Newbies, beware.

Options
Staff Note:

Please see my response on Page 4 of this thread. We want ALL users to feel confident posting in the forums, and we have systems in place to improve the tone of the forums over the long haul.

Steven
MyFitnessPal Staff

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....

Just a friendly warning to all newbies, don't post topics asking for help or advice. I did and got shot down. :embarassed:

Replies

• msdoan
    msdoan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Aw I'm sorry to hear that! Some days people get cranky around here but we aren't ALL a bunch of jerks I promise! Feel free to add me and I'd be glad to support you on your journey.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    And don't post how many calories you eat either unless you want a thrashing about that.
  • TylerJessilynn
    TylerJessilynn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What did you need help with? I'm fairly new, so maybe we could help each other! :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Care to point us to the original thread so we can determine for ourselves?
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Thanks guys! I got upset because someone was quite rude to me. Nice to see there are nice people on here!
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I hear that! I have replied to a couple of posts asking for advice and I've not gotten any responses to my specific questions. It can be very discouraging for sure! i must say though, that my MFP friends are great though. Not all respond to my advice asking messages but all are supportive.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It seems that some of the MFPs forget that they were new at one time. Not all of us are that way! :flowerforyou:
  • Janet55555555555
    Options
    I will help you!
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't log cleaning, no matter how vigorous. Because apparently only hard cardio or weight training is an acceptable method of burning calories.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    what???... I thought one of the points of this site was that! WTH... damn rude people!
  • ronkelley2
    ronkelley2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i have found that people are moody on here. and do not always think before posting!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    And make sure you do it the way THEY say or you're doing it wrong !!!
  • editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Sorry that happened! You can always go to the groups where like minded ppl gather to help each other. I am in a couple and they are VERY encouraging and helpful. I have seen some serious ranting and negative slams on forums, but for the most part people have been kind and fun and helpful, although the opinions aren't always what I'd do. Hope your future posts are more +++. (Looks like this one has a coupla nice responses so far LOL! ) Grace to you!

P.S. The kind response from your previous post was by debbiestine! She is one of the gals in my Made to Crave group! Maybe you could check them out!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It's the nature of the internet, sadly... we're supposed to be here to support one another, yet some feel the need to exert dominance or something by being snarky. People can get pretty darned nasty when they can hide behind the anonymity of a computer screen. It's like they've forgotten what it was like to be new here.

Don't be discouraged, though. Not all of us are complete jerks who think they're all that and a bag of kale chips :wink:
  • Pauline3290
    Pauline3290 Posts: 80
    Options
    Just a friendly warning to all newbies, don't post topics asking for help or advice. I did and got shot down. :embarassed:
    [/quote

I'm really sorry to hear that! As with any internet forum there can be unpleasant people but in the main I've found people to be really supportive here. I tend to read a lot of other people's posts and the responses and have learned a lot from those. I do hope your MFP experience improves.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Just flush the negative. It's like anything else on the internet, everyone has something to say and it's not always positive.

Feel free to add me to your friends. I'm always up for positive encouragement, answering questions etc.
  • anoroc751
    anoroc751 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, I saw your post and also the responses you got. I think you may have been too sensitive. I don't think the posters meant to be rude. One poster shared where you could find the answers and the other with the cheeseburger comment was trying to be funny.

That's the disadvantage with posts like this, you don't see the persons face, inflection or smile.

I do believe you will get the help you need here. Stick around for a time and see what happens.

Good luck on your goals
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't log cleaning, no matter how vigorous. Because apparently only hard cardio or weight training is an acceptable method of burning calories.

I dont think you understand