Replies

• TempeB
    TempeB Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Does a food processor work?
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    there is a great article about juicing in Mays women first magazine. In the article and other sources you can find talk about how juicing is most benefical in the first 20 min of the juice being prepared. This is when the enzymes are present. check out the magazine it is a great one....
  • JoannaChristine
    JoannaChristine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I juice everyday for breakfast and I love it! I combine fruits and veggies!
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Does a food processor work?

I'm not sure. I think the food processor only breaks the food down. I know some people use blenders to make smoothies, but I jumped on the juice train.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 of juicing (not only juice as I also have vegetable soup and salad). The benefits - wow, I am surprised.

I have rosacea (red rash across my cheeks and nose) and very dark rings around my eyes. On the second day my skin was really tender and I realised that it was all fresh new skin - usually I need antibiotics to get that to happen - and the inflamed skin ended up peeling off yesterday so I look all new! The dark circles have reduced - don't need to slap on the makeup quite so thick anymore ;)

I am not hungry at all and I am taking in around 1200 - 1400 calories in juice. I was tired the first two days and felt very sort of hungover (no other way to describe it), like hangdog etc, and headachy. Now I am buzzing - feel like I really don't need as much sleep.

The weight loss has been pretty good, I am down a total of 6 lb since I started on Monday (for those who always have something to say - yes I know some of it is water weight etc etc, so there is no need to chime in!)

I was VERY skeptical about this. I deliberated for ages, almost a month, about doing this and then I finally thought, really what will it cost me if I do it and it doesn't work - very little.

I am a convert now. Even if I stop losing weight I will keep juicing a meal a day. The veggie juices are lovely (except cabbage which I can't stomach), I always mix them with apple, orange or pineapple.

Maybe there is something to the story of being fat and yet being undernourished because of diet. My diet was quite good before but low on veg.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    my favourite recipe is:

celery
    carrot
    d bol
    test e
    spinach
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love juicing and I use a blender, not a juicer, because I want the pulp and everything.

I am about to go liquify some spinach, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries or some combination of the above. I try to keep all of them in the fridge for juicing.

Good stuff!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    my favourite recipe is:

celery
    carrot
    d bol
    test e
    spinach

....and you'll have a good supply of "Power Pulp".
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    BTW - I haven't found a tool to help estimate calories. But I drink 8 cups veggie juice per day and have not seen an adverse impact to my weight loss.

You can build your recipe in MFP. I do that for my juices and am often am surprised by the calories (mostly from carrots).

Love carrot, fennel, cucumber and pear.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    BTW - I haven't found a tool to help estimate calories. But I drink 8 cups veggie juice per day and have not seen an adverse impact to my weight loss.

You can enter your ingredients under the recipe tab and put the amount of servings you usually get out of a batch and it will calculate it for you. :)
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that using the recipe will work for juices however, as a lot of the fruit/veggies are pushed into the pulp bowl. SO I'm not sure the recipe conversion is going to be the same thing.
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I hope someone else clicks on this thinking it's about steroid use. :-\

I thought it would be about fruit and veg, but curiosity got the better of me :laugh:
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you google how to work out the calories in juice there are several calculators. basically, its the g of fibre x 4 (each gram of fibre has 4 calories), which you then subtract from the calorie count of the juice. It can make up to 100 cals difference to some juices where the fruit or veg have a lot of fibre but I don't adjust mine on MFP.

The biggest difference for me is that I never ever used to hit my goals for calcium, vitamins or iron and now I get them every day. I'm going to keep juicing until the scale/my body stop seeing a difference.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    If you google how to work out the calories in juice there are several calculators. basically, its the g of fibre x 4 (each gram of fibre has 4 calories), which you then subtract from the calorie count of the juice. It can make up to 100 cals difference to some juices where the fruit or veg have a lot of fibre but I don't adjust mine on MFP.

The biggest difference for me is that I never ever used to hit my goals for calcium, vitamins or iron and now I get them every day. I'm going to keep juicing until the scale/my body stop seeing a difference.

ME TOO! It helps me get my veggies in for the day, which I do not like.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My husband and I juice all of our extra fruit and veggies from our garden, and throw the mush in our compost. We don't use it for meal replacement though. They work as amazing energy boosts! And you almost immediately feel more clear headed. I love juicing.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    OMG I HAVE A LOVE AFFAIR WITH MY JUICER!!! I have the Omega Nutrition center and its my favorite appliance! When I'm home, I juice for breakfast. Check out Kris Carr's book "Crazy Sexy Diet". It'sa great read, and a good resource for benefits of juicing.

I love my green juice!
  • nashai01
    Options
    I have so many great ideas of what I would like try, thanks to all of you. Do anyone think its beneficial just to juice for snacks. I don't want to do it as a meal replacement, but I normally snack at least once a day. What do you guys think?
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I tried doing a 30 day juice fast, but I only got to day 8. I was craving meat so bad. However, I noticed that I had good energy and better skin, and that is good. So we juice things like kale, beets, spinach, cannabis, herbs, kiwis, pears, apples, watermelon, broccoli etc. and drink about 8oz a day. I really notice a difference in my energy levels, so it is very helpful.
  • nashai01
    Options
    Ok thanks. I just can't skip meals but I'll def juice for a snack.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have so many great ideas of what I would like try, thanks to all of you. Do anyone think its beneficial just to juice for snacks. I don't want to do it as a meal replacement, but I normally snack at least once a day. What do you guys think?

I am sure you could, just watch the calories you intake. I dilute mine with ice cubes too. Although, for me, its easy to replace lunch with a green drink. I have always hated that sleepy feeling in the afternoon. With the green drink, there is no sleepiness and I have plenty of energy for my 7 mile bike ride home without that "weighted" feeling in my stomach from eating a carb loaded lunch