Want better results???? Ditch the elliptical and......

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are actually good for people with bad knees, I burn and have lost a lot of weight using one, it does over estimate calories burned but with a HRM I still burn twice as much in the same time as the treadmill. So "ditching" the elliptical doesn't work for everyone...

The readouts are bs. elliptical does not burn more than treadmill..unnless you're walking on the treadmill and not really running. It's all about exertion. If you're on an elliptical and barely breaking a sweat, then run on treadmill and pour sweat and are panting with exertion..I don't care what the 'readouts" say...you're burning more when you exert more.
    You do realize that the elliptical machine has a resistance setting, right?

yup. and, at least at my gym, you can increase the incline as well. and then get into the programs. interval training is tough, but hills/cross country is even tougher. and, like you said, keep the speed up. I tend to settle between 150 and 170 on a good night, never really below the 130s even if I crank up resistance.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I was always under the impression that the stair master builds butt and thigh muscles. I certainly don't need any of those... You're just using your legs to walk up stairs. Wouldn't a workout that worked multiple areas be best like with running (or the terrifying elliptical)?
    The ellpitcal employs zero resistance really and "works" your heart some..but no real muscles.
    That's just pure BS.

Why are people so fond of blanket statements around her. Reality is much more nuanced than people want it to be.

I have NEVER seen someone get a sculpted look from an ellipitical (or a treadmill...but there is a reason for that too). However, the step mill does wonders for heart/*kitten*/legs. Also, you can mix up yourmovement on it. I usually do a minute of climbing up, turn to the left side and do a side step in front and behind for a minute, then do the other side. You can also do it backwards. Some people take two steps at a time ( I did this when I was training for the run up the grouse grind, as the steps up to the top are very steep). So, you not only work your quads and bum, you can also work the muscles of your thighs, inner and outer as well as gain balance if you don't hold the rails at all. this machine is much more versatile, and gets better results overall both for cardio and body sculpting.

What is body sculpting?

EDIT: Better question. What is anecdotal evidence?
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I was always under the impression that the stair master builds butt and thigh muscles. I certainly don't need any of those... You're just using your legs to walk up stairs. Wouldn't a workout that worked multiple areas be best like with running (or the terrifying elliptical)?
    The ellpitcal employs zero resistance really and "works" your heart some..but no real muscles.
    That's just pure BS.

Why are people so fond of blanket statements around her. Reality is much more nuanced than people want it to be.

I have NEVER seen someone get a sculpted look from an ellipitical (or a treadmill...but there is a reason for that too). However, the step mill does wonders for heart/*kitten*/legs. Also, you can mix up yourmovement on it. I usually do a minute of climbing up, turn to the left side and do a side step in front and behind for a minute, then do the other side. You can also do it backwards. Some people take two steps at a time ( I did this when I was training for the run up the grouse grind, as the steps up to the top are very steep). So, you not only work your quads and bum, you can also work the muscles of your thighs, inner and outer as well as gain balance if you don't hold the rails at all. this machine is much more versatile, and gets better results overall both for cardio and body sculpting.
    So you double-down with more blanket statements. Gotcha.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    so the problem, then, isn't the machine, but the one on it.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    Ellipticals are actually good for people with bad knees, I burn and have lost a lot of weight using one, it does over estimate calories burned but with a HRM I still burn twice as much in the same time as the treadmill. So "ditching" the elliptical doesn't work for everyone...

The readouts are bs. elliptical does not burn more than treadmill..unnless you're walking on the treadmill and not really running. It's all about exertion. If you're on an elliptical and barely breaking a sweat, then run on treadmill and pour sweat and are panting with exertion..I don't care what the 'readouts" say...you're burning more when you exert more.

yup. and, at least at my gym, you can increase the incline as well. and then get into the programs. interval training is tough, but hills/cross country is even tougher. and, like you said, keep the speed up. I tend to settle between 150 and 170 on a good night, never really below the 130s even if I crank up resistance.
    I always try to get a crossramp machine as the angle changes throughout the workout. Another thing I do is I reverse my stride every four minutes. This works different muscles as well. I use Precor's elliptical machines exclusively and I only do the ones with the arm attachments. I know nobody will believe me, especially the OP, but my arms have became cut simply by using the arms on the elliptical machine. I've since added in weights but the effects of the elliptical were very noticeable. You can't do that on a step mill.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Skip all that shiz and lift heavy :tongue:

Go for a long walk on rest days, do something light etc
  • nannanorem
    nannanorem Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like my Elliptical. My knees won't allow me to use a treadmill. Had one and had to sell it. Since I am a newbie, and 49 yrs old, I thought best to start with this. I do walk everyday, but when raining so that's why I bought an Elliptical. Maybe someday I will up grade to something different, but for now it works for me and it is a hard work out. Gets my heart a pumping!!:blushing:
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

Of course, but as you said "you set your own pace", and people tend to not to push themselves to the point of exaustion or high exertion on those things. Do some? Sure..but most do not. With a step mill (or treadmill), you can't cheat it. it's going X miles an hour..and you better keep up with it or you're flying off the back, or in teh case of the step mill...sinking to the floor. it forces you out of your comfort zone. Now, if you are one of those rare individuals who pushes your self hard without needing that push..good for you..but you are in the minority as far as people at the gym go. I've been a trainer for 10 years. Most people need the push.
    I know I do sometimes!
    I'm going to have to approach all of those hot, fit girls I see on the elliptical machines every day and tell them they are wasting their time.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

doooood, cardio machines are srz bznz.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    (1) Cannot afford gym fees; (2) Cost of one of those machines is OVER $2,000 and up to around $5,000; 3) I moved from my lovely home to this nice two story apt. building for those over age 55. I'm on the 2nd floor and our building has an elevator BUT... I'm taking the stairs a lot more these days & wearing my FitBit.

(4) Climbing the stairs, regularly, for fitness is FREE
    (5) I keep my car in the parking garage under the building. Now, when I come in with groceries, I don't use the elevator to haul them upstairs in one trip. I carry them up and make as many trips with the bags as necessary. To begin with, carrying a heavier load up the stairs helps burn more calories AND.... I'm getting my flights of stairs in for fitness for the day.
    (6) I'll be 75 in early December this year. What's your excuse?

Can I email this to my office, who descends on anyone who loses weight for quick tips but uses the elevator to go up 1 flight of stairs?
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    I have to disagree here. I have been getting most of my cardio work out on an elliptical, and I can see a huge difference in my legs and butt! But I dont think fine sculpting is going to come from your cardio workout. That will come from weight resistance. When I work out on the elliptical I do 60 second shifts of high resistance as fast as I can push, then 60 seconds of low resistance to slow my heart rate. then crank it back up for another 60 seconds...on and off like this for 20 minutes. If you dont think the elliptical can kick your butt try it like that. I promise you wont think it is a wimpy machine any more! :) But as far as I can tell, cardio is cardio, it is about getting your heart rate up, and sustaining. How you do it shouldn't matter. If you want to sculpt that is a different thing all together.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    This is true. What the OP is forgetting is that the stair treadmill also has a level setting which is simply a speed. On the ones I use, it goes from 1- 20. When I started I could do 30 minutes on level 4. That results in about 100 floors over the course of the 30 minutes. Now I do 60 minutes at level 8 because I'm always pushing myself and use my HRM to help me set the level. At that level I do 240 floors over the course of an hour. It does kick my butt. However, there's nothing keeping someone from setting it to level 1 which would be a much more leisurely pace.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Exactly. Chipmaniac is correct, you get out of it what you put into it. I can only explain this as lack of familiarity or image.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I love the eliptical. My Orthopedic Surgeon requested that I use it before any other machine. It's very low impact on the knees.

I can really push it on the eliptical. I am not so pretty when I'm done. If you do it right you're all sweaty and you can feel that awesome burn in your legs, abs and arms. It's made a huge difference in the shape of my body.

It's right for me so I use it. I think it's great for people trying to burn fat and get a good cardio workout.

I had problems using the Step Mill. I loved the workout but it contributed to the deterioration of my knee. More power to people that can use it. I wish I could. Maybe when I'm stronger!
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

Yeah....that will help my heart and lungs be healthy. If only my mom had just lifted heavy she wouldn't be slowly dying of congestive heart failure.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

Yeah....that will help my heart and lungs be healthy. If only my mom had just lifted heavy she wouldn't be slowly dying of congestive heart failure.

yeah, but she'd be ripped!

(not meaning to make light of the situation ... just dropping a bit of a sarcasm bomb there on the original comment.)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

If my grandmother had done some resistance training she probably would be able to walk instead of her bones hurting even when she's just sitting in her chair.

A combination of both works best. And cardio is really just a matter of preference. You can do low/moderate/high intensity on any machine or any cardiovascular exercise.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I use my elliptical all the time, no newbie or elderly here, LOL! Love it and burns alot of calories......

Me too! I use the elliptical, treadmill, precore, stepmill, track, etc (on max incline). Good to use them all (muscle confusion). I do each one for 30 mins and switch them up on different days. oh, and I'm a strength training junkie too!

challenge-1-1.jpg