Want better results???? Ditch the elliptical and......

Options

Replies

• ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, run and ride a bike. No need for cardio machines :)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I was always under the impression that the stair master builds butt and thigh muscles. I certainly don't need any of those... You're just using your legs to walk up stairs. Wouldn't a workout that worked multiple areas be best like with running (or the terrifying elliptical)?
    It will not "build up" your legs/butt to a large degree. In order to do that you'd have to do heavy weight training and follow a bodybuilders diet. Even then, women tend not to bulk up like men anyway. The ellpitcal employs zero resistance really and "works" your heart some..but no real muscles. I do run, as I'm training for a marathon now. i cross train with the step mill twice a week.

Please define a "real" muscle as opposed to a "not real" muscle :) If the elliptical does not work your muscles, then tell me why my thighs burn after a new level of resistance, changing the direction from forwards to backwards, and digging in with my heels vs on the balls of my feet?
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Holy crap YES. Within 5 minutes of the stairmaster (what I am used to calling it), I am DRENCHED in sweat and DYING. I usually set a "floors" goal, because it feels more realistic and I can envision how far I've gone and how hard I've worked!
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 200 lbs on the elliptical.............I wish someone had told me sooner it didnt work

Dude! Best post in the entire thread! Thanks for your contribution.
  • prettythinlove
    prettythinlove Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would prefer the elliptical then the stairmaster because I don't want my calves gaining anymore muscle. I'm toned enough in my legs, I just want to lose body fat!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yup, I was right, all the elliptical people came out and got offended in full force! I never said it didn't have it's uses, but people are going to twist things how they see fit. to the guy who lost 200 pounds. CONGRATS!! Something tells me though..that you also cleaned up your diet. give yourself credit, it wasn't just the elliptical machine.

"Elliptical is a great start for poeple who are unfit or elderly..."

I believe that was your quote. So unfit people and my grandmother can benefit from this, but for more advanced and fit users...well, they shouldn't waste their time. :)

I haven't decided if you're just thriving off the attention or you really believe what you're saying.
  • Nellanad
    Nellanad Posts: 5
    Options
    I lost almost 200 lbs on the elliptical.............I wish someone had told me sooner it didnt work

Yeah, just think about how much more you could've lost :) haha...congrats btw.

Using strictly the elliptical (and a healthier diet) I have lost 25 lbs in the last 2 months...but now I am kinda wishing I would've used the step mill and I wouldn't have to lose anymore weight since it is apparently so much better...

You get out what you put into it people...if you work yourself hard, you will get rewarded. I rock out on the elliptical, 30 mins-60 mins a day...In 30 mins, I may not be sucking wind at the end of my workout, but I am drenched in sweat and my legs are sore (due to high levels of resistance). Now, I am not doggin the step mill...I have seen some people get on there and kill a workout...but what are the benefits if I can only do 5 minutes of it? Granted, its better than 0 mins of exercise, but why would I do that when I know for a fact I can do 'X' amount of mins on the elliptical. I will say though, that there are some elliptical machines that are crap...I have been on some that did all the work for you and then some that whoop my butt...but to totally discount it and say one is better than the other is garbage.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I actually do 20 min on treadmill, 20 min on crossramp and then 20 min on elliptical. I actually burn around the same amount of calories on the crossramp & elliptical per my heart rate monitor and get a great workout! I've toned and lost overall fat from this, spinning classes, strength training and aerobic classes. As well as at home dvds. I like to mix it up. My gym does have the stepmills and I always walk right by them. The people I see on them are sweating perfusely though! LOL Maybe I'll start to incorporate it into my cardio workout days.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I would use a step mill if my gym had one, but they don't. I have a treadmill at home and use elliptical at the gym. Most of the time I keep the elliptical at a high resistance and use my HRM. However, I believe in variety, not just depending on one exercise and/or machine.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I life I'm pittsburgh, used to do the cathedral of learning steps at PITT (72 flights) weekly.. 2 bad knees later,1 nearly bone on bone and doctor said no more stairs, more fluid motions, nothing that requires both my feet to be airborne at one time either, so jogging/running/jump rope, although fabulous is also out, so elliptical it is for some. People can only do what they are physically capable of and shouldn't be made to feel bad/like ****/our like it's an excuse. Stuff like that gets petiole injured and or causes them to quit. MFP and even trying to be more healthy and active.

It always feel like on here people have to explain/justify their business and defend why they do what they do.. Isn't it enough that most people are getting off their *kitten* and doing something.. Which is usually inherently better than what they were doing and if you think about it, better than what most people on an average do...

This isn't directed at all by any means, not even the OP, just as usual, the judgmental crew.. Also I'm 102 & can run up stairs allall day carrying car parts and entire couches on my back... Whats your excuse? Lazy *kitten*!! <<that was sarcasm..
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a gym. I do own an elliptical and just started the C25K program.

For calories burned, is there an entry in MFP for step mill?
    Is the closest comparison one of these --> "running (jogging) up stairs" or "stair treadmill ergometer"?
    Is the workout of running up and down bleachers similar to a step mill?
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Skip all that shiz and lift heavy :tongue:

Go for a long walk on rest days, do something light etc
    Yeah....that will help my heart and lungs be healthy. If only my mom had just lifted heavy she wouldn't be slowly dying of congestive heart failure.

So what your saying is that weight lifting will have zero affect to actually help you be healthier?

Depends in what you want to do. If you want nice body composition lift weights. If you want to burn your muscle mass away, run 60 miles a week.

Intensity also plays a part. If I wanted to do lighter sets where not training to failure and cut down rest times, I'm pretty sure my heart rate would raise significantly and would stay there due to only short rests between exercises.

I can do get my cardio and be healthy just by going for a walk after walk for 30-60 mins on a rest day.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    One size does not fit all. Do you. Do whatever cardio machine gives you the best results and that you will actually work. I incorporate the elliptical as well as the step master, among others, in my overall cardio plan.

Agreed!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have to agree... My treadmill died and I bought an elliptical last year to replace it. I HATE it. But.... sometimes I'll hop on just to switch up my exercise routine. I was amazed at how much higher the calorie burn shows than what my HRM actually says. I'm sorry I spent so much money on it because I could have used that nearly $800 on something else. I do LOVE treadmills, but nothing beats Zumba classes, walking./jogging outside, and weights! I've had such better results with those.
  • Meemoland
    Meemoland Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    get your knees checked out, turns out what i thought was old age was collagen deposits... very painful but they can be massaged away.
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    (1) Cannot afford gym fees; (2) Cost of one of those machines is OVER $2,000 and up to around $5,000; 3) I moved from my lovely home to this nice two story apt. building for those over age 55. I'm on the 2nd floor and our building has an elevator BUT... I'm taking the stairs a lot more these days & wearing my FitBit.

(4) Climbing the stairs, regularly, for fitness is FREE
    (5) I keep my car in the parking garage under the building. Now, when I come in with groceries, I don't use the elevator to haul them upstairs in one trip. I carry them up and make as many trips with the bags as necessary. To begin with, carrying a heavier load up the stairs helps burn more calories AND.... I'm getting my flights of stairs in for fitness for the day.
    (6) I'll be 75 in early December this year. What's your excuse?

LOVE YOU!!! ROCK IT GRANDMA!!!!!
    Blessings!!!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have never tried the stepmill. For me it is kinda like the treadmill and the bike. Why do the "controlled" version when you can just go outside and do the real thing.

I only do intervals on the elliptical. And I just go outside to walk the hills (or stairs) in my neighborhood. The park about 3 blocks away has several staircases anging from about 65 steps to 85 steps.

I just found out the Lake in the middle of town also has a staircase somewhere, with around 125 stairs.

Check out the stair climbing website for resources:
    www.publicstairs.com