Want better results???? Ditch the elliptical and......

Options

Replies

• mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Yup, I was right, all the elliptical people came out and got offended in full force! I never said it didn't have it's uses, but people are going to twist things how they see fit. to the guy who lost 200 pounds. CONGRATS!! Something tells me though..that you also cleaned up your diet. give yourself credit, it wasn't just the elliptical machine.

So by that logic does using a stair mill make any difference either if people clean up their diet?

Any exercise will "make a difference". Heck, you don't even need to exercise AT ALL to lose weight if you don't want, as long as your calories in is less than yoru calories out. It's not just about calories. It's about challenge, effort, striving to hit a "10" in your exertion. If you just want to burn some calories to lose weight or work off that piece of cake..then sure...paddle away ont he elliptical for an hour. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that everyone was into fitness for fitness.

As far as the ellliptical being for the unfit and elderly. I stand by that comment. When you get "good" on the elliptical, why wouldn't you want to step it up? I just don't get being content with a certain level. I do'nt want to "maintain". If i can do 20 push ups, I wanna work to 25, or do one arms, or do them weighted. I don't just hit 20 and think "oh good, I made it, now i'm done". I"m competitive. I race, I like challenge.Fitness is a lifeslong pursuit for me, not just a tool to get thin.

Again, if you ARE content with where you're at, and you LOVE plugging away on the elliptical, then do so. For the rest of you (who don't have messed up knees and DO go to a gym) try the step mill. Hell..it was just a suggestion.

Ok, to break that down then 'any exercise makes a difference' exactly
    Paddle away on the elliptical - are you assuming that everyone merrily goes at no resistance? I always push as hard as i can every time i am at the gym as im sure you do as well, plus im not assuming that just because you use a stair climber that you are not working out to 100% in the gym.
    'When you get good on the elliptical why wouldn't you want to step it up?' i do, it has resistance levels and i get great fitness results out of it doing intervals incorporated into my circuits.
    Not being content drives me forward
    'if you want to work off that piece of cake paddle away on a *insert any machine,circuit,routine,song and dance here*
    You might not have assumed wrong but im guessing that a fair amount of people would take offence at you blanket brushing them for doing something to then say by the way what you're doing is wrong, you aren't doing this for fitness and you should do it my way. Out of interest how would you feel if someone said that to you cause they used an arc trainer or a super muscle burner turn me into a god in five minutes 4000 machine?

I'm doing this to get thin, i'm doing this to get fit, i do it to compete and now i'm doing it to beat you, using an elliptical to boot
    Of course, that's all just my opinion
    :wink:

"any exercise will make a difference". What I mean by that is that ANY exercise is better than NO exercise. Going out for a leisurely stroll may not be a hard workout (for some people it may be) for most of us..but it's certianly better than sitting on your *kitten* in front of the tv doing nothing.

As far as beating me, in what arena? If you want an "elliptical" competition, then yes, you'd probably win(I find the movement very unnatural, unbalancing and hard on my back actually). If you want a bench press competition, then yes, you'd probably win since you're a guy and I'm a girl. If however, the only cardio you do is the elliptical, I can almost guarantee I can outrun and outclimb you. Last I checked, there were no "elliptical" competitions out there. There are however, MANY running races, many climbing races (grouse grind race!), and lots of rock climbing and bouldering competitions.

Lol i don't recall any stair climber challenges either, and why couldn't you bench press more than me just because you're a woman. I don't just use an elliptical, i run, i cycle and swim, i compete in triathlons. You're absolutely entitled to an opinion, but don't presume that just because you do something else that it is therefore better than someone elses action on another piece of equipment. That kind of negative statement can stop someone in their tracks who was using an elliptical, was two weeks in, read your offhand comment and then gave up because they had no stair climber. I'm not saying you caused them to give up but i am saying it may have an impact.

For the record i burn 14 cals a minute with a Polar FT7 on an elliptical at level 16-18

Again what would you do if someone told you what you were doing was pointless and it was for the elderly? I'd be annoyed at someone telling me my effort was for nothing personally.
  • deedaltz
    deedaltz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What about the ARC trainer? My gym just got about twenty of them and I seem to burn more on it then the elliptical. Any opinions?
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    What about the ARC trainer? My gym just got about twenty of them and I seem to burn more on it then the elliptical. Any opinions?

I would LOVE a go on one of these! My gym was going to get one, but looks like it fell through :(

And walldancer, i personally wasn't trying to twist your words, there is no right or wrong, only what works well for each individual. Kudos to you for what you do and how you do it, no one can deny your achievements either, keep hard at it i know i will
    :smile:
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have an Elliptical and use it daily - but I don;t believe the calorie burn levels ascribed to it. I regularly use it for two one hour sessions daily but it is only at the end of the second session that I start to feel tired. I usually cut by half the calories MFP estimates for the Elliptical before I post them.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG flight of stairs (as in empire state building long), then DITCH THE STEP MILL!!! But...I do not. Going up and down a short flight of stairs can be good cardio, but if you have to go up AND down, you don't get the constant grind of up up up with no down break. I also run (currently training for a marathon), rock climb and hike. Step mill however, if you work out and do cardio in a gym is the most kick assingness piece of equipment in there.

And what do you do for the rest of your legs, like your hamstrings that are typically under developed in women?
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Well OP, if you don't want people to think you are insulting them you may want to cut back on the sarcasm and innuendo and just stick to facts about the exercise you want to explain :)

It's not always the content of the message but how it's delivered.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If not for the elliptical trainer I don't know that the unfit and elderly would have any hope of survival...lol. :)

This goes to show that there are a lot of people espousing random advice that don't really know what they're talking about. I believe this firmly falls into the realm of broscience.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If not for the elliptical trainer I don't know that the unfit and elderly would have any hope of survival...lol. :)

This goes to show that there are a lot of people espousing random advice that don't really know what they're talking about. I believe this firmly falls into the realm of broscience.

I think that is being overly complimentary.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    step machines are great if you dont have bad knees bad hips or bad ankles.. not using that as an excuse as I would love to be able to use it but after having 2 knee replacements and 2 hip replacements I cant walk up steps like people with good knees.. I just suggest you dont over do so that you wont hurt your knees as you will pay for it in later years!

Take that from someone who was an athlete and hurt her knee in gymnastics then again playing volleyball. One knee injury led to both knees and the hips having to be replaced
    Enjoy!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Did an elliptical workout this morning.

My Polar HRM indicated I burned 861 calories.

The elliptical machine indicated that I burned well over 1500 calories.

To be fair the elliptical machine thought I was a member of AARP....lol. :)
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Not a fan of most ellipticals -- but I love the AMT machines (adaptive motion trainers) -- they feel muchmore realistic to me.
    The stair thingies hurt my knees ... the AMT machines done. But in reality, I'd rather do zumba or kickboxing than either of them :)

I agree...Zumba or kickboxing is much better. I can do the elliptical for an hour & I really had not thought about it, but you are right. It makes my feet go to sleep and it hurts my knees. I have started using the arc trainer so I get less impact. We only have 2 stepmills at my gym & they are usually full, but they do kick butt....thanks for reminding me about this, b/c I am always looking for diversity when at the gym. I also like Jacob's ladder too...that will get your heart rate up :)
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    Did an elliptical workout this morning.

My Polar HRM indicated I burned 861 calories.

The elliptical machine indicated that I burned well over 1500 calories.

To be fair the elliptical machine thought I was a member of AARP....lol. :)

Had the same experience this morning my Polar HRM clocked in at over 600 calories on the Elliptical and my legs were burning , but then again I must just be my age :)
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Anything that is hard enough to tire you out after your planned workout time, yet not so hateful, painful, boring, or physically damaging that you can't keep doing it, is good enough. (Krusty seal of approval, anyone?)

If you like the elliptical, cool. I like the Arc Trainer, personally, and in twenty pounds, I'm going to add back in 2-5 mile runs (bad knee can't take it just yet). The ellipticals, particularly with arm thingies, are interesting for a change of pace, though. Just crank the resistance and go! :) Can't do them too often, though. My toes go numb after a while. It's weird.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    Personally I love the elliptical. I couldn't jog long before the elliptical...I can now jog 1.5 miles and I know it's from the time I spent on the elliptical. 1.5 miles without stopping isn't much but for me it is.

The best machine in the gym is the one you will use...period. Everyone has their favorites.
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My trainer and Doctor have both said based on my knees I cannot use this machine.

I would think most people with knee problems will not be able to do this machine.

I am not a trainer nor do I look like one but I do believe that as long as I am drenched in sweat and my heartrate is elevated for a sustained period that I am doing well. Do what works best for you.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    I truly think the OP had the right intention in her heart and wanted to talk about a machine that she believes in , that being said the way she delivered that message couldn't have been worse if she tried. You don't need to bash one thing to make what you believe in better.
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • takirb
    takirb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Meh, I use the elliptical 3 days a week. Just for cardio and burning calories. I don't need larger leg muscles. Treadmill hurts too much, and I have bad knees from years of soccer and basketball in my younger days. I always work up a good sweat on the elliptical. Not just a little dripping from the eyebrow, but that nasty slimey sweat that keeps your shirt wet down to your stomach till you do laundry lol I see many others each day at the gym just coasting along on the ellipticals or treadmills, and never really "exerting" anything, so I can see how people would think its not very challenging. The step-mill however would down-right kill me with cramps in no time. Never felt the need to try it cause there's no chance id be able to stay on it to keep my heart rate up anywhere near the amount of time I do on the elliptical. As was said earlier in this post, its often not the machine, its the user. I never see the step-mill users being in any more or less shape than anyone else. They're just drenched in sweat the same as anyone else who's really pushing the cardio machines. To each their own...