Vegetarians and vegans. Controversial Topic

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing this actually happened.. but whatever. I'm vegan and I always get interrogated by strangers. It usually always starts out with "You know, God made animals to be eaten". So now the tables are turned.. lol. :)

I get that argument too. "Not my god." is my standard response- no room for further discussion.

Great response.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Quick Poll: any republican vegetarians/vegans out there?
    I hope not. If so, I might have to rethink my diet.
    So glad to have you as a friend :)
    If I dropped friends because they didn't share my political views, I'd lose probably 75% of my friends. I don't share my political views with many of them, because I've had other friends like them drop me for the same reason. That's one of the differences between people on this side of the aisle and that side. They *think* they're more tolerant, but are actually less so.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Quick Poll: any republican vegetarians/vegans out there?
    I hope not. If so, I might have to rethink my diet.
    So glad to have you as a friend :)
    If I dropped friends because they didn't share my political views, I'd lose probably 75% of my friends. I don't share my political views with many of them, because I've had other friends like them drop me for the same reason. That's one of the differences between people on this side of the aisle and that side. They *think* they're more tolerant, but are actually less so.

Party affiliation has nothing to do with this topic, anyway. Let's just say that vegetarians are a diverse group and leave it at that.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
  • Brechin89
    Brechin89 Posts: 92
    Options

(that wasn't word for word but its the same damn gibberish she was spouting at me)

Being a educated fellow I smiled real big and just knew this was going down right then and there.

My response "What makes you think that this is unhealthy? Because its high in calories? My food is cooked to kill the germs that might be harmful to me. As far as taste goes I believe its very good and I might just get another."

"I'm a vegetarian and vegetarians are just more fit and healthier than those who are not" she said.

I eat all the nutrients my body needs. Without sacrificing my size. If I were like you and eat only veggies I would be a puny twig that can be pushed over by a strong wind. I like my chances of being healthy without being a vegetarian. I like having protein in my body, it allows me to do hard labor work without being strained, and if I am strained I can recover very quickly. If I were you I'd start eating meat so you can be healthier than you are now

Baffled and stunned this lady was forced into retreat.

I finished my meal and I walked over to her and her friend. I reach into my wallet and I pull out a trainers card from a gym. I said trainers and nutrionists do not recommend being a vegetarian, neither do doctors. Here is card for a trainer at my gym if you wish to learn more about why your not healthy give him a ring... And I left

Her reaction was rude. No argument there.

Your reaction was equally as rude and uneducated.

I eat all the nutrients my body needs. So do all the vegan and vegetarian athletes out there; they have no problem keeping up. I have protein in my body, otherwise I would be dead. A blanket statement about veg*ns and protein is absurd. What do you think veg*ns eat? Do you think eating animals is the only way to get protein? There is protein in all foods in varying amounts, not to mention specific sources of protein such as legumes (maybe you don't know what those are since you seem to think eating animals is required to get sufficient amounts of protein).

Veg*n =/= automatically mean a "twig," otherwise there wouldn't be so many of us on here trying to lose weight.

And finally, trainers =/= automatically knowledgeable about nutrition (in fact few really are), doctors =/= automatically knowledgable about nutrition (in fact doctors as a whole do not receive much of anything in regards to training on the subject), and finally nutritionists =/= automatically knowledgable about nutrition (yeah, their title sounds good, but nutritionists are all over the map. There is no national standard to be a nutritionist). You want information about diets? Educate yourself and go to a dietician.

What did you post this for? To be a troll and get people riled up? Or to get a pat on the pack for being equally rude to a rude person and demonstrating your own ignorance?

Yes my comments toward her were rude. But it was one of those days where you just take so much crap in then you just snap back at them. I was thinking of every think I could say to be a douche to her without being a douche.

Yes, I know they can get their protein from somewhere else other than animals. Most cases vegetarians really lack protein so I was wrong to stereotype her. The conversation was a lot more in depth than what I posted and lasted much longer. She doesn't even know what nutrients she is putting into her body. When I asked her what she supplemented her protein with she had no answer. Plus she was a twig... couldn't have been more than 90lbs and she was about 5'6". So I certainly am not going to take nutrition advice from her.

Oh and trainers and nutrionists being knowledgable about nutrition is correct, but they are not fully correct. Most of the time you go in to the gym you ask a trainer about losing weight they are going to stress the myth of "starvation mode" so I really don't listen to them either. I take my advice from a doctor and do my own research.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    After reading only read the first post and a few of the following replies, I have to say this post seems to me to be complete troll bait. You felt like having an argument with vegetarians, so you set up a "straw man" (or straw lady) to represent the way you feel vegetarians are, so you can present your anti-veg rant. I seriously doubt this incident actually occurred.

Precisely. That story was just too detailed. I smelled troll too.

Count me too amongst the skeptics. :huh:
  • Brechin89
    Options
    After reading only read the first post and a few of the following replies, I have to say this post seems to me to be complete troll bait. You felt like having an argument with vegetarians, so you set up a "straw man" (or straw lady) to represent the way you feel vegetarians are, so you can present your anti-veg rant. I seriously doubt this incident actually occurred.

You both can choose to believe what ever you like. It was detailed because I took the time to write it out... Sorry for actually putting forth the effort.

Also, this post was to find out why people choose to be vegan. If its because they think its a healthier way of living or they hate the smell of meat. They love animals blah blah blah...

This wasn't meant to be a troll topic or to stir trouble.

Thank you,
    Brechin

P.S I have nothing against vegetarians. My mother and my gf are both vegetaraians...
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Also, this post was to find out why people choose to be vegan. If its because they think its a healthier way of living or they hate the smell of meat. >>>>>>>>>>>>>They love animals blah blah blah...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>This wasn't meant to be a troll topic or to stir trouble.

Thank you,
    Brechin

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>P.S I have nothing against vegetarians. My mother and my gf are both vegetaraians...

The first statement appears to contradict your later statements. "blah, blah, blah" kind of demonstrates what you think of veg*ns.

And I don't even know why I'm adding to this topic.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I didn't think think "troll." I thought it was one of those "as I play back that encounter in my head, this is what I wish I had said" kind of deals.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    My husband is a vegetarian and he can out run you.
  • Brechin89
    Options
    Look my ENTIRE life my mom has been a vegetaraian. My entire life she has been less than 100lbs. One of her boyfriends also vegan... He also was tiny. So I'm sorry if it has somehow become a stereotype in my head that all vegetarains are small. I have met some pretty big vegetarains before and I've met a few athletes and a few fellow service members as well.

So if your done trolling please move on....
  • Brechin89
    Options
    My husband is a vegetarian and he can out run you.

The best i've done in my life was 10:56 on a PT test... After doing 72 pushups in 2 min and 78 situps in 2 minutes...
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    5894824222_c0d12f48cf.jpg
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Look my ENTIRE life my mom has been a vegetaraian. My entire life she has been less than 100lbs. One of her boyfriends also vegan... He also was tiny. So I'm sorry if it has somehow become a stereotype in my head that all vegetarains are small. I have met some pretty big vegetarains before and I've met a few athletes and a few fellow service members as well.

I find this curious. Why did you make the following reply, if the above is the case?
    what is your purpose for being vegetarian? Do they just taste that good to you? Is it about being healthy? WHY!?!? Don't get me wrong I have no problems with it, and everyone is entitled to eat what ever they wish. I however am trying to understand the madness.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian because I like animals better when they are alive. I don't care if other people eat them, though. I know they are delicious. I just prefer not to.

Also, I have Radiohead tickets.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Meh, there are unhealthy meat eaters, there are unhealthy non-meat eaters, and verse visa. As long as you don't try to change the way I eat without my soliciting advice, I.D.G.A.R.A about what you put in your mouth.
  • Brechin89
    Options

I find this curious. Why did you make the following reply, if the above is the case?
    what is your purpose for being vegetarian? Do they just taste that good to you? Is it about being healthy? WHY!?!? Don't get me wrong I have no problems with it, and everyone is entitled to eat what ever they wish. I however am trying to understand the madness.

because someone was making it out like I put them in a stereotype so I told them exactly what I think of when someone says vegetarain...
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 30 of my 32 years and I would NEVER do something like that. Sounds like this lady had a bad day and wanted to take it out on someone!
  • sarose611
    sarose611 Posts: 1
    Options
    Vegetarians and vegans report having a "healthier" diet simply because cutting out meat products drastically cuts the fat in one's diet. and the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association both make a big deal about the health risks of a high fat diet. 30 years ago, that was the nurtritional hot button. More recently, it has been verified that fat in the diet assists in transporting fat soluble vitamins, and helps keep the body well lubricated if you will. It provides taste (reducing the need for salt) and satiety, and keeps one feeling full longer. At 9 calories a gram, fat is twice as "fattening" as protein or carbs, and about 20% higher than alcohols. So it should be eaten in moderation. But mono- and polyunsaturated fats are GOOD for you, and keep cholesterol levels in the correct balance. Vegans in particular are frequently low in these good fats, and also in Vitamin B12, which is only naturally found in animal products. Vegans MUST supplement their diets with this vitamin. Also look at the skin of most vegans and many vegetarians. The collagen levels are poor, the skin looks wrinkled, drawn and dry-because it is. Those fats help maintain that youthful texture and appearance of skin. No one has the right to attack someone else's food choices, and this woman was waaaaaay out of line and incorrect in her arguments as well.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    People became intelligent when they evolved from plant eaters to carnivores. Its true. Google it. The dense calories in meat allowed prehistoric people to spend less time looking for food and more time being creative.

I can understand why you would not want to eat the family pet, but we are built for eating meat and it does sustain us.

Of course this is the present and we don't need to fill our belly with meat before our next hunt in 3 days. (google fasting, and its health benefits).

I also support people NOT eating meat. Its not sustainable and pastures are not doing this planet any favors. That's a different topic though.

For me? Well. Meat is much more satisfying and curbs my hunger easier. However, I do love great big salads and many fruits. My house as a bit of everything in it!