Vegetarians and vegans. Controversial Topic

Options

Replies

• jenna324
    jenna324 Posts: 28
    Options
    Quote: [/quote]Uh. Animals are humanely killed, they are not "tortured to death". I have been to slaughterhouses and have seen it firsthand.
    I take exception, too, to your claim that animals were put here by God for us to eat.
    We are animals. We love to imagine that we're special, but I think that's bull****. We are no different and have evolved in the same way as anything else.
    [/quote]

Reply: Uh, no I disagree. I am a food scientist & clinical nutritionist currently working on my masters degree in food science & industry. That being said, a lot of meats that consumers buy are from "the industry" not the farm (where, as I'm sure you're aware, things are done differently and often more humanely). The horror stories I could tell you. I honestly couldn't sleep at night after taking my meat production class. Yes, you do have some companies out there that have moral and ethical values that they enforce while raising & slaughtering their livestock. Then you have the not so nice companies who DO "torture" their animals. Being fed hormones, steroids and by-product of my fellow livestock friends is not what I would call humane. Not to mention living in my own feces, being crammed in a tiny cage that I can't even turn around in, having my legs and/or wings broke, being electrocuted... and I'll stop there. I would call that torture. I am all for buying my produce, dairy & meat (for my husband, since I am a veg because meat grosses me out) from the local farmers.
  • fajitatx
    fajitatx Posts: 36
    Options
    I am an omnivore, tried and true. I have never done an all meat (like Atkins, the way most do it) diet, but I did go completely vegan, for 11 days.

My sister was a hard core vegetarian turned vegan, no telepathic powers unfortunately (pilgrim fans clap now), and I saw on a few family visits (our family is in Michigan, I am in Texas [ land of beef] and she lives in Portland [land of vegans]) and I saw that she had a hard time eating with the family.

This was mostly due to the fact that at the family meals, my father namely, had forgotten to tell the family members doing the cooking that my sister could not eat anything with meat, even a couple of times my dad made a meal, he neglected.

So, feeling her plight and having made fun of her for only eating vegetables (the way a brother does to a younger sister), I opted to walk a mile in her shoes and try to eat like she did for 30 days.

Due to stress at work, I finally broke down at dinner on the 11th day and had something with cheese and at that point went in for some beef as well. It had been a really ****ty day and I needed some comfort food.

But during my 11 days, i was able to get my protein in via soy and I was able to keep my energy up with carbs and I felt in general good and healthy. I might even try again this year to see if I can make it to say 14 days, as a good sort of cleanse.

But the one thing and for me this goes along with religion and politics, keep your opinion to yourself unless otherwise solicited for it.

The lady was at a SANDWICH place, one of my favorites notably, while they have a veggie sandwich on the menu, that is one of like 20 different ones they prepare, not where a vegan / vegetarian (big difference by the way, vegetarians will generally still do dairy and eggs, sometimes fish), not where a vegan should be hanging out.

And I would also say that given human nature, unless you are doing it for health reasons (or a some what whacky empathetic experiment) you are not a going to the extreme of becoming a vegan without being extreme in personality in general, meaning you are probably more likely to speak out and unfortunately think that you can convince someone who is enjoying their food, to switch their entire way of life, by say 'eww, yuck, what you are eating is evil and wrong'.

Much the same way that if you walked up to someone and said 'God, I can't believe you are eating that, I mean it came out of the dirt, picked by workers that are paid crap wages and are not even likely citizens of our country, I can't believe you are eating fruits and vegetables that were harvested by exploited labor, I mean me, I prefer meat made by labor that is also likely exploited, but assembled into tasty sandwiches by college students'

anyway, I say, do whatever feels right for you, but don't force your beliefs on others.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i think there is a stong correlation for vegan/vegetarians and their political party... just my opinion.
    false.
    "According to Lempert, conservatives correlated with foods like pizza, macaroni and cheese, and peanut butter and jelly for lunch, plus fried chicken, meatloaf, and steak for dinner, with Italian food being the cuisine of choice.

Liberals, on the other hand, preferred Asian: Thai and Indian for lunch, and veggie burgers and green curry for supper. His findings indicate they also tend to make more nutritionally sound choices, such as eating vegetables more often and fast food less frequently, and making dishes from scratch." [source: http://www.yumsugar.com/Political-Party-Affiliation-May-Correlated-Food-Choices-6375098]

just because comfort foods tend to include meat doesn't necessarily mean that conservatives must eat meat. my family is conservative and (outside of my household), nearly everything is homemade. i, a liberal vegetarian, do love making things myself and eating the veggies i like, but i would gladly eat nothing but pasta for the rest of my life and, quite frankly, i don't like spicy foods like asian.
    there may be some correlation between heaviness of foods, if you will, but not necessarily if there is meat or not.
    so it kind of proves my point..
    no. it doesn't. it doesn't prove anything. it suggests that conservatives eat heavier food, both veg*n and non. it also suggests that liberals eat lighter or healthier foods, both veg*n and non.
    for your earlier survey, i am a member of the green party and i am a vegetarian. i had a friend at work who was a republican and vegetarian. my uncle is more moderate and was a vegetarian for years. political party has nothing to do with whether or not you eat meat.
  • FatherGruff
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (and have been for 24 years). When people say "oh, you must be really healthy!" my standard answer has always been "Oh, I don't know: Doritos and Mountain Dew are vegetarian..." Of course, I haven't eaten that way in a while, but as a teen that seems like it was my main diet.

The lady that accosted you was just wrong. There are plenty of good reasons to be a vegetarian. There are also plenty of good reasons to be a locavore, or to recycle, or to bike to work, or to do any of a number of other things. That doesn't mean that if you see someone doing something other than that you should be rude to them. There are plenty of good reasons to be polite to the people around you.

Can you imagine someone walking up to you, as you are sitting in your car at a stoplight, and saying "it's just gross that you drive around instead of walking. I walk every day and I'm healthier for it."? You'd probably just run them over. :)

I'm sure she has the best of intentions, but she was taking the wrong tack. And giving vegetarians a bad name at the same time.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i do think it's funny that veg*ns get all kind of crap for being uppity at omnivores, because i am a vegan and i have NEVER just come out of nowhere and started ragging on someone for what they're eating, but it happens to me coming from meat-eaters ALL. THE. TIME.
    makes it a little hard for me to understand this reputation that veg folks supposedly have, because i have only observed it in reverse.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i think there is a stong correlation for vegan/vegetarians and their political party... just my opinion.
    false.
    "According to Lempert, conservatives correlated with foods like pizza, macaroni and cheese, and peanut butter and jelly for lunch, plus fried chicken, meatloaf, and steak for dinner, with Italian food being the cuisine of choice.

Liberals, on the other hand, preferred Asian: Thai and Indian for lunch, and veggie burgers and green curry for supper. His findings indicate they also tend to make more nutritionally sound choices, such as eating vegetables more often and fast food less frequently, and making dishes from scratch." [source: http://www.yumsugar.com/Political-Party-Affiliation-May-Correlated-Food-Choices-6375098]

just because comfort foods tend to include meat doesn't necessarily mean that conservatives must eat meat. my family is conservative and (outside of my household), nearly everything is homemade. i, a liberal vegetarian, do love making things myself and eating the veggies i like, but i would gladly eat nothing but pasta for the rest of my life and, quite frankly, i don't like spicy foods like asian.
    there may be some correlation between heaviness of foods, if you will, but not necessarily if there is meat or not.
    so it kind of proves my point..
    no. it doesn't. it doesn't prove anything. it suggests that conservatives eat heavier food, both veg*n and non. it also suggests that liberals eat lighter or healthier foods, both veg*n and non.
    for your earlier survey, i am a member of the green party and i am a vegetarian. i had a friend at work who was a republican and vegetarian. my uncle is more moderate and was a vegetarian for years. political party has nothing to do with whether or not you eat meat.
    well thats ur opinion.. where i think that the more environmentally conscious people are they are more inclined to be vegetarian, liberal, or both.
  • chksarma
    chksarma Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am a Vegan!! I was raised like that from my childhood!! Sometimes I got a chance to eat meat, but I didnot eat!! Its not because I love animals, I HATE them!! I love the food I eat!! So I don't eat non-veg :P

At the same time I donot have any bad opinion on others who eat non-veg, I just rag them about it!! Its just for fun nothing else!!

But the question which I donot have an answer is "Gals say puppies r cute and chicken is delicious" why so? :P
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    well thats ur opinion.. where i think that the more environmentally conscious people are they are more inclined to be vegetarian, liberal, or both.
    i didn't say anything about environmentalism. i agree that those with more environmental consciousness do tend to be liberal, but as veg*nism is generally more about ethics than the environment, environmental consciousness doesn't always translate to veg*nism.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am a Vegan!! I... Its not because I love animals, I HATE them!! I love the food I eat!! So I don't eat non-veg :P

Best response in this whole thread. I love it.

I hate fish. I think they're creepy and gross and want nothing to do with them.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I would have given her a piece of my mind too. Good for you man. lol
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i didn't say anything about environmentalism. i agree that those with more environmental consciousness do tend to be liberal, but as veg*nism is generally more about ethics than the environment, environmental consciousness doesn't always translate to veg*nism.
    [/quote]
    u dont think ethics and the environment have any correlation? i bet veganism translates to environmental consciousness
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    u dont think ethics and the environment have any correlation? i bet veganism translates to environmental consciousness
    They're both types of social conscience. It's not any stretch to believe that someone who would be attracted to environmentalism would also be attracted to vegetarianism, even if they're not vegetarians for environmental reasons.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    my husband is a vegetarian and has been for 25 years, he doesn't eat any meat or fish but still eats dairy, he is well within his healthy weight range, but is really unfit. he genuinely doesn't like the texture or taste of meat and also doesn't want anything to die so he can eat, he has never tried to guilt trip or press his diet onto me or our kids, over the years i have altered many of our recipes so he can eat exactly the same as the rest of the family when it isn't a vegetarian meal.
    he has no problem cooking meat for the rest of us and weirdly cooks THE best steak in the world
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarianm, I concur with the many others' who have said she was just damn rude. Good for you on being so fit!

As for understanding - I don't eat meat because I think its gross dead flesh...my husband eats meat, I cook it for him. I only insist that he brush his teeth before kissing me.

PS I'm a conservative - who doesn't have an environmental perspective on this.
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    People like her is why I don't tell people I man a vegitarian. Don't ask don't tell :)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've seen it both ways. I've seen vegans (in particular a friend of mine) be obese. And I've seen them be fit (a friends sister.) same goes for meat eaters, I've seen some that are obese and others (like my trainer) who eat outrageous amounts of meet a day. In my opinion that has no baring on if someone's fit or not. Not in the least. You know what does tell all though? Calories in vs. calories out lol no matter if the come from a steak or tofu. You can find terrible foods that are made with meat and made without. You can find heathy foods that are the same way. A grilled chicken breast in very healthy. As is a eggplant dish. A hamburger can be made very unhealthy, but so can a veggie burger. Lol.
  • fuzzyslipperz
    fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and that lady was really rude, no matter what her diet was. My husband is omni and I hang out with people while they are eating meat and while I might tease them if I know them really well (like my husband), I don't talk about being veg unless asked. It's my choice. Health-wise, IMO meat is fine in moderation. I do it because I've never really liked anything but poultry -and once I started raising chickens they became like pets to me. Eating chicken would be like eating my cat :P. I have other reasons as well, but that's for another day. :) I am healthy and fit, but I'd never say an omnivore could not be the same! =)
  • Thinsposa
    Thinsposa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, I would never impose my beliefs on meat eating upon others the way this woman did to you, I live by the rule 'if you're not willing to kill it yourself then you shouldn't eat it'. Be a conscious eater and be aware that the meat you're eating didn't come from an animal that lived like an animal. 'Meet your meat'.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I became a vegetarian recently because of the way that animals are treated to get the meat to your plate. It's truely disgusting that we have become a world where demands for meat = allowing animal cruelty. People get arrested, banned from keeping PETS ( dogs, cats, rabbits etc.) if they do not treat them right, what makes the 'farming' industry any different? Especially at food chains and supermarkets where this type of cruelty is more apparent. If I buy meat for my partner it's from a local farmer, where I can see for myself how the animals are treated.

I agree about the woman though, she was rude. People can make their own adult choices of what food to eat given they have the information, they can make what they want of it at the end of the day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but it's my choice and would never force it on anyone. I don't believe it's healthier to be veg. Eat what you want.