Depression

Options

Replies

• NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    wow I had a LOT of spelling and grammar mistakes! I'm sorry, I'm just passionate about mental health stuff ! :)
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ps: Sorry if my reply ended a little bluntly, bit of a bad day here myself, BUT...I really really wish you well and hope you soon start feeling a little better. Lots of lovely messages and self help cures on here which is nice but when youre in that black tunnel, theres no point in looking at any of that stuff as all you can see is that black tunnel and everything else is a blur...and all around you everything is grey. The sun could be shining, it could be a beautiful day,but all you see is grey everywhere!! I will have a good look back at this thread when Im feeling a bit brighter, Im even thinking of writing a few of the self help tips out and sticking them to my lap top... have a good day everybody and thank you for posting this, its really helpful and nice to see there are lots of people going through the same thing, there are lots out there feeling the same which makes me think I should reach out a bit more!!
  • Ginsey31
    Ginsey31 Posts: 39
    Options
    Positive thoughts to you as you struggle with this. Coming from someone who has experienced depression (both on and off meds), I thought Dragonwolf's advice pretty much covered anything I could tell you. I just wanted to add my support and let you know you're not alone. I'm currently off medication and I try to be sensitive to my emotional health and step back when feeling overwhelmed. Sometimes that means taking a day off work just to decompress or taking an evening just doing something I really enjoy with no goal in mind but to have a good time.

I hope you find some helpful suggestions for fighting the blues!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Exactly the same as me, I was on them 6 years and came off them 3 years ago.

I went back on them last week, I just couldn't cope any more, I tried to cope for 3 months feeling awful and it just isn't worth it. Being proud doesn't make you feel better and you'll just end up feeling worse and worse.

I personally would suggest you go back on them, if pills help then why not take them, there's no shame in having a chemical inbalance in the brain xxx

Absolutely true. Your doc probably knows what he/ she is talking about. I've always thought it unfortunate that some people think they're 'weak' if they treat chemical imbalances as prescribed. All the best - I hope you're feeling better soon!
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do actually feel I need some sun. Trouble is the weather is so bad here at the moment. My mum has a sun lamp - maybe I should borrow it?
    Thanks
    Light therapy can be very beneficial--I use it as well--but if you do decide to try, make sure you use it early in the morning, like before 9 AM. If you're on a standard schedule using it later in the day can mess with your circadian rhythms.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Cannabis sativa, when consumed orally (eaten) can effectively treat depression. I have a story to tell, if you or anyone reading this post is interested, just message me personally.
    ~ Legal in NM
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD and depression which comes and goes because of it, I'm having counselling via skype with a counsellor in the UK, because where I live there's no mental health services. This means that I've never had the option of medication, so have to manage without it regardless. I have days where I really think I should be on medication, and other days where I;m glad that I'm not.

Anyway the following things help:

- counselling/therapy - this has been an absolute lifeline, thank God for skype. make sure that the counsellor/therapist is qualified and experienced in treating the problem that you have. Some counsellors/therapists are not very good and in some cases can do more harm than good, but a good one should be able to help a lot. If you cant get someone locally then use skype or the phone. Also, counselling is not just about treating the condition you have, it's also about learning to deal with everything better. Some mental health problems can't be effectively treated with counselling, but it can still help with learning to live with the condition and in stopping it from affecting your whole life so much. Definitely worth considering.

- exercise. this helps a lot, because it converts stress hormones (which i have way too much of in my system) into "happy" hormones. sometimes I find it hard to motivate myself to do any exercise because of the depression but what I'm finding helps with that is to break it down into small, managable chunks. So my weights workout instead of doing three sets one after the other I spread them out, so any time I exercise it's one set, easier to get through, easier to motivate myself etc. also other short bursts of exercise like even just a couple of minutes of bodyweight exercises etc. Also exercising helps with dealing with flashbacks/panic attacks, better than lying down does (that's for PTSD related panic attacks, don't know if it's the same for other problems that cause panic e.g. panic disorder, so check with a doctor/therapist etc) Also I don't have rest days, it seems to upset my brain chemistry, but I do have no weights days, and I'm on a split routine so upper body one day lower body the next etc, plus one day of no weights. I do low intensity cardio 7x a week at the moment. I'm not bothered if this has a slight negative effect on recovery because IMO mental health is more important. I don't think I do enough even on weights days to be at risk of overtraining anyway.

- getting enough sleep - easier said than done because I get insomnia a lot but I do feel better generally when I manage to get more sleep. avoid anything that's making insomnia worse

- eating enough carbs early in the day and eating regular healthy meals through the day - I eat 4-6 meals a day. low blood sugar makes anxiety, depression and issues related to it worse. I track my food intake on here to avoid undereating as much as to avoid overeating (I'm inclined to doing either of those and was in a cycle of undereating followed by compensatory overeating before I started getting back into shape physically)

- eating enough healthy fat

- being around supportive people and not being afraid to ask them for support when you need it,

- ways to offload your feelings. a punch bag helps a LOT but also someone you can talk to about how you feel

- being kind to yourself

- getting out of the house regularly

- I have a file of inspirational/motivational quotes, pics etc on my computer for when I'm feeling really bad, I chose things that I know I'd find helpful/uplifting. You need to choose your own things, because it's very individual, some things that others find inspiring or motivating would make me feel 100x worse so choose what you know will make you feel better

Hope some of those things help!!
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thank you again to everyone who's taken the time to comment and offer support.

I've been given lots of 'food for thought'.

You're all fantastic xx
  • allie0630
    allie0630 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is wonderful!! There is no judgement here, just helpful suggestions and lots of support.
    I've been on meds for depression since my third child was born (13 years ago). It's just something I need to take, like vitamins to keep my mind and body in check. However, I know i need to do other things as well... all things that others have suggested here.

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions because I think we all really need those reminders!

Hugs to all of you. It's nice to know we are all supported!!
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    On pretty days...go for walks in the sun. Or rain if you prefer that. :)
    Maybe vitamin B12 will help a bit.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm in the EXACT same boat. Was on Zoloft for a few years, but been off for about 3. Started having problems again recently. I just went through a few tests to make sure the problems I've been having weren't something else. I'm not real excited about it, but my doctor thinks I need to go back on some meds. I figure if it helps, I might as well. But... when I get depressed, I either get suicidal or homicidal. Since I don't want to be in jail or worse, I'll take them. You could definately try the exercise to see if it helps, maybe try something fun like a punching bag to see if it helps you!!
  • leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    Options
    Exactly the same as me, I was on them 6 years and came off them 3 years ago.

I went back on them last week, I just couldn't cope any more, I tried to cope for 3 months feeling awful and it just isn't worth it. Being proud doesn't make you feel better and you'll just end up feeling worse and worse.

I personally would suggest you go back on them, if pills help then why not take them, there's no shame in having a chemical inbalance in the brain xxx

^^^ this^^^
    even my dr has said if you feel you need them keep taking them, i've tried to do without but at the moment i'm not in that place, don't feel bad for taking something that is making you feel better about yourself, easing your moods and taking the strain out of your relationships- thats just my thoughts x
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    <~~Am terrified about even thinking of going off meds...although sometimes I think of them as a Crutch!
  • Braymoor1976
    Options
    I know you have been getting a lot of responses to this subject but I would also like to 'weigh' in on it. I have poly-cystic ovaries couple with OCD and generalized anxiety. The thinner I am it helps with my cycles but inorder to get thin i have to work very hard and my medicines have make it more difficult to lose weight. At the end of the day over the years I have decided I need some sort of balance. Going off the medicine doesn't seem like a good idea because my anxiety seems to get worse as I get older and my polycystic ovaries seems to exascerabate the situation. BUT I would rather be happy and contented than thin and on edge. For me cognitive therapy and counselling don't help. Only replacing the serotonin thats missing helps and then I am right as rain again. Don't let anyone berate you for choosing either path its your life and your happiness, no one prescription fits all. God Bless x
  • Xena03
    Xena03 Posts: 12
    Options
    I haven't read through all the posts so I don't know if anyone suggested this already but you may want to check other meds your taking or foods you eat.

I found that my birth control was was making me a crazy person. As soon as I got of the pill I was better but then I went to the Nuva Ring and found myself in the bathtub thinking of 5 different ways to end my life. I took it out and the next day I felt like someone flipped a switch and suddenly the sun was out.

I also found that I don't do well with Aspertame. I have no problems with Splenda, however. Research other foods or meds that seem suspect. They may not be causing your depression but they can certainly aggrivate it.

As far as meds go I would suggest listing symptoms you remember having in the past and then set a limit to what you will tolerate. Check your list regularly for red flags. Don't wait to dip too far before deciding to get help though, as coming out of a deep spiral is sooooo much harder than if you catch it earlier.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is wonderful!! There is no judgement here, just helpful suggestions and lots of support.
    I've been on meds for depression since my third child was born (13 years ago). It's just something I need to take, like vitamins to keep my mind and body in check. However, I know i need to do other things as well... all things that others have suggested here.

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions because I think we all really need those reminders!

Hugs to all of you. It's nice to know we are all supported!!

You took the words out of my mouth! The response has been amazing. Thank you, thank you, thank you - you're all amazing people! I hope you all find happiness in whatever way is best for you. You've certainly all given me lots to think about.

You all ROCK!!

Hugs
    Sarah xx
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I did not take the time to read through all the posts or check out your diary, but I have been reading up on depression and diet. A low fat, high carbohydrate diet has been shown to produce depression in some individuals. If you are eating tons of carbs a day, you might want to limit them back to say under 150 or 100 a day and see what happens for two weeks. You never know, it just may help.

EDIT: When I say carbs, I mean the high glycemic index type.

Good luck.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I did not take the time to read through all the posts or check out your diary, but I have been reading up on depression and diet. A low fat, high carbohydrate diet has been shown to produce depression in some individuals. If you are eating tons of carbs a day, you might want to limit them back to say under 150 or 100 a day and see what happens for two weeks. You never know, it just may help.

EDIT: When I say carbs, I mean the high glycemic index type.

Good luck.

It's possibly the low fat that's the problem more than the carbs, because deficiency in EFA and vitamin D (which is a fat soluble vitamin) can worsen depression or perhaps even cause it in some people, and one study showed lack of EFA was linked to increased risk of suicide.

Regarding carbs, I only have my personal experience and that of one or two others, but low blood sugar and insufficient amounts of carbs (i.e. healthy carbs) seems to have a bad effect, i.e. moodswings, more depressed, more anxious. Refined carbs are not good either (which is where I'd agree about the high GI thing you said above) because they cause blood sugar levels to be unstable. But I wanted to mention about the possible dangers of getting too few carbs as well. That's how it is for me, and I've spoken to a couple of others who said the same thing. So I think it's more about balance, i.e. not too many or to few, and focussing on the kinds of carbs and the times of day you have them. I have my carbs early in the day (the healthy, wholegrain kind) to keep my blood sugar levels steady through the day. I know from experience that skipping breakfast or having a zero carb breakfast can have a very negative effect on my mental health.
  • Annaflower
    Annaflower Posts: 43
    Options
    It took me really being crushed to finally get some help from a Dr. Now I take Buproprion and Viibryd together.

Sure, there are some side effects, but mild. I feel so much better emotionally and I am able to be productive and in some control.

I openly tell people that I take them, I refuse to let this be embarrassing. Before I lost weight I was diabetic, I took metformin, I wasn't embarrassed about that, so why be embarrassed about this.

This is coming from a guy who avoided Drs for 20 years.

My brain chemistry is a bit out of whack, so I take a couple pills. No biggee to me.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ could not put it better.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering from situational depression for about 3 years (triggered from grief over my mom and grandmother's deaths that were 11 months apart and went to counseling which didn't help matters) and when i was pregnant, they wanted to put me on meds, i told them no, and at my 6 week appointment, they thought i developed some post partum depression (they haven't ruled it out completely, it was a question that never got an answer though my situational depression is being exacerbated) i have noticed when i exercise, it makes me feel not as depressed and less likely to eat crapingly......

Like many others i didn't read through every single post, but choose what u feel is right for u, and what makes u happy because that is what will count :) And that no matter what, most of everyone on mfp is supportive (i said most, cuz i have seen a few jerks)and will be here for u!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!