Getting hurt or killed while out on my walk isn't something I think about or plan for.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Road ID - I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. :laugh:

Seriously though. ID is important. I've had health problems in the past that could cause a problem again at any time. I don't need to get hit by a car to have a bad time on a run, I'd just need my health problems to crop up. The Road ID lets me list my health issues so that the paramedics would be able to nail it down faster as well.

I know there are also a lot of people here who don't like carrying phones either. My friend is a very experienced runner who has completed a ton of marathons. He was out on a short run, and his foot landed wrong. He sprained his ankle really badly, and had to limp a few miles back home because he didn't have a phone on him. I keep my phone on silent and never even check it when I'm running, but if I sprained my ankle or something I sure would want someone to come pick me up.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If I run near home, I just carry my home key.

If I run farther from home, I usually carry in my pocket (which has a zipper) my driver's licence, a credit card, and a twenty dollar bill. I will also carry my gym membership card (my usual route is starts and ends at my gym, where I can stuff all my belongings in the locker) or hotel fob (if I'm traveling).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I carry a water bottle with a pocket that holds my health card and pocket change. I had never heard of this road ID, but thinking about it, having something that attaches to your shoe would be excellent - always with you and impossible to forget. (Sometimes I forget my water bottle on short runs, and I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally lose it at some point.)
    The drawback of the shoe is as a paramedic said in a previous post, the wrist is generally where a first responder will check.

Plus, often in an accident involving a car, shoes go flying, and your ID would be gone with them.

Just stuff to think about. Road ID is an awesome company though - check 'em out. :smile:

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have a SPI Belt - it's like an unobtrusive little pouch that I use to store my bank card, driver's license, and car key. It would probably fit my phone as well, even though it's a bit too big to carry around for my liking.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Road ID - on my shoes (I run out of two pairs of shoes, so I have two of them)

Don't leave home without it!

http://www.roadid.com/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID#3

^THIS
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I usually don't take ID, but I have in the past when I was living in another city; I usually just put my drivers license in my sports bra. Easy peasy. And normally I'd put a key either tied into my shoe laces or in the little key pocket that a lot of running shorts have.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    AHH.. I have been running with NOTHING... except a key looped on a hair band - used as a bracelet... and my iphone with the gps on it.. my father and fiance freak out on me especially when they find out i'm running sometimes at dawn with two tiny reflector/high visibility bracelets on in all black.. i know i know.. not safe.

perfect birthday gift to ask for that's coming up this month!

If you are running pre-dawn you may also consider a head lamp. Yes, it is totally dorky, but I don't care. I can see pot holes and cars can see me.