Telling people or not.

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Im not keeping it a secret, but I'm mot making a fuss about it either. And lately, people are noticing anyway!
  • js25698
    js25698 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I only told my wife since she does most of the cooking and I want to eat healthier with smaller portions. I'm not telling anyone else. When I am successful, they'll notice.
  • tinchick
    tinchick Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I kept it a secret until I really got into the swing of things and started seeing some real results. I didn't want people to know because, like you, I am trying to get healthy. The weight loss is just an awesome side effect of that goal. I didn't want people only looking at the weight loss part of it.

Plus, every time I tried losing weight in the past, people would tell me how great I looked before I really felt like I had accomplished anything and then when I felt good about my progress, no one said anything. It was so frustrating. Now, I'm trying to get healthy for me and not care what people say about my weight loss (and it's an ongoing process)

If you want to keep it a secret, go for it!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I stopped telling people. Besides my parents and siblings who know I am trying to lose weight..I stop telling other people because when they see me months later I am either the same or even bigger...So I stopped doing that...I also stopped telling my mom that I eat healthier, I workout everyday, etc...because when I go back home to visit her, I am eating fast food like crazy..LOL so I just decided to just keep doing what I am dong and let others be surprise of my transformation!
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    ERRYBODY knows. It keeps me more accountable. Everyone in my life is super supportive.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Same here, everyone knows because I can't stop friggin talkin about it.. Im outta control.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have the most amazingly supportive family and all of them know. Most didnt know until the Xmas holidays except for my parents who I see daily. My Dad has been one of my biggest supporters. I felt like the more people that knew, the more accountable I had to hold myself. But I run into people in our city who didnt have a clue and someone asked me, "where did the other half of you go". That felt good even tho it was more like 25% instead of 50% of me gone. But when I reach my goal, it will be 50% gone as I want to cut my weight in half.

I say do whatever u feel comfortable with. If you feel your family and/or friends would not be supportive, dont tell them. Some people are just so ready to bring us down, which is pathetically sad.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    This is a situation where you've gotta do what ever will be the best for you. If telling everyone works then do it and if not... don't!!!
    Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone. But that's b/c I'm anti-social. I also don't want people to notice I've lost weight. Actually, I just want people not to say anything. If they notice, that's OK. Just keep it to themselves, pleaseandthankyou.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I try not to tell many people because people are weird. Those who are really close to me know that I'm working on it and a few others in my every day know but otherwise I try to keep it quiet. Some of my skinny friends are competitive and/or rude and I'd just rather show up at an event as a skinny surprise than have them watching and commenting for months. If people ask, I'll talk about it but otherwise.. I save it for MFP.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I talk about it - I am doing it for myself but for me I find that I tend to step my game up more when people are aware of what I am trying to do. There are people who support and there are people who are waiting to watch me fail and that seems to fuel my fire.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    All the other times I have lost weight, and times times I tried but didn't get anywhere, I told everyone.

Not this time. I don't know why I feel like this but, I just don't care (that sounds worse than how I mean it)

what others are thinking about me losing weight. I am here doing this for me, for my health.

When they notice, then they will have figured it out. :happy:
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Everyone and their mom knows what I'm up to. But, I do so hoping some people I know that really need to get motivated for the sake of their very life, might do so.

i'm the same way! one of my really close friends started eating healthily and got really excited about it, and that kickstarted me into eating healthy, and i'm hoping some of my other friends follow along in our little domino effect of health.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    My family knows and my boyfriend knows. Whoever finds out besides them it's just because the word got out or they noticed.

For some reason I can not tell one of my best friends that I've known since kindergarten. Maybe it's because she's never had weight issues. Plus she'd probably say that I don't need to lose weight like she's always told me growing up.
  • dandybug
    dandybug Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It wasn't so much of a secret, but rather a choice to keep it private. There are a lot of opinionated people in my life and I didn't need anyone telling me what to do or how to do it. Or question my motives. I made a choice to start eating healthy, too only put nourishing foods into my body. I made a choice to exercise more. These choices didn't have to do with anyone but me. I made a commitment to turning my life around and start taking better care of myself, because I deserve it. I've lost 25lbs and I am keeping it off. I'm wearing sizes of clothing I've never fit into, ever. I sleep better. I'm lighter on my feet. My skin is looks amazing. Because of my commitment to myself I'm finding it relatively easy to maintain my weight loss too. It's not torture. It's a privilege. If you feel it is in YOUR best interest to keep your choice private than by all means do so. Good luck to you!
  • jessmars
    jessmars Posts: 131
    Options
    ONly my mom (who is trying to lose weight) and one school friend (who is losing weight for a wedding). In the past I told everyone so that they could help keep me accountable but then it I felt like they were watching..."I thought you were trying to lose weight?" when they didn't see results or "thought you were dieting, you should you should eat that?".

This time Im doing it for me and only me...PLus Im not always going to have people around to help me make the smart choices. So I figured I should learn on my own to control my eating and working habits.

Funny thing though is that no one has noticed or mentioned I have lost weight (except my mom and 1 friend who knows) which makes me a lil sad :(
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't usually bring it up but people at both jobs have been commenting on my weight loss and saying I look good. Usually they ask if I'm trying and if so what am I doing. In that case I tell them I count calories and exercise regularly. Often they ask if its hard and I'll mention that I use an app on my phone so its easy. I didn't really tell anyone when I started besides my boyfriend that I live with, but I have no problems talking about what I do. I have found people to be supportive, but maybe I just work with great folks haha.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone. But that's b/c I'm anti-social. I also don't want people to notice I've lost weight. Actually, I just want people not to say anything. If they notice, that's OK. Just keep it to themselves, pleaseandthankyou.

I want people to notice that I'm getting FIT not LOSING WEIGHT. I HATE when people tell me "wow you look good. you lost a lot of weight!" It makes me want to run away from them for some reason.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone either.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    After I lost about 10 pounds, my boyfriend told his mom, and his sister and bro-in-law, and all these people I used to work with, and some of his friends. Why? He says it's because he was excited for me. But now every time I see his family their like "oh you look good, are you still on that diet thing?" Because the way he explained it of course is that I went on a diet and lost however many pounds...But I'm kinda committed to it now and it really has become a lifestyle change. And the rest of my family just keeps telling me it's enough now and I'm getting to skinny, whether I told them or not. My uncle asked my mom if I was sick =S