Want better results???? Ditch the elliptical and......

Options

Replies

• DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Want better results?
    Change up your routine, frequently!
    I use the elliptical trainer but I don't get into a static one pace trance/zone for an hour. I do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) while on it. That means shorter time(30-35 minutes) doing intense speed intervals... But there are many many different versions of HIIT.. Very effective and time conscious!
    However, I also run, trail run, hike, spin, bike ride, take boot camp, strength train and do Pilates.
    Changing up your workout, routinely, prevents your body from "getting used to" any one particular exercise.
    Simple things, such as varying the order in which you do your workout even helps (for example, if you usually lift weights before cardio, do cardio first then lift.)
    No one exercise will continue to give you the same results forever, period.. Eventually we will stop making progress and will need to switch things up!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Skip all that shiz and lift heavy :tongue:

Go for a long walk on rest days, do something light etc
    Yeah....that will help my heart and lungs be healthy. If only my mom had just lifted heavy she wouldn't be slowly dying of congestive heart failure.

yeah, but she'd be ripped!

(not meaning to make light of the situation ... just dropping a bit of a sarcasm bomb there on the original comment.)
    No worries. I enjoyed the humor.

She's debating whether to go on the heart transplant list. We all want her to. She's afraid. We're hoping she'll come around as she's had some close calls recently. I think she's down to 20% of normal heart capacity.
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm not the only one who doesn't like the elliptical. I always said it didn't feel natural to me. My friends thought I was just being silly. My body just doesn't quite move that way. I haven't been to a gym in awhile, but if I do, I'll try the stairs. (My favorite thing at the gym is the rowing machine)
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    We don't have a stairmaster at my new gym, so devastated! So I do use the cross trainer/elliptical but in order to get an actual decent workout I do HIIT intervals on like... level 7000000000000000000000000.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I used the elliptical a bunch at the beginning of my journey, and transitioned to the treadmill and then to street running. it was a great way to help build my confidence and improve my cardio endurance, but after a while it stopped being a challenge, hence the switch to running.

The only time I every do it now is if I want some easy cardio or a low impact workout. It has it's place, but it's definitely good to add in some other cardio.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    Want better results?
    Change up your routine, frequently!
    I use the elliptical trainer but I don't get into a static one pace trance/zone for an hour. I do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) while on it. That means shorter time(30-35 minutes) doing intense speed intervals... But there are many many different versions of HIIT.. Very effective and time conscious!
    However, I also run, trail run, hike, spin, bike ride, take boot camp, strength train and do Pilates.
    Changing up your workout, routinely, prevents your body from "getting used to" any one particular exercise.
    Simple things, such as varying the order in which you do your workout even helps (for example, if you usually lift weights before cardio, do cardio first then lift.)
    No one exercise will continue to give you the same results forever, period.. Eventually we will stop making progress and will need to switch things up!
    Exactly. This week alone I've biked 60 miles. Ran about seven miles on a trail, Ran another twelve miles on a treadmill. Did an hour on the stair mill (240 floors). Did 30 minutes on the rowing machine (6500 meters). I think I did a half hour HIIT on the elliptical. I also downhill skiied one of the days. The previous week I added in a 6-mile hike and roller blading along with my usual stuff.

Cross-training is the way to go, especially as the weather gets better.
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    I guess I am fat and old, then, because the elliptical works great for me. I don't wimp out. I work hard. I sweat. I burn. I lose weight. I feel good. My knees don't grind (like they do on a step or Arc machine). Thanks for your support.

Nice commercial for the other thing. Good luck with that. You're a distributor, right?

When you become a fitness trainer and have earned the right to tell everyone that you know better than us, please, please do let us know. I'm glad the stair thing works for you. That doesn't mean it's the best exercise for everybody. Even us fat, old people.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    Yay! I'm not the only one who doesn't like the elliptical. I always said it didn't feel natural to me. My friends thought I was just being silly. My body just doesn't quite move that way. I haven't been to a gym in awhile, but if I do, I'll try the stairs. (My favorite thing at the gym is the rowing machine)
    The rowing machine is great. It's a full-body workout and great for the core muscles. My only problem with it is that once you get going, you can't take a drink or even wipe sweat off your face. I suppose you could wear a Camelbak or other hydration pack but I'd feel a little silly. I'm pretty parched at the end of 30 minutes on the rowing machine. I try to pre hydrate which helps some.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    Me, too! I want to be just like you!!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I do intervals on the elliptical and burn as much (if not more) than the treadmill. It is my non running day workout.

28 min: 5 min warmup, 2 min 10 resistence, 1 min 20 resistence (at the same rate as the 10) x6, 2 min cooldown.

you tell me your "grandma" can do that??????
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    I guess I am fat and old, then, because the elliptical works great for me. I don't wimp out. I work hard. I sweat. I burn. I lose weight. I feel good. My knees don't grind (like they do on a step or Arc machine). Thanks for your support.

Nice commercial for the other thing. Good luck with that. You're a distributor, right?

When you become a fitness trainer and have earned the right to tell everyone that you know better than us, please, please do let us know. I'm glad the stair thing works for you. That doesn't mean it's the best exercise for everybody. Even us fat, old people.
    Don't get discouraged. The elliptical machine has many benefits. Keep doing what you are doing. What the OP is doing is the equivalent of bashing marathon runners because a triathlon is so much harder. Well, just because something is harder doesn't make it necessarily better. If it's so hard that a person of modest fitness gets on the machine for five minutes and gets discouraged, then that's a horrible machine for that person.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    (1) Cannot afford gym fees; (2) Cost of one of those machines is OVER $2,000 and up to around $5,000; 3) I moved from my lovely home to this nice two story apt. building for those over age 55. I'm on the 2nd floor and our building has an elevator BUT... I'm taking the stairs a lot more these days & wearing my FitBit.

(4) Climbing the stairs, regularly, for fitness is FREE
    (5) I keep my car in the parking garage under the building. Now, when I come in with groceries, I don't use the elevator to haul them upstairs in one trip. I carry them up and make as many trips with the bags as necessary. To begin with, carrying a heavier load up the stairs helps burn more calories AND.... I'm getting my flights of stairs in for fitness for the day.
    (6) I'll be 75 in early December this year. What's your excuse?

I LOVE YOU
  • mes1119
    Options
    hit the step mill instead. Non jarring, more effective, actually simiuates USABLE REALISTIC movement. When I used to train, I slowly converted many a soccer mom to the step mill. I can't tell you how many of those women would brag about how they could go for an hour on the elliptical and burn SOOOO many calories....um hmmmmm.

5 minutes on the step mill at a level 5 and they were panting and DONE.

Elliptical is a great start for poeple who are unfit or elderly. Once you're past the "newbie" phase of exercise however, it's time to step it up..literally!!

I know I'm gonna get a hundred replies of offended people who just swear by the elliptical. For some reason that machine has a cult following (probalby because it's easy and shows huge calorie burns..which are false..but that is another thread). But...there is a reason that very few trainers actually use them THEMSELVES. It's unnatural movement, it's too easy to wimp out on it, and it's just simply not enough once you hit a more advanced level of fitness.

Flame away...most trainers are on board with me on this one. Step mill. GO THERE...

seriously though, you are completely ignorant. you can make any exercise hard with intervals and resistance.

as my post shows above you can get an AWESOME workout on the elliptical that is LOW IMPACT. even young people can have back, hip, knee issues. Personally, I have hip issues that messes with my knees and back as well. Extra running ALONG with stair leads to shin splints or injuries (I was a college swimmer that was forced to run stairs and run around a track, PTs explained that it is a one way track to shin splints and injuries-->which I had in a BAD way)

PLUS, there is a HUGE difference between messing around on elliptical for an hour on 1 resistance and doing intervals or putting it on a high resistance.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 200 lbs on the elliptical.............I wish someone had told me sooner it didnt work
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    hit the step mill instead. Non jarring, more effective, actually simiuates USABLE REALISTIC movement. When I used to train, I slowly converted many a soccer mom to the step mill. I can't tell you how many of those women would brag about how they could go for an hour on the elliptical and burn SOOOO many calories....um hmmmmm.

Elliptical is a great start for poeple who are unfit or elderly. Once you're past the "newbie" phase of exercise however, it's time to step it up..literally!!

I know I'm gonna get a hundred replies of offended people who just swear by the elliptical. For some reason that machine has a cult following (probalby because it's easy and shows huge calorie burns..which are false..but that is another thread). But...there is a reason that very few trainers actually use them THEMSELVES. It's unnatural movement, it's too easy to wimp out on it, and it's just simply not enough once you hit a more advanced level of fitness.

Flame away...most trainers are on board with me on this one. Step mill. GO THERE...

seriously though, you are completely ignorant. you can make any exercise hard with intervals and resistance.

as my post shows above you can get an AWESOME workout on the elliptical that is LOW IMPACT. even young people can have back, hip, knee issues

PLUS, there is a HUGE difference between messing around on elliptical for an hour on 1 resistance and doing intervals or putting it on a high resistance.
    I thought the weights vs. cardio fanboyism was silly. Now we are getting people who are fanboys of a specific cardio machine bashing people who use a different cardio machine. Beyond silly.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I just ride a real bicycle, all over the place. A lot...
  • mes1119
    Options

as my post shows above you can get an AWESOME workout on the elliptical that is LOW IMPACT. even young people can have back, hip, knee issues

I thought the weights vs. cardio fanboyism was silly. Now we are getting people who are fanboys of a specific cardio machine bashing people who use a different cardio machine. Beyond silly.

not trashing the stair master. have no way of doing it. just complaining about the fact that people think you can't get a good workout on the elliptical. You can get a good workout on ANY machine depending on how you do it. I know I don't look perfect yet, but my body got where it is now partly from these HIIT elliptical workouts.

Just don't like people discounting a machine because they don't know how to use it. ANYTHING can be made harder. Interval training on an elliptical is low impact but has the same calorie burn as interval workouts on the treadmill.

I run, lift, do yoga, swim and the elliptical. PERSONALLY, I think the body has the best weight loss results on variety.

ANY EXERCISE, REGARDLESS OF THE MACHINE, CAN BE MADE HARDER BY HIGHER RESISTANCE.

the end.
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    I have to disagree here. I have been getting most of my cardio work out on an elliptical, and I can see a huge difference in my legs and butt! But I dont think fine sculpting is going to come from your cardio workout. That will come from weight resistance. When I work out on the elliptical I do 60 second shifts of high resistance as fast as I can push, then 60 seconds of low resistance to slow my heart rate. then crank it back up for another 60 seconds...on and off like this for 20 minutes. If you dont think the elliptical can kick your butt try it like that. I promise you wont think it is a wimpy machine any more! :) But as far as I can tell, cardio is cardio, it is about getting your heart rate up, and sustaining. How you do it shouldn't matter. If you want to sculpt that is a different thing all together.

Yeah I completely agree
    I wiped out my knees a while ago in the 7th grade and then a second time after being in ballet. ever since then they haven't been the same. I can go bike riding and run a bit, but after doing the stairs I'm knocked out for a week at least. The elliptical really works for me in conjunction with lifting weights, doing ab workouts and such.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 200 lbs on the elliptical.............I wish someone had told me sooner it didnt work

That's so awesome!!!
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

not trashing the stair master. have no way of doing it. just complaining about the fact that people think you can't get a good workout on the elliptical. I know I don't look perfect yet, but my body got where it is now partly from these HIIT elliptical workouts.

Just don't like people discounting a machine because they don't know how to use it. ANYTHING can be made harder. Interval training on an elliptical is low impact but has the same calorie burn as interval workouts on the treadmill.

I run, lift, do yoga, swim and the elliptical. PERSONALLY, I think the body has the best weight loss results on variety.

ANY EXERCISE, REGARDLESS OF THE MACHINE, CAN BE MADE HARDER BY HIGHER RESISTANCE.

the end.
    I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the OP. All the machines have value. You can go hard or light on all of them.

Elliptical machines have become popular for two reasons: 1. They are low impact 2. They have a lowered perceived exertion for the same amount of work as other machines.

Sorry for the confusion.