Newbies, beware.

Options

Replies

• jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You keep asking questions. MFP has a button that you can delete someone so you never see their posts again. I had to do that last week. Someone complained that I eat out to often which I am quite aware. I am away from home 7:30am - 7:30pm. Then I glanced at their food diary and they had ate at McDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken four times in three days. We are all here to transform into a healthier lifestyle. Please do not be discouraged.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I saw your response, I think you are too sensitive and need to relax. What was said was nothing bad at all. :happypillforyou:

Actually I already take them! I just thought that comment was uncalled for.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Quoting because it's worth repeating.
    this ^
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I read that thread. I've seen worse. That was pretty friendly actually.

I thought someone actually tore into you. Do your friends often say you have no sense of humor? Some people are like that.

As far as I know , the answer to your original question is, you have to lose the fat from your whole body. There really isn't anything that targets one area of fat over another except liposuction. You can do more core exercises so when the fat is gone you uncover something, but other than that it's all about the kitchen.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I'm super sensitive and even to me none of the replies were meant as rude. That's why one girl did the joking laugh afterwards. Honestly it seems like you over reacted to it. Not trying to be rude. As Taso said it's a good idea to search before you ask. Newbies are like lambs and there are lots of wolves on the internet.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    hmmmm.... I think that if you have your profile closed you won't get blasted by the bashers. You can have it so only your friends can see. and if those 'friends' bash you then you can delete them. I've posted some silly stuff too... I've never gotten bashed... you have to choose your friends wisely. remember you can always delete. it's not nice, but if maybe safer...
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I saw your response, I think you are too sensitive and need to relax. What was said was nothing bad at all. :happypillforyou:

Actually I already take them! I just thought that comment was uncalled for.

What was uncalled for about it? Nothing was said as an attack or rudeness. This is sad.
  • sandrajune72
    Options

The very first reply was spot on. Then there was a joke. Then there was another decent reply. Then a few more replies to clarify that the joke was a joke.

So, all in all, a simple question, some straightforward answers, a joke, and then a bit of extra noise.

If only every thread was that clean and efficient.

If you want unconditional niceness, make some friends here with like-minded folks. If you want answers, do some research or ask the forum. Usually you will get some factual answers mixed in with tons of noise and misinformation.

Ask a question that's been asked thousands of times before, and you will likely get ridiculed. Which is fair in my opinion. It's common etiquette on internet forums to search before posting.

Yes ok, but having never done this sort of thing before, how was I to know those things? I get it, i just didn't appreciate the "joke".
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    I can understand being sensitive, I am a sensitive person (ask anyone who spends 5 minutes with me) but even I didn't think that response warranted your reaction--It was clearly a joke! I think you need to take a deep breath and loosen up a little. a lot of people on here are sarcastic and like to joke, if you are going to be completely serious and super sensitive 24/7 then probably not a good idea to use the forums.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You may be right, but it upset me nonetheless. I am a bit fragile to be honest, and I thought it was ok on here to ask for other users opinions. Thank you for your kind words though.

It is perfectly okay to ask questions here, we all do from time to time. Keep doing so, how else are you going to learn? I read your other post and am really unable to see any real rudeness. I agree, you may have overreacted a bit; even posting this thread could be considered an overreaction.

May I suggest you have a cheeseburger, I saw you had written that you'd never eaten one. In my professional opinion, that is a problem. In the spirit of welcoming and good cheer, I present you with a REALLY good one. Bon Apetit!

innout.jpg
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I try to not post alot on the boards, I read mostly, I try to find supportive informative friends...I've been on this site off and on for a while...and was very disheartened to see how um hateful and all the forums have gotten.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find a post that offers really good advice and then PM that person. I haven't got a rude response yet doing that. I mostly do this to answer questions and just let them know that I saw their post and didn't want to publicly reply because of the backlash it would cause on the thread.

No one has every told me to pi$$ off yet so maybe that is something to try. People here do try to be funny and fail miserably. It is hard to tell sarcasm from type. And they do try to push their views. Just remember, they are not Doctors, Nutritionist, Dieticians or Trainers so their advice is just that, something to try but take it all at face value for the lack of hard facts.
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Honestly OP I don't the reply was at all rude.

That said, there ARE some genuinely off putting people you'll find anywhere on the internet even in a place where everyone is suppose to be united to one common goal. Remember that fact alone doesn't make everyone BFF's, and we shouldn't assume automatic comradeship.

I am pretty curious about a previous statement about not logging housecleaning as an activity because others say it doesn't count, is this actually true? That is, that someone would say 3 hours of cleaning isn't an activity?

It's been pretty well accepted that cleaning can be quite a decent work out. Washing dishes for 30 minutes may only burn 70 calories, but mopping up for 30 minutes can burn 150. 200 calories can easily be burned in an hour of cleaning, more for different types of strenuous cleaning.

I wouldn't log, say...dusting my lamp shade :tongue: but 2 hours of vacuuming , mopping, moving about the house and pushing furniture around? Yeah that can burn off some decent calories.

Perhaps you should log sexy time instead, which burns off upwards of 150 calories per half hour and see what they say then... :devil:
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi, I saw your post and also the responses you got. I think you may have been too sensitive. I don't think the posters meant to be rude. One poster shared where you could find the answers and the other with the cheeseburger comment was trying to be funny.

That's the disadvantage with posts like this, you don't see the persons face, inflection or smile.

I do believe you will get the help you need here. Stick around for a time and see what happens.

Good luck on your goals

THIS!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Hi, I saw your post and also the responses you got. I think you may have been too sensitive. I don't think the posters meant to be rude. One poster shared where you could find the answers and the other with the cheeseburger comment was trying to be funny.

That's the disadvantage with posts like this, you don't see the persons face, inflection or smile.

I do believe you will get the help you need here. Stick around for a time and see what happens.

Good luck on your goals

You may be right, but it upset me nonetheless. I am a bit fragile to be honest, and I thought it was ok on here to ask for other users opinions. Thank you for your kind words though.

You are correct in thinking that it is acceptable to ask for opinions. Unfortunately, fragility will shatter your expectations, as it shows.

Opinions are just that; statements based on personal views or judgments. How you handle them is entirely your decision. And in your opinion, opinions that don't coincide with your expectations are rude. I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    I can understand being sensitive, I am a sensitive person (ask anyone who spends 5 minutes with me) but even I didn't think that response warranted your reaction--It was clearly a joke! I think you need to take a deep breath and loosen up a little. a lot of people on here are sarcastic and like to joke, if you are going to be completely serious and super sensitive 24/7 then probably not a good idea to use the forums.

OK. Advice taken. I won't come on here again. I am going through a hard time at the moment, so probably don't need this! Thanks for your reply.
  • VooDooChylde
    VooDooChylde Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here too feel free to add me! I need encouragement too! lol
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Another friendly warning - if you post a topic in the forums and get a less than welcoming reception, posting another topic about how people are so rude to you will usually bring on more rudeness from the trolls that roam around here, I've seen it happen a few times now.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Quoting because it's worth repeating.

Again.

I didn't think it was that bad, either. One straight answer followed by some jokes.

It also helps to use proper adult anatomical terms like "abdomen." "Tummy" is for three year olds.